Tales of Symphonia Story, Sylvarant Chronicles (1)

Tales of Symphonia Story 62

QUIZ START:

Yuan watched Kratos and Aura silently from where he hid behind a large, old tree trunk. *Where...where did those scars come from?* he wondered. After Aura had put her sleeve on,
"...We should be going." Kratos told her gently. As they began to walk a bright light flashed; the light blinding even through the trees. A bright ball of light whizzed through the trees just as Kratos and Aura turned back for the source of the flash of light. The light collided dead center with Aura's head.
"AHH!!" she collapsed to the ground, Kratos was instantly by her side
"Aura!"

Kratos stared at you horrified. He instantly fell to his knees next to you. He put a hand on your forehead... no fever.
"Aura!" he shook you gently, "Aura! Please, please answer me."
"ugh..." you whisper. But it was so quite that Kratos couldn't hear it. He held your limp body in his arms and glanced around the dark forest frantically, praying that it hadn't been the Desians... You moaned louder in pain and fatigue, your mind fading back and forth between reality and illusion. Your eyes hurt and you couldn't open them, it stung too much. Your head was throbbing; it felt like something was banging on the inside of your skull. Kratos wrapped his arms around you and carefully lifted you up, he held you close to his chest.
"Aura... please say something. Please still be here..." he begged.

You raise a shaky hand, and clutched your forehead and mumbled,
"...Yuan... I-I... Kratos... do you know him?" Kratos stared at you in surprise, unsure as to how he would answer your question.
"And if I do?" he whispered in your ear softly.

A faint, soft smile appeared on your lips.
"...I think I remember now." the Mercenary watched you anxiously, he wanted to know what you remembered "Yuan... I love him." Kratos' face fell. He hadn't expected that answer. He was so shocked and distraught that he nearly dropped you. "Key... Where's your key?...You have one, don't you?"

Kratos held back tears as he reached for the chain around his neck, subtly concealed. But his hand froze, not even halfway to his neck.
"I... I don't...know what your talking about..." he lied, lowering his hand to his side once again,
"Wh-what...?" you whisper "B-but I was sure you--"
"S-sh..." he whispered "D-don't...talk..."

He laid you gently on the forest floor and stared at the pitying moon through a break in the trees.
"Stop taunting me, dammit..." He looked back at you and choked on his tears. "Aura... why?"
"Kratos, please...where is he? Where...is Yuan?" you ask. He supported your shoulders, and held you close to his chest
"I-I...I don't know." he told you. When you heard a voice.
"...Kratos, Aura." it sounded like...
"Yuan!!" Kratos set you down on the ground, and stood in front of you "What did you do to her, Yuan?!" growled Kratos, you heard his sword being drawn.

Kratos was unbelievably mad at Yuan, he drew his sword, and Yuan instantly took a step back. Aura groaned quietly from where she was lying on the ground.
"What did you do to her, Yuan?!" the man demanded, stalking towards him threateningly,
"Wait! Kratos, please! Let me explain!" Yuan asked, holding up his hands and showing Kratos he was unarmed. The man took a step forward,
"What were you doing there?! Why were you watching us?!"
"I was worried about Aura! I was making sure she was safe..." he responded,
"What did you do to her?!"
"Wh-what?"
"The first thing she said after that ball of light hit her was your name! What did you do?!" Kratos demanded icily.
"Nothing! I swear! Why would I do this?! Why would I want this?! Please, I want to help." There was silence between the two for a minute. Kratos sheathed his sword, and Yuan sighed in relief.
"...How do I get her memories back?" Kratos asked.

You heard Yuan sigh in relief after the sound of a sword being sheathed. *Yuan...I love you...* you think.
"...How do I get her memories back?" asked Kratos. You felt his presence kneel next to you,
"I--...Kratos, I'm sorry. Perhaps he found you both because of me. Just like that time...."
"Don't bring that up again. Just...just please, help me bring Aura back. I can't... I can't stand to see her like this..."
"Of course." you felt a hand on your head, your eyes open slightly, and you hear Yuan chant.
"Bring back the memories that were lost. Destroy the ones made to replace them. Bring her back!" a blinding light filled your vision. And you black out again.

