Tales of Symphonia Story, Sylvarant Chronicles (1)

Tales of Symphonia Story 58

QUIZ START: On the long walk the next day, the Professor lectured you on the new healing techniques she learned by reading Boltzman's book. She was somewhat annoyed when you asked her to repeat a part, but she was glad that you would admit when you didn't understand what she said.

Later that afternoon, you guys stop and make camp; you should reach Hima tomorrow. After the fire was started...
"Aura." Kratos called, motioning for you to follow him,
"Yeah?" you ask, jogging to catch up with him,
"Its been a while since our last training session." he told you, "I wanted to test your sword skills."
"Fine." you agree. "But first, let me see your sword." he looked at you odd for a moment, but drew his sword none the less, you draw yours as well and mutter a spell,
"Duller." you say, finally. A pale glow surrounds your blade, and Kratos' too; when its gone, it appeared that a thin layer of gel surrounded the blades.
"...What did you do?" Kratos asked, examining his blade.
"Made it easier to duel. See?" you take the sharpest part of your blade and drag it across your wrist. The Mercenary looked at you, startled and worried; but his expression became confused when your skin wasn't cut, "It surrounds the blade with an unbreakable substance. You can't cut anyone, but it'll still hurt if you get hit."
"Hm..." Kratos pressed a thumb down on the edge of his blade, and slid it down the length of the sword. All he was left with was a small indention in his thumb from pressing down on the dull edge. "I see. Very well. Shall we?"
"Yeah."

After putting a decent amount of space in between one another, Kratos put his shield on his arm, still holding his sword, and got into a fighting stance. You channel mana into your sword, causing it to grow into a staff. And you got in a battle position as well. (one hand is near the blunt end of the staff, the other is up close to the blade. Your legs are apart, and knees bent slightly)
"Lets begin." the Mercenary told you, and that was all the warning you got. *Okay, this is just training. Try not to hurt him to badly.* you think. He lunged forward, he was a lot faster than you remembered. You bring the blade of your staff up hitting his sword. He quickly parried, pushing you back slightly. He swung at you with his sword again. To his surprise, you block his hit with the bladed end of your staff (one hand right at the base of the blade, and to hand near the middle of your staff) After pushing off his sword, you quickly swing at him, he barely blocked your hit with his shield. And you quickly jump back, getting out of his range, and giving you time to think *Don't be predictable. Try something he wouldn't expect...* you think watching Kratos for his next move. But in a split second he dashed straight at you, his sword arm out behind him *What's he going to-- SWING!* you realize. *But which way?* You had seen him do this in battle before. While running, he gathering mana in his sword arm, for a powerful swing. But you've seen him swing 3 different ways. At a downward slant, a horizontal slice, or an upward slant. *I just won't let him hit me.* you think. Almost at the last minute, you slam the blunt end of the staff into the ground, while jumping, almost like pole-vaulting, but with out the running start.

You jump right over his head, right as he attacked, a horizontal slash. When you land you quickly change your grip to near the blunt end, and spin back while swinging (you landed with your back to him) Kratos had just started to turn back to face you, and barely managed to get his shield up in time to block your hit. Because he was off balance, he stumbled slightly, giving you time get a better grip on your staff. Kratos was quick to regain his balance, and you lunge at him, staff ready to swing. When he did something that surprised you. He blocked your attack with his sword, and pushed you back with his shield (as in, physically pushing you) and let his sword slide off the end of your blade, he had blocked your attack in the air, when you realize *He's going to--!* he did an immediate downward slash, before you could even finish your thought. Your blade had been flying back, you twist your arms quickly, so instead of the blunt end being near the ground, and the sword in the air it was the opposite, and a section of staff was right in-between you and the path of the Mercenaries blade.

