‹ Prequel: At Last
Sequel: Chandlier

How I Feel

Breeze Driftin' On By, You Know How I Feel

Jordie leaned in the door frame of Jamie's house, watching as he crammed a few last things into a suitcase.

"Why are you going back early? We always train together in the summer."

Jamie shrugged. "You've got Stella and Alex now."

"I still have to train. Stels knows that."

"It's three weeks early. It's not like I didn't come home at all."

"Is it that girl you were seeing, the one that blew Seggy? Oh god," he groaned. "She's not knocked up, is she?"

"No! I'm not a fucking moron."

"Then why the rush?"

"I just want to get a head start on the year, that's it. I'm not even planning to see Jenna. I haven't talked to her since before your wedding."

"Since you're heading back, can you make sure Avery is doing good? Show her around or something? Linda told Stella she doesn't get out much. She's pretty focused on her job."

"What? I'm a babysitter now?"

"Don't be an ass, Chubbs. She's basically your sister in law; since she's moved to Dallas you're gonna see her when we get together. And she works for the Stars; might as well be friends with her."

"Don't call me Chubbs," he bit back.

Jordie laughed. "Just stop by the offices and invite her out to lunch or something. Stella will love you forever if you do."

~*~*~


Jamie got into Dallas at two the next afternoon. After dropping his things at home, he drove straight to the Stars offices. He stopped in and greeted the team's GM and president before continuing on his way. He smiled and greeted various staffers as he went until he found himself outside of Avery's office.

Her door was closed so he knocked and when she called out to come in, he stuck his head in the door. "Hey, I just got back in town; I thought we could get lunch...oh, am I interrupting?" He asked, looking over the two men sitting in front of her.

"We were just finishing. But you realize it's two in the afternoon, right?"

"I'm on Canada time; it's noon there." She shook her head and rolled her eyes at him. "Come on, Avery. On account of us being almost related and all."

Avery stood. "If you guys will excuse me, apparently I'm taking the captain to lunch." The two men stood and Avery shook their hands as Jamie opened the door wider. He smiled politely as they passed.

"I could've come back," Jamie said.

"No, you actually saved me to be honest. I wanted that meeting to be over twenty minutes ago. But you're buying."

He chuckled. "I was kind of planning on it."

She grabbed her purse and phone and walked past him into the hall. "Do you wanna go someplace nearby? We can walk," she suggested.

Jamie nodded. He was enjoying the fit of her pencil skirt and was pretty sure if he attempted to talk he'd make unintelligible drooling noises. "You have a pencil in your hair," he finally said.

"Oh," she said, grabbing for it. It was the worst thing to happen to Jamie yet as her hair tumbled down and she gave it a quick shake.

Jamie took a step towards her and placed a hand at the small of her back. "Do you even know how fucking sexy that just was?" He said lowly as they walked towards the elevator.

"Didn't you just say we were family? Would you say that to your actual sister?"

"Almost related. Big difference. Huge."

"I don't think so but keep telling yourself that."

"What? We're not family."

"My sister married your brother. That's pretty much what it means, Jamie." The elevator doors opened and they stepped on. Their conversation fell silent with the others around them and it wasn't until they had reached the sidewalk that he spoke again.

"Just because our siblings got married doesn't mean we can't have our own fun," Jamie said as they started down the sidewalk.

"We," Avery stressed, "are not having that kind of fun. Not now, not ever. So if lunch is an attempt to get in my pants, I'm turning around and going back to my office right now."

"Jordie said you haven't gone out since you got here and I'm supposed to make sure you get out."

"Really? Stella enlisted Jordie to make you take me out?"

"I'm pretty sure Jordie put himself up to this; I'm not sure Stella even knows. And since I'd like to get to know you, and spend some time with you, I was happy to go along with it."

"I'm sorry but it sounded like you just said you want to get to know me."

"You know, I'm not a total dick, Avery. I'm a nice guy. Maybe if you got to know me..."

"What? I should let you take me out?"

"Yes."

"On a date?"

"Yes."

"With you?"

"Yes."

"No."

"No?! Why not?"

"Because you are my sisters husbands little brother."

"I'm not little," he replied cockily, drawing himself to his full height.

Avery looked him up and down. "I'm sure you're not," she smirked. "I'm sure you're very impressive."

"I can show you all sorts of impressive Miss Croft."

"Mmm, sounds delightful Mr. Benn....but it's not happening."

Jamie stopped and Avery continued a moment before turning back to him. "What?"

"Why are you so against this? Why can't you give me a chance? Jesus, Avery! I like you."

