Tales of Symphonia Story, Sylvarant Chronicles (1)

Tales of Symphonia Story 67

QUIZ START: Tomorrow you leave for the Tower of Salvation. After everyone had gathered back at the Inn you ate dinner together, and shared small conversations. Later that night everyone fell asleep.
Due to the beds in this particular room being no more than futons, there was enough room for everyone to stay in the same room. The futon you chose was laid out right next to Kratos' though the two of you thought nothing of it.

Kratos wasn't asleep even long after everyone else was. In her sleep, Aura turned, moving over a bit, and pillowed her head against his shoulder.
"...!" he did his best not to stiffen, not wanting to wake her. He was about to wake her, but decided against it when he saw how peacefully she was sleeping. With gentle nudges and light tugs Kratos coaxed the girl to lying in the crook of his arm, her head pillowed against his chest. He rested his arm around her waist, and leaned his head against hers, exhaling softly against her temple. He closed his eyes, remember what she had asked him so innocently that afternoon...
"When you leave to continue traveling...could I come with you?"
"...you don't remember..." he murmured sadly, "...you don't remember...what's waiting for both of us at the end of this journey... I can't allow you to follow me back There... I won't allow you to be put through so much pain again..." Kratos drifted into reluctant sleep listening to Aura's soft breathing.

Early the next morning, so early that it could be considered late night, you began to wake. You heard a soft noise...the soft beating of a heart. You felt that you were leaning lightly against a person, one strong arm rested comfortably over your waist.
You open your eyes slowly to find that you'd cuddled next to the Mercenary in your sleep. You wondered why he hadn't eased you away before he wend to sleep, he'd probably been awake when you moved against him; the thought occurred to you that... maybe... he didn't want to push you away. Upon thinking for a moment, you realize that you didn't really want to pull away, either. You cuddled a little closer, draping an arm across him lightly; his arm tightened a bit as a response to your shift. After pillowing your head on his chest again, you close your eyes and listen quietly to the rhythmic beating of his heart. Soon you found yourself drifting off to sleep.

Your dream wasn't clear...but you could just bake out the form of the docks in Luin, and the fountain. The sun was setting; casting sparkling colors over the water. Your eyes quickly found Kratos and...you? Maybe that was the past you...
"May I...?" he asked. He held up...Your locket? He held the chain by both ends, implying that he wished to put in on for you...er...her. She held up her hair with a small smile; his hands moved behind her neck, and he fastened the clasp for her, pulling his hands away once the chain had been clasped.
"Thank you..." she murmured, turning the locket over in her fingers, "Thank you so much...this is beautiful..."
"...I'm glad you like it..." he responded. The vision swirled as the two leaned towards one another for a kiss.

"Mm..." you made a small noise of discomfort when you felt your pillow shifting.
"...I'm sorry." Kratos' voice apologized softly from over you. From the feeling, you could tell that your cheek was cupped in his palm; he'd been setting your head down, "I didn't mean to wake you...go back to sleep." he rested your head on the pillow, and slipped his hand from under your cheek,
"Right...." though your eyes were closed, you found yourself unable to go back to sleep; you sighed softly. The door out of the room opened and closed as Kratos left. You turn the thought over in your mind *...did...did Kratos... give me my locket?* you wonder. You heard someone sit up,
"...That was Kratos, wasn't it?" Lloyd's voice asked. You weren't willing to get up, and listened to him leave.

"Kratos! Look out!" you jumped to your feet, heart leaping out of your chest. You dashed outside in time to hear Kratos demand,
"Stop!!" his sword was pointed to someone; they teleported away despite the Mercenary's demands. Blood dripped off of the end of Kratos' as it lowered to his side,
"Kratos! Lloyd!" you call, quickly dashing down the stairs and hurrying to them, "Wh-what happened!? "
"....Nothing. We didn't mean to worry you." Kratos responded, sheathing his sword, "Lloyd...thank you."
"Ah, it was nothing." Lloyd assured, "But who was that?"
"I would imagine it's that assassin." the Mercenary responded, "He managed to get away," a small smirk tugged his lips for a moment, "But I gave him an injury he will not soon forget."
"I have a feeling I've seen him somewhere before..." Lloyd mumbled.
"Perhaps you have." Kratos responded,
"Are you both alright?" you ask worriedly,
"I'm ok." Lloyd responded with a small nod,
"The assassin did not manage to harm me. I'm fine." Kratos assured.
"Good..." you sigh gratefully. A sparkle on the ground caught your eye. *Hm?* Kratos began to walk back to the Inn, while you look to where the sparkle came from.
"Whats that?" you ask to no one. Lloyd noticed it as well, he picked it up
"Its a ring...with," he squinted at the ring, "Y and M on it."
"Y...M...could I see it?" you asked. The boy handed it to you without argument. Something felt familiar about this ring, though you weren't sure why, "Hm..."
"Do you recognize it?" the brunette asked,
"I think I've seen this before..." you respond
"Well...you keep it then."
"Alright." you unhook your locket, dropping the ring onto the chain, and then fasten it around your neck again. Seeing the locket jarred the memory of that dream from your mind as everyone came outside; Kratos had apparently woke them. You were pulled into a small discussion before you could ask the Mercenary about your locket,
"It's finally time." Lloyd mumbled,
"...We should hurry." Kratos agreed. Everyone started up the mountain path without question.

"Kratos. Wait a second." you reaching out a hand as if to stop him. Lloyd followed the others, and Kratos walked over to you.
"Is something wrong?" he asked
"I-in my dream, last night...I saw..." you trail off
"What?"
"You...putting my locket on me. I was thanking you for it..." complete shock crossed his face before he could stop it. "Kratos...did you give me my locket? Do you... Do you know something -anything- about my past?" but the shock disappeared, and he looked away.
"I am truly sorry, Aura." he apologized, "But...I can't tell you anything."
"Wha--?" you start, but you were cut off by a call,
"Guys, come on!" It was Sheena; she and everyone else were heading up the path already. Kratos walked up to meet them without waiting for you. You follow him slowly. *He can't tell me? Why...?*
"Aura, something wrong?" asked Lloyd. You force a smile,
"N-no, no. I'm fine. Don't worry about it."

Once you arrive on top of the plateau you found the man from yesterday was waiting with four transport dragons.
"I've been waiting for you." he greeted, "Six of you, please board the dragons in pairs. One person must ride on their own."
"I will ride on the same dragon as the Chosen. Protecting her...is my job." Kratos volunteered. Raine gave him a small look, though you couldn't identify it,
"Lloyd, who are you going to ride with?" asked Genis.
"I'm riding with Aura!" Sheena asked,
"Fine by me." you respond with a grin. Lloyd decided to ride alone; Genis rode with Raine. The dragons lowered their necks, allowing you to climb on together. The dragon flapped his wings and took off; you do your best to keep your yes up, your hands clenched on the edge of the saddle.

"What do you thinks gonna happen?" asked Sheena quietly, worriedly,
"...I don't know..." you respond softly, "But...I've got a really bad feeling..."

But when you arrive at the Tower... the feeling was growing worse and worse and worse...
*Colette...where are you?* you wonder.

Colette and Kratos already went inside...
♠ ♠ ♠
Now, the stories will continue in:

Tower of Salvation