Status: Completed

As Planned

Maybe

After the races on Friday night my weekend was relatively calm and quite. I spent most of my time with aunt Sarah since she`s going back to America in a few days. It`ll be hard to see her go knowing I probably won`t see her again. Well, unless there`s somehow a chance this new treatment will work but I doubt it. It never works long enough. Not even what I`m on now worked long enough. All it does is keep me stable enough to keep going without passing out or coughing up blood. Though I think that`s what I dread the most about coming off this treatment. Coughing up blood isn`t exactly as fun as it sounds.

By Monday my calm and quite went away the second I walked into the school building. As everyone scrambled to pull on slippers and make it to class on time it was all but chaos. Slightly organized chaos, but chaos none the less. I didn`t exactly mind it though. With everyone scrambling around no one had time to stare or snicker at the new girl. It was a nice change compared to Friday.

Class seemed to fly by fairly quickly despite my trying to keep everything straight and learn things half the class knew already. And the few looks I received from students who had yet to find something else new and shiny to oogle at. But other than that I was surprised how fast lunch came. What didn`t surprise me however was where I sat during lunch. The second Twinkie saw me enter the cafeteria I was carter off to a table at the back where Neela sat, quickly followed by Morimoto. I have a feeling this is going to be a normal thing. And you know what? I`m not complaining.

"I never got to ask, how`d you like the races on Friday?" Twinkie asked after we all got our food and sat down.

"It wasn`t bad. A lot to take in though," I answered with a chuckle. It was true though. It had been a lot to take in but in the end I surprisingly enjoyed it.

"Is that why we didn`t see you at the party?" Morimoto asked in Japanese.

"Party?" I echoed, not bothering to switch from English.

"Han`s party. They happen ever Friday night after the races," He replied with a raised eyebrow, not switching either.

"I didn`t know he had parties," I mumbled with a frown.

"I didn`t want to overwhelm you more than you already were," Neela admitted with a sheepish smile. "We were both tired anyway."

I nodded slowly at her answer and began eating as a way to drop the conversation. I`ll admit, it didn`t sit right with me that I was excluded from this party. I`m not saying I would of wanted to go as I`m not big on parties but it would of been nice to know about it. Perhaps I`m not good enough for Han`s parties. Okay, so that`s a bitter thought.

"You can go next time," Twinkie assured with a grin. "And you can go with me."

"Thanks Twink," I whispered, not bothering to look up from my food.

"Have I shown you my ride yet?" He quickly asked.

Now that caught my attention. "You have a car?" I didn`t realize he was old enough to drive. Let alone tall enough to reach a steering wheel. Okay, maybe he`s not that short. But he`s short.

"Oh yeah," He said with a grin. "I ride in style."

Neela and Morimoto both let out groans and shook their heads. Prompting me to ask, "You don`t like his car?"

"Hell no. It`s a-" Morimoto`s words were cut off from Neela slapping her hand over his mouth. He sent her a glare and she slowly removed her hand.

"What he means to say," Neela paused to purse her lips and tilt her head a little before continuing, "is it`s unique. Something that can fit only Twinkie."

"Exactly!" Twinkie exclaimed, earning a few glances from students around us.

"You`ll have to drive me home then," I murmured, causing Morimoto to shoot me a rather unpleased look. I wonder what that`s about.

"I`ll be glad to," Twinkie said with a nod.

You know, I kind of thought Neela and Morimoto were just over reacting or giving Twinkie a hard time about his car. That is, until after school when I actually saw his car. It was a green Volkswagen Touran, probably 2004 or 2005, with a shaggy purple interior. It was styled after The Hulk. That`s right, I`m talking about the comic book character. Neela was right. This car could only fit Twinkie. Hell, he`s probably the only one brave enough to drive it.

"This is really your car?" I asked as I looked at the Volkswagen while trying to hold in my giggles.

"Of course, baby. This is my ride!" Twinkie exclaimed with nothing but pure pride.

I snickered and shook my head, "Are you taking me home or not?"

"Yeah, yeah. Let`s go," He mumbled while going over to the drivers side.

After he got in it dawned on me just what I was about to do. I guess my curiosity momentarily won over my fear. After staring at the passenger side door for longer than necessary I finally opened the door. I took a deep breath and put my bag on the floor board and once again found myself staring, only this time at the shaggy purple seat. I admit, it actually looked comfortable.

"Are you sure you wanna take the car?" Twinkie asked. "I honestly don`t mind walking you."

I shook my head and took a deep breath as I replied, "I can do this. Just give me a minute."

"Alright," He murmured with a shrug. "Take your time."

I nodded and took another deep breath and inched pasted the door. It took me far longer than I care to admit to finally get into the car and sit down. After yet another deep breath I pulled the door shut and closed my eyes as soon as I heard the soft slam. And then Twinkie did something that surprised me: he buckled me in.

"I thought it might be easier on you if I did it," He murmured when I opened my eyes. "Now I`m gonna start the car, alright?" When I nodded he smiled a little and started the car and I had to resist the urge to shut my eyes again when I heard the roar of the engine. "You`re doing just fine. Now, can you do something for me? Take this," he paused to hand me a GPS, "and program in your address."

I nodded at his words and quickly put in my address. By the time I was done I realized why he had me put in my address instead of just doing it himself. He was distracting me. And for that I was thankfull. It wasn`t a long distraction but it was distraction enough. "Thank you."

"Any time," Twinkie murmured. "So, You ever gonna talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" I asked.

"Why you hate being in cars."

I frowned at his words and found myself shrugging. "I...maybe."

"After we get to know each other better?" He suggested.

"Yeah," I agreed. "Just give me a little time."

"Well I`m an army brat," He said with a shrug, changing the subject.

"My mom paints," I murmured. "Aunt Lauren owns a computer company and aunt Sarah is a lawyer."

"You got a lot of aunts," Twinkie chuckled.

"Just the two," I said with a slight grin. "No uncles though."

After that the conversation turned funny and thankfully with no awkward turns. The whole ride home Twinkie was making me laugh and constantly cracking jokes. I suspect he was trying to distract me again and once again I was grateful. It`s nice to have people around you that understand or know when to drop a subject when they know it upsets you. It can be hard to find good people in this world. And when you do, make sure you hold onto them. That`s something I learned a long time ago.