"You don't know me."

"Then let me get to know you. Because what I do know about you is intriguing. You're beautiful, smart, witty, obviously talented in what you do, and you love your family." He took the few steps that separated them and stood in front of her. "I'm asking you to give me a chance, in spite of my being a jock. Get to know me, Avery, and quit assuming you already know who I am."

He reached out and encircled her waist with his arm, drawing her body to his. Before she could stop him, his mouth was on hers and her fingers were in his hair as she melted into his kiss.

Her lips parted and the kiss deepened. Jamie was half hard at the way her fingers lightly trailed over his scalp and neck, and the way her body rubbed his. He was positive if he got a hand in her panties he'd find her wet and wanting, especially when a low moan escaped her.

He broke the kiss and she grabbed him, pulling him back to her. "How close is your place?" She whispered against his lips.

"Ten minutes if I get a cab."

"Get a cab."

"Avery..."

"Get a cab, Jamie. Or we can go back to our cars. I'd rather sit in the back of a cab and kiss you though."

A hundred thoughts flew through his head, number one of which was that Stella would kill him if he hurt her sister. And Jordie would kill him for upsetting Stella. "I shouldn't have kissed you," he finally said.

Avery stepped back from him. "Excuse me? You shouldn't have kissed me? You know what? Fuck you." She spun on her heel and started back for her office.

"Avery! Wait!" He called out after her. He jogged to catch her, impressed with the speed her heels carried her. He fell into step with her, grabbing her hand to slow her. "I meant I shouldn't have kissed you yet. I'm not the type of guy you think I am and I want to prove it. Kissing you in the middle of a sidewalk isn't the way to do that and taking you back to my place, which by the way I really want to do right now, isn't either. Can I please take you out, on a date?"

"I'm offering myself to you, right now, no questions, no strings, and you're turning me down?"

"Yeah, I guess I am."

"Are you serious right now?"

"Yes, I'm serious. Let's go to dinner tonight. I'll pick you up. How does seven sound?"

"So you'll fuck a girl who blew your best friend in a bathroom because it's easy, no commitment, but not me?"

"You don't want easy, no commitment sex."

"No I don't," she agreed.

"And you don't want to be a notch in anyone's belt."

"Also true."

"That's not what I want anymore either. I'm sick of no commitments. I've been watching Jordie and Stella together for almost a year, and the last several weeks since their wedding made it clear. I want what Jordie and Stella have. I want to find a girl to share my crazy, hectic, completely insane life with. And I'm still intrigued by you. I haven't stopped thinking about you ever since I got the email welcoming you to the organization. I came back with the intention of getting you to give me a chance. Just one. That's all I'm asking for, Avery."

"Give me your phone," she said after a moment's pause. He took the phone from his pocket and slid it unlocked before handing it over. She tapped away furiously for a minute before handing it back as her own phone chimed.

"I saved my number and I'm texting you Linda's address."

"I know where she lives; I've been over before for dinner."

"Oh."

"She likes me."

"Cocky."

"Yep."

She rolled her eyes. "You can pick me up at six thirty."

"Can we still get lunch? I'm starving."

"You can do whatever you want. I'm going back to the office to finish working."

"But I'm starving," he whined.

"You're a grown man. Feed yourself."

"But I'll be by myself. No one wants to eat alone."

"Lots of people eat alone. Besides, Tyler is in town. Why don't you have him meet you?"

"He is? How do you know that?"

"How do you not? Aren't you joined at the hip or something? Isn't yours the greatest bromance of all?"

Jamie scowled in reply and Avery laughed. "He got back a couple weeks ago and has either taken me to lunch or brought me lunch every day he's been back."

"And you let him?"

"Tyler is very sweet but not my type."

"Because he plays hockey."

"No. Well, at first yes, but it's really just him. He's so larger than life, you know? That's not me. But he came by to say hi and insisted we get lunch. He knows what he's doing when he uses that smile; you can't resist his boyish charms."

"Because he is a boy. He's like three years younger than you."

"And you're a man because you're older than him?"

"I'm a man in every way you can imagine and then some and I'll be happy to show you every way in which I can be a man."

"Sounds tempting."

"We could start this date early, with lunch."

"Nope. I'll see you tonight, Jamie." She thought about kissing his cheek but felt certain she wouldn't be able to stop herself there so she settled on a cheeky smile as she pivoted to continue the walk back to her office.

"I'll walk with you," Jamie offered quickly, catching up with her. "Might as well get my car and go see Seggy."

"Of course," Avery smirked.

"Shut up," he smiled.