‹ Prequel: Traitors
Sequel: Defector
Status: Rewritten and Complete

Renegade

Recently

Sad is far from the emotion which I would choose to express how my parents felt when I told them I was moving out. I was barely around and I was one less mouth to feed. I didn't inform them where I was going, but somehow Mom knew. She knows everything. My brother, Travis, gave me a longer hug than our parents trying to make the parting emotional for me which worked. We had a dysfunctional relationship; we never fought. That's not normal for a brother and sister, but that's how we operated. It made me sad to say goodbye to my home, but it was the best decision I could have made for not only myself, but for them as well.

I live at The Tunnel, the modified metro station which has been abandoned since China bombed us almost eleven years ago. It's fixed up and operating well these days. We've added on a few more sleeping areas since people from the central division are fleeing this way. This also means we had to separate the group into two, for now. There's a possibility we may have to split again. Luckily for me, I got to stay in the same area along with Quela, Hunter, and Logan. Gabe decided to take Draxer Owens, a weapons specialist, and be the instructors at the add on location which is five minutes from the original spot. Hunter and Logan are in charge of all the older recruits while Gabe and Drax volunteered to be the ones to train the newbies.

A few months ago, the head of the eastern division, "Mayor" Nolan Fierce, stepped down from his position which was taken over by Drancasa Salomon. She hasn't been seen by the public and refuses to make any direct contact. The only ones who really know who she is are the people who work for her. From what we've gathered, she is a very hostile and aggressive person. She has guards and policemen on high alert and scattered everywhere, especially the capitol building. I've heard talk that Gabe has some kind of plan brewing to get back in there, but he isn't saying much if your name isn't Hunter or Logan.

Weeks after Nolan Fierce stepped down, the head of the central division also withdrew from their leadership role to which Dranca accepted to fill until someone permanent could take that position. Months later, she is still running most of the country. We're not entirely sure what is happening in the western division or if it's still operating, but from what we're told no one is allowed in or out.

After some setbacks, Gabe suggested I take a break from burning down buildings, but once I was back on my feet he sent me out on retrieval assignments. With Dranca located in this area and heavy security, not many riots occur here, but that's not stopping us from recruiting more rebels. The ones who make it to us, inform us where the rest of their group is and we head out to bring them back safely and effectively.

As for me, I'm still the same old Phoenix, mostly. After Mayor Fierce tried to eliminate me by burning down his home with me still inside, I was taken off assignments for awhile to recuperate at The Tunnel. I was out of commission for the entire month of January until I healed from my major concussion and severe burns. Even though it's months later, people are still walking on egg shells around me. I have obvious scars on left arm, but other than that everything else healed up nicely. I tell everyone I don't remember anything that happened that night which most believe except Logan. He always knows when I'm lying, especially when it's blatantly obvious. I continuously wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air due to reoccurring nightmares of being trapped in that burning house as Mayor Fierce watches with a joyous smile.

As the nightmares have been getting worse the passed couple weeks, I have been "accidentally" falling asleep on the couch so I don't wake him up in the middle of the night. Some nights, I don't even sleep at all. On those nights, I walk into town and raise a little hell. Having stealth and combat skills really come in handy on those types of nights. Most of the time, I just go into the dusty old dump of a building where we used to go for the public hangings. It's still unoccupied and degrading into nothing which makes me want to put it out of its misery and just burn it to the ground. I fidget with my lighter a few times, but lack the nerve to actually do it.

It's nearly eight o'clock in the morning when I decide to give up on sleeping. I roll off the couch feeling the crick in my neck from staring at the ceiling for the passed two hours hoping I'd fall asleep. I dig my elbows into my knees rubbing the back of my neck wishing I had slept. I push up onto my feet and creep into Logan's room grabbing my bathing suit from behind his bedroom door. I peek over at his still sleeping body wishing I could join him. Although, crawling into bed with him would wake him up for the day and he deserves a few more hours of sleep. To the left of him is his bearlike dog, Kyra, whose head rises at the sight of me. Her tail pounds into the comforter excited to see me.

"Keep an eye on him for me." I whisper as silently as possibly. Her tails pats faster on the bed. I smile leaving the room quickly.

I slip into my bathing suit in the bathroom nabbing a towel from hall closet. I walk outside where I'm greeted by a blast of muggy air and the morning sun. I shuffle my bare feet across the dew covered grass. I toss my towel aside and stare at the glistening still water of the in-ground pool. I graze my foot against the water feeling how chilled it is. I sigh walking along the edge toward the deeper end pulling my long red hair back into a ponytail. I rest my hands on my bony hips hesitating to dive in right away. I regret testing the water when I should've just jumped in.

I curl my toes around the edge of the pool extending my arms out in front of me. I bend my knees slightly and before I have a chance to think about it, I plunge forward into the water. The chill of the water pricks my skin like needles sending my heart into a rapid beat. I push myself toward the surface feeling relieved to get air into my lungs. My teeth chatter in time with my heart. I dive back under water hoping it'll help me adjust to the temperature faster. To no avail, I begin swimming laps which greatly helps warm me up.

At the end of a lap, I notice a human sized shadow blocking out the sun. I swim to the edge, folding my arms across the concrete. He crouches down to be more level with me. My eyes study his bare chest covered with ink before reaching his hazel brown eyes. He lowers his burning cigarette toward me which I take a drag from without delay. I blow the smoke away from his face, but I'm sure he wouldn't have cared if it was in his face.

