‹ Prequel: Traitors
Sequel: Defector
Status: Rewritten and Complete

Renegade

Drax

I decide to head over to see Drax by myself. He doesn't get mad at me often, but when Logan gets steamed he has to separate himself from me for a little. Knowing him, he's probably outside having a smoke trying to figure out what he sees in me. The walk on the tracks always feels never ending. It's mostly a straight line with a few curves here and there. I stick close to the wall even though there are lights illuminating the way for me. Although, I am left in the dark in a few areas even after telling Gabe for weeks to get the bulbs changed. The walk isn't as long as the walk from Logan's place to town, but without scenery and being trapped underground, it seems longer.

I hike up onto the ledge and up the stairs to the second and newer plant. Newbies wander around aimlessly still trying to figure things out and are adjusting to their new lifestyle. I see Drax talking with a group of teens attempting to calm them down. I stare up at their monitor and see the footage of the news paused right before Frills was shot. I chuckle to myself seeing the difference between the two locations. Drax spots me and his facial expression changes from somber to a huge grin.

"I thought I smelled trouble." He pats a teen on the shoulder to get passed him to have a word with me. "Although, it could've just been gasoline. Same thing, eh?" He folds his arms across his chest and shakes his head. "Little Red," he laughs, "what have you been up to?"

"Nothing, honest." I smirk giving my shoulder a shrug. He grabs a remote from his back pocket and freezes the screen on the Julio's Grille segment from the news.

"Sure looks like nothing." I roll my eyes. "What exactly were you thinking?"

"I was thinking that I already had this talk twice today and I really don't want it a third time, 'kay?" I brush passed him.

I run into a few kids along the way while the others hug the wall scared to touch me. I waltz into their training room which has more equipment than ours. I watch a pair practice their fighting skills, but I can clearly see how novice they are. Their footwork is weak and they aren't anticipating each other's moves. They suddenly stop when they spot me watching them. I throw my hands up by my shoulders and back away. They start up again when I'm turned away from them and in the corner. I run my fingers along the set of knives Drax left open. I glance at the set and realize there is one missing.

A loud thud erupts next to me startling me. I peek over and see the missing knife embedded into the wall directly next to my head. I grip onto one of the knives without hesitation and turn launching the blade in the direction the knife in the wall came from. The two newbies stop fighting when the blade enters the chest of a dummy which Drax is using as protection. He pops out from behind it and admires my work.

"Were you two taking notes?" He barks at the two. They stare at me with awe. "Scram!" He yells sending them into a panicked sprint. "Your lessons don't begin for another three hours." They race out of the room quicker than the wind. Drax sighs ripping the knife from the dummy. "These kids are KILLING me."

"You signed up for this." I joke yanking the knife from the wall. He tosses the one in his hand next to the others.

"Trust me, Little Red, no one signed up for this." He leans against the wall.

Drax was one of the leaders of the rebellion riots in the central division. He lost most of his crew within the first week of the riots. He retreated with the remaining few saying it's better to know when you've been beaten. We received his distress signal which we answered and met him halfway. Logan and I brought him and the seven he had left to The Tunnel where they have been staying since. Drax gets along with everyone and is great at leading, so we figured he could be a good counterpart for Gabe since no one can get along with him.

Drax is a weapons specialist and has a lot of knowledge on the human body. Within the first few minutes of meeting him, he could tell I had muscle restoration procedure done on my right thigh. He notices small details and is highly intelligent, even with little schooling he's had like the rest of us.

"Where's your boy?" He sighs handing me a few knives.

"He's cooling off." I chuck the first knife into the shoulder of the dummy. "I kind of pissed him off." The second knife lands in the center of the dummy.

"What doesn't piss him off?" I giggle, but I look over at Drax and realize his question was legitimate. "I mean, the guy is a time bomb waiting to go off at any second." I throw another knife, hitting the leg. "And he's not always going to have a cigarette to calm him down. I don't know who he thinks he is, but he acts like he's the most tattered and troubled soul and he's not." I look over at him, snatching another knife from his palm. "We've all been through hell and lost people. He's not the only one. Watch out for yourself, Little Red. Just a little warning from me to you." I hurl the knife into the heart of the dummy.

"I can take care of myself." I hiss sticking my nose up at him.

"Prove it." He growls.

He sends his left fist in my direction instigating a fight with me. I quickly duck down and jab his side. He fumbles before steadying his feet. He pauses seeing if I'll take the offensive, and when I don't he hurls his fists toward me with rapid force. I have difficulty blocking his blows since he's stronger than me, but I don't let that shake me up. He hits my stomach knocking the wind out of me instantly. I trip over my feet and end up crashing into the storage lockers. I glare up at Drax who has a smirk written across his face.

I push off the lockers and kick my foot into his shoulder. I swing my other leg around and kick his hip. He takes the blows with ease, but by the look on his face I can tell he wasn't expecting me to retaliate. I thrust my fist toward his face, but he grabs onto my wrist to stop me. He leans closer to me brushing his nose against mine insinuating he no longer wants to spar. I stare at his bright blue eyes confused as to why it appears he wants to kiss me. He suddenly releases my wrist, pushing me away from him. He walks toward the dummy and begins to remove the knives from it. I turn my head to see Logan standing in the doorway looking slightly panicked.

"I just got a call from Mae. She said there's an emergency and I need to be at the hospital now." I keep the confused look plastered on my face.

"What's wrong?" I ask crossing across the room.

"She didn't say."

I look back at Drax quickly. He glances in my direction showing no emotion. I grab onto Logan's hand and follow him out of the room.