Even though you braced yourself, Kratos' swing was more powerful than you expected. When his blade met your staff, your knees buckle slightly, and your arms shook, sending a small vibration through your whole body. You lock your knees and manage to hold your ground. Kratos pushes down on his blade, putting more pressure on your staff and arms. You strain to keep your staff in one place *Damn!* you think, *I can barely keep my staff up with both hands, and he's only using one?! How strong is he?!* It looks like he's straining a little too,
Kratos pushed down harder on his sword *Man! I was having enough trouble already!* you think, your trying your hardest, but your staff sinks slightly, and your pushed back about a centimeter *Dammit!! Wait, what was that saying I heard? 'Use your opponents strength against them' Thats it!*

While pushing backwards with one foot, you stop trying to push Kratos' blade back. Letting your arms fall, and quickly stepping to one side
"--Ah!" he hadn't been expecting that, and because he was putting so much pressure on your sword, he stumbled forward. You quickly bring your staff down, intending to hit him in the back. But the managed to spin around and block it with his sword. You had a slight advantage because of elevation, but Kratos was still stronger than you. But even if he is strong, Kratos was using both hands to keep his sword up. One on the sword handle, and the palm of his other hand supporting down near the tip of the sword. But suddenly he grabbed your staff, and jerked forward. Pulling you to the ground, while pulling the staff from your hands, the Mercenary quickly tossed it a few feet away. It turned back into a normal sword because you were no longer supplying it with Mana. Before you even know what had happened, he was on top of you, his sword at your neck, he was holding down one of your wrists with his free hand, and one of his legs pinned down yours. Not seeing anything better to do, you plant free hand firmly on his (the one holding his sword) you were pushing back slightly. But, if this was a real fight, that wouldn't matter much. It was obvious to both of you, this was the end of the fight. You catch your breath, you were exhausted, that was the hardest fight ever.
"You have improved Aura. But that doesn't mean you still don't need to train." Kratos told you,
"I know." you respond breathlessly. He got off of you, and helped you stand. You quickly retrieve your sword, and remove the dulling spell from both weapons.
"Now, let's get back to the others." the Mercenary suggested,
"Right."

Kratos threw more wood on the fire, and sat back down, the sun had long set, and the sky was filled with stars. Yet again, he had volunteered to be night watch, Aura had as well. She had been doing this more and more, although he wasn't sure if it was because she wanted to be the night watch, or just wanted to keep him company. Whichever way was fine. Everyone was sleeping soundly, including Aura, even though she was supposed to be helping keep watch. But that didn't surprised him in the least, she really gave it her all in their duel earlier. A light breeze blew a few strands of hair loose, and they fell in front of her face. Kratos reached out, and pulled her hair away, tucking it behind her ear carefully. The Mercenary let his fingers run trough her hair slowly before his hand returned to his side. Noishe whined a little,
"I'm fine! Quiet!" the Mercenary scolded the dog. The creature looked past him, to sleeping girl. Before looking back up at him, then simply going to sleep.

Aura had been sitting right next to the Kratos, and fell asleep like that too, her chin resting on her knees.
He tried his hardest not to look at Aura, to keep his eyes focused on the flames of the fire, but his head turned against his will. Kratos looked into her pale face, she was exhausted from the duel they had that day. Her hair shimmered in the crimson flames of the campfire as she slept, not stirring or making a sound. Kratos had to resist the temptation, no matter how much he missed her, he tried to turn his head away. To look at the fire, the stars, Noishe...something else!! But he couldn't, his body just wouldn't listen to him. He leaned in closer and just as his lips were about to brush against hers, Aura's eyes flickered open. She let out a light gasp in surprise, but was too late.

WITH YOU: You just woke up, to find Kratos about to kiss you. You gasp lightly, but it was cut off when his lips met yours.
"Mmm...!" you mumble in surprise. *Was he going to kiss me while I was asleep...?* you think. Your eyes slowly slip closed and you kiss back. Your head suddenly began to feel funny, and you start to feel tired, *Wha...what's happening...?* you think. The Mercenary pulled away after a second. You open your eyes a bit, asking "Kratos...?"
"I-I'm sorry..." he apologized quickly, his expression told you he was genuinely, and truly sorry. "I had no right to--"
"K-...Kratos..."
"--?" he gave you a slightly concerned look.
"M-m...my...head..." then in an instant you lost consciousness, you fall backwards, but Kratos caught you.
"--Aura!"