"Cold morning for a swim, babe." He wedges his cigarette between his lips. I watch the smoke exit from his nose. "How long have you been out here?" I hear a splash behind me. I whip my head around as Kyra swims up next to me giving me a nudge. I pet her a little before she takes off in the opposite direction.

"Not sure." I utter out feeling my teeth start to chatter again. "Did you come out to join me?"

"Hell no." He rubs his bare arm to warm it up. "Only way I'm getting in there is if you were naked." He laughs into his cigarette.

"That can be arranged." I tauntingly reach for the string keeping my bathing suit top secured on my body. His arm reaches up and he waves his hand back and forth.

"Good morning, Mrs. Reed!" He yells. I glance over my shoulder and see his older neighbour looking in our direction. She smiles and waves before resting on her porch with the paper and coffee. He leans closer to me. "You forget that I have neighbours now. I don't live in the middle of no where anymore." I look away from him for a second. He clears his throat gaining my attention back. "Anyway, Brestion called. He wants us both at The Tunnel like a half hour ago so I suggest you get moving."

I lift myself out of the pool and slip the towel around my shivering body. Logan snuffs out his cigarette in the ash tray on the porch. He calls Kyra out of the pool and she happily obeys. He turns to go inside and I examine the scar along his back. Kyra shakes off the water drenching her fur sending it in my direction. She trots toward the door, but sits down waiting for me to go inside with her. I giggle to myself and follow her inside.

I quickly get changed and meet Logan in the car to go to The Tunnel. His old house was about fifteen minutes from The Tunnel, but now he lives only five. The roads are busy with people on their way to work for the day. We hit a little bit of traffic which is when he switches on the radio for white noise. I bring my feet up onto the seat with me and hug my knees suddenly feeling sleepy.

I must say, no one was expecting it especially from her. I hear on the radio. I reach over and turn up the volume. Frills has been an anchor for twenty some years. Maybe she had an aneurism or something. I guess we'll never know what truly was going through her head. Up next -- Logan shuts off the car as we are parked in the parking garage across from The Tunnel. He gives my knee a pat before opening his door. I follow his actions throwing myself out of the car. We walk across the street together and down the steps to the backdoor. He pulls it open letting me enter first before securely closing it behind him.

I head down the hall passing the training room where Quela and Hunter are sparring. They train together every morning for hours like clockwork. They're very close friends, if that is even the proper term for them. I wander into the plant where few are gathered watching the giant monitor displaying the news from last night. Logan watches intently next to me, but my focus is on Gabe who has his arms folded across his chest glaring at me. Cathy Frills rambles on about different current events. She hits the story about Julio's Grille which is when Gabe narrows his eyes at me. He marches in my direction looking heated.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" He screams in my face. Everyone is focused on the footage of Frills that they ignore Gabe shouting which isn't anything new, especially if I'm involved.

"Good morning to you too, princess." I retort back.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Gabe continues. "I'm amazed you didn't get caught."

"What are you even talking about, Brestion?" Logan chimes in pushing Gabe back a little. A gun shot resonates from the recording which catches my attention.

"I'm talking about the fire at Julio's, Fierce." He shoves Logan harder. "Pyro, over here, set the place on fire."

"No I didn't!" I bark at him. I notice Logan's ear twitch as he glances back at me well aware I'm lying.

"Oh please!" He yells louder. "Your name is written all over that." He turns to Logan. "Get your bitch a tighter leash." I lunge toward Gabe, but Logan forces me back and stands between us.

"Look, she was with me two nights ago. I can vouch for her. She didn't set any building on fire." I glare at Gabe over Logan's shoulder. Gabe scowls at me then moves his gaze.

"Whatever." He hisses. "Head over and see Drax. Hopefully he'll keep you busy long enough so I don't have to look at you for the rest of the day."

I sigh lightly as he stalks away from the scene. Logan's shoulders slump forward before he turns around and grips onto my wrist dragging me into Gabe's old office which Logan now shares with Hunter. He forces me in first and slams the door shut behind him. I can almost see the steam exiting from his nose and ears.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" He yells louder than Gabe did.

"And here I thought you'd be mad. I'm glad I was wrong." My sarcastic remark adds onto his anger.

"Phoenix, why would you do that? You know what's at stake here. You know how dangerous that is. You can't just waltz around and burn buildings down anymore. My father never reached the level Dranca is at now and she's only been in office for a couple months. My father was in office for years. She's a new opponent and we don't know how she plays. We don't know her in general. You can't --"

"I know, okay?" I interrupt him. "Look, I wasn't thinking. It was three in the morning and I was already staking the place out for weeks and --"

"Wait, what?" Shit! "You were planning this for weeks? Why the hell would you -- you know what? Nevermind." He lets out a frustrated sigh. "Babe, I understand you've got a lot going on in that mind of yours, but you can't let this control you. Next time you feel the need to burn something down just talk to me first. I'd like to know about these things so I'm not blindsided by Gabe later." He turns to leave but stops and looks back at me. "And since we're being openly honest about things, stop sleeping on the goddamn couch, if you are even sleeping. I feel like you haven't for awhile." He rubs his temple heading back toward the door.

"They ruled it as an accident." I mention with a smile slowly creeping onto my face.

"Not the point, Detope." He says sternly, but I can tell he's fighting a chuckle.

"Admit you're a little proud of me." I call after him as he swings open the door.

"Shut up!"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's almost 3am. Goodnight!...or good morning...I don't know your life!