Inside the Lie

Five

"Austin, talk to me, please." Austin opened his eyes the next morning and looked at Andy.

"I'm fine. Don't worry."

"I wish I could do something."

"I know you do." Austin's familiar, steady gaze communicated the same, high level of emotion it usually did and Andy couldn't muster the will to summon a smile to his face.

The cell opened and they were forced to leave. Later, as they stood in the yard, in tense, grieving silence for the young life that had not yet been taken, a familiar and most unwelcome presence disturbed them.
"Leave, Metal. This won't end well." Andy warned as the huge, bulky figure strolled over to them, sporting two black eyes and a hefty bandage over his nose.

"So I thought you and me should finish our little chat from yesterday, Austin."

"Lucky me." Andy felt sick with fear as he scanned the yard and Lionel, and the other guards weren't looking their way. If Andy shouted for help - he'd be branded the prison snitch. That was never a good thing.

"Seems I touched a nerve, talkin' about your baby sister. I mean, look at my face." Austin glared at Metal but didn't tense up or move an inch.

"I hope he told you what he did to that guy?" Andy nodded curtly.

"He did."

"Oh really? So you know that he carved shit into the guys skin? He chopped off his dick and balls, water boarded him, did all kinds of shit." Andy swallowed back bile and simply nodded again.

"I know everything, shut up, Metal."

"So you know that he kept that bastard alive for over a day? While he was killing him?"

"Yep."

"You know....you must be a really great bitch. I mean if you know about that and still let this freak fuck you....then again, I guess after all his crazy shit - you're probably afraid of him. They tell me you almost pissed your panties when you got hauled in-"

"Shut the fuck up." Andy swallowed as Austin interrupted him harshly.

"Relax, relax, I'm complimenting Andy on his skill set - the only reason you're probably still alive is cause you give great head. Feel free to visit me any time, baby-" Andy grabbed Austin's wrist and stopped him from going for the jugular.

"Relax! I'm serious, look, I mean, with this whack job....the only reason you're still alive is because you're good in bed. His last cell mate really....really wasn't."

"Oh? He didn't tell you about Chris? Austin- you remember Chris, right?"

"I said shut the fuck up, you sick son of a bitch." Austin's knuckles looked ready to burst through his skin.

"I mean....to be honest, between you and me, Andy....Chris was a cool guy, but whatever he did...it really pushed young Austin here over the edge.."

"I don't care what happened with that guy - leave us alone!!" Andy was panicking, and thankfully he noticed guards striding towards them to break up the inevitable fight.

"Look, Andy! Someone's gotta warn you! Him and that Lionel..they're just saving his ass. They're lying to you. You're not safe with this bastard...in fact.....I think his sister was smart to kick it when she did-" Metal flinched when Austin lurched forwards, Andy grabbed his arm again, and Austin panted heavily in Sean Moore's face for several seconds before the guards arrived.

"Don't start anything else, you two." Austin stared at the bully's face for several seconds before Andy saw his shoulders lose their tense line. He suddenly turned to Andy, and pulled him close. He kissed Andy, he claimed his lips passionately and gently in front of the entire crowd of people who had gathered to witness the fight. There were many derogatory comments, encouraging comments, whistles and groans in equal measure. Andy searched his eyes for emotion and was frightened to see none. Austin sighed deeply as he rested his forehead against Andy's, still cupping his head. Austin breathed in his smell, and then - terrifyingly calmly - turned and walked away. He was so calm, that the guards let him return by himself to the cell.

Andy felt sick with fear, but wasn't yet allowed back inside. He remained on edge for the rest of the hour they had outside. Something wasn't right.

When they were forced to return to the cells, Andy shoved past the other inmates and his blood froze when he saw Austin hanging off the top bunk.
"HELP ME!!!! HELP!!" Andy struggled to lift Ausin's body, which was dead weight, alongside undoing the multiple, tight knots with shaking fingers. Guards came running in and called the medics. They helped Andy hold Austin's body and another two sliced through the sheet Austin had used for a noose. The medics arrived and Andy was shoved to the side as they gave him CPR.

Austin was taken away in an ambulance.

Andy was left not even knowing if he was going to die.

He couldn't die.

Not now.