Aura lost consciousness after Yuan chanted a spell,
"...That should get rid of the fakes." Kratos supported her head,
"How long till she wakes up?" he asked softly, eyes resting on her face. From hearing his voice now, one would never have guest he was filled with anger and rage a few moments ago,
"A few hours...maybe."
"...sh-...She knew." the man told him,
"...?"
"About my key..."
"Why is he doing this?!" Yuan cursed softly. Kratos put an arm behind Aura's shoulders and another under her knees; he stood, and picked her up with him. Yuan stood as well, but then...he put a hand on his forehead "...Ah..."
"...What is it?"
"N-nothing... My head just started hurting. You take Aura back to the others." Kratos nodded, then they both went their separate ways.
When Kratos returned to camp, everyone was worried about Aura, and he quickly made up a story saying that she had been knocked out.
Later that night, its the usual. Everyone asleep, and Kratos the night watch. When there was a small groan, Aura woke up.

You start to wake up, there was a perfectly blue-black night sky filled with stars above your head. You groan quietly as you force your eyes to open fully, Kratos was watching you. You were back at camp, everyone else was asleep already. Tears form in your eyes, you remember what you had said to the Mercenary, and how...sad he sounded. You sat up and hugged him tightly, you hear him gasp quietly.
"I'm sorry I said that! It isn't true!" you tell him. Kratos hugged you gently "I'm so sorry! I didn't know what I was saying! Please, forgive me..." you were almost crying,
"Sh...sh..." he whispered soothingly. "I know...sh... Its alright. As long as your back to normal...thats all I care about..." he was still hugging you, and the tears that had formed in your eyes disappeared.

Later that night...

A healthy fire was crackling, but stones had been set up around it, assuring that the whole forest wasn't set on fire. The night air was cool, and a light breeze rustled the tops of the trees. You gaze at the flames sadly. While watching the blazing flames of orange, red, and yellow, you run your hand over your lower right arm. Where your scars were... And think about what you had said to Kratos earlier, how you said you had loved...Yuan. *Wh-what...what was I talking about?!* you think. *He's...my friend. Kratos... I think I broke his heart saying that...*
"...Aura?" a calm voice pulled you out of your train of thought. It was Kratos
"Oh, hey Kratos..." you say, he sat down next to you and offered you a cup.
"I made coffee," he explained "Here."
"Thank you." you say, taking the cup he offered. He watched you as you take a drink from the cup. The hot drink almost burned your mouth, and singed your throat as you swallowed. You flinched,
"...Its hot." Kratos told you,
"I-I noticed." you tell him, coughing once. You noticed a slight cinnamon aftertaste was left in your mouth,
"...Sorry. I should have told you earlier." he said, blowing steam off his cup, before taking a sip as well,
"Don't worry." you assure, and do what the Mercenary had done; blowing the rising steam off the cup. Soon, only a small trickle of steam was rising from the dark liquid. You take another sip, now a warming sensation filled your mouth, instead of a burning one; you liked the unique cinnamon aftertaste that was left, it was almost comforting. After, you lower the cup and stare at the dark liquid. You lightly drag your fingers along the glass surface. It was warm, and felt good in your hands.

"Kratos, listen...I wanted to apologize about earlier..." you start, keeping your eyes on your cup, instead of looking at him.
"...Its alright." he told you. You could feel his gentle auburn eyes on you, he was watching you, but you couldn't bring yourself to look at him, "You've already apologized. It wasn't your fault. Somehow someone had implanted fake memories in your mind. But as long as you're alright now, its all that matters." he told you. You smile a little,
"Thank you." you tell him softly.
"Hm..." is all he said as he continued drinking his coffee. You continue to sip your coffee as well. A...rather uneasy silence settled over the camp. The fire was the only thing making any noise. There weren't even any bugs chirping.

"...I wanted to talk to you." Kratos said, breaking the silence. You shrug your shoulders to indicate that you didn't mind,
"Alright. What did you want to talk about?" you ask. But by just looking at him, your expression fell slightly "...My scars?"
"...If it's alright with you."
"It's fine."
"..."
"...There isn't really much to talk about." you explain, before taking another, slower, sip of coffee,
"Why do you say that?" the Mercenary asked.
"Because...I don't remember anything about them." you tell him truthfully, looking at the flames of the fire again. The bright flames shimmered in your silver eyes. Sadness filled your expression,
"Perhaps, those are memories that are...best forgotten." Kratos suggested gently,
"No..." you argue softly, "I don't care how much pain I've been through, or how sad my past was... I want to remember."
"...I see." he agreed.