‹ Prequel: At Last
Sequel: Chandlier

How I Feel

River Runnin' Free, You Know How I Feel

After getting home from work, Avery sat down in the kitchen to chat with her aunt Linda before grabbing a shower. She stood in front of the guest room closet debating what to wear. She finally settled on a pair of coral colored shorts and a gauzy white button down shirt, sleeves rolled back to her elbow. A gold cuff on her wrist and white and gold wedge sandals finished the look.

She heard the doorbell ring as she finished putting a little mascara on. She grabbed a tube of lip gloss and swiped some on. Grabbing her phone, she headed downstairs. Following their voices, Avery found Linda, Bill, and Jamie in the living room.

Jamie heard Avery approaching and looked up, standing as she paused in the entryway. "Wow, Avery. You look amazing."

She blushed, tearing her eyes from him. He was wearing khakis and a simple black polo yet he liked like sin and increased her heart rate. She turned to Linda. "I won't be back too late."

Linda smiled knowingly. "Stay out as long as you like honey; you won't wake us."

"I have to work in the morning," she said to Jamie.

"I'll have you in bed before you turn into a pumpkin, Cinderella," he smirked. "Bill, Linda, it's been a pleasure as always. I'll get you some tickets for home opener with Stella and Alex."

"Such a sweetheart," Linda smiled, hugging him. He shook hands with Bill and then walked towards Avery.

"Ready?" She nodded in reply and Jamie slid a hand to the small of her back, guiding her to the front door and out to his car. He held her door, waiting until she was buckled to close it.

He hurried around the car and slipped into the drivers seat. "I mean it, Avery," he said as he started the car. "You look amazing."

"Thank you. I suppose you don't look half bad either."

"You only suppose?" He teased as he backed out of the driveway.

"You know you're hot, Jamie."

"Still nice to hear from an incredibly good looking woman."

"Now I've upgraded to incredibly good looking?"

He inclined his face in her direction and gave her the once over. "I would also say smoking hot," he winked.

"Drive the car," she smiled.

They reached the restaurant Jamie had picked a short time later. He pulled up to the valet and Avery looked over at him. "Are you serious right now?"

"What?"

"Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck. That's where you're taking me? How did you even get reservations?" She asked as they got out of the car.

He came around and slid her arm through his as they made their way inside. "At Tyler's suggestion, I might have name dropped myself when I called," he admitted. "And I'm trying to impress you so yeah, I picked one of the fancier places in town."

They stepped into the otherwise empty elevator and headed up fifty stories. When the doors opened, Avery gasped and leaned into Jamie.

"Color me impressed, Benn," she said softly. Jamie grinned to himself as they approached a maƮtre d. He gave his name and they were whisked into a private dining room and seated at the table for two.

When they were alone, Jamie looked across at Avery with a sheepish smile. "They didn't have any reservations open except for the private dining room so I took it."

"Jamie, you did not have to do that. We could have gone anywhere."

"I just wanted to make sure you'd agree to a second date."

"By being ridiculously extravagant?"

"I can't win with you, can I?"

She laughed. "Probably not. Stella is the easy going one. I'm the hard ass."

"I get you all to myself this way though. It never fails that wherever I go, I'm always interrupted at least once by a fan. Which is great, except when I'm in the bathroom or trying really hard to impress a girl. And I'm trying really hard here."

"It's appreciated," she replied, reaching across the table to squeeze his hand. A short time later, a waiter came in and took their orders. They fell into easy conversation, about growing up, and what led them each to that moment in Dallas.

Jamie had never found it easier to talk to a woman. Avery was no nonsense and she didn't hold back, giving as good as she took his ribbing. He liked that she was completely unperturbed by what he did and his status in the city. To her he was just a regular, normal guy.

Avery meanwhile was surprised by how down to earth Jamie was. Sure, it was a bit showy of him to take her to one of the finer restaurants in town and rent the private dining room for their date but somehow she found in endearing of him, that he wanted to impress her and prove her preconceived notions of jocks wrong.

And prove them wrong he was.

He was humble, and didn't take any of his accomplishments for granted. Captain. Gold medalist. Art Ross trophy winner. He was quick to point out the teammates he had, how they all contributed in their own ways. He wouldn't take credit for anything without giving it to all involved. Avery liked that.

As they finished dinner and sipped wine looking out at the city below them, Avery stood and moved to sit beside Jamie. She lifted his arm and filled the space at his side, setting his arm around her shoulders as they continued to look out the floor to ceiling windows in silence.

"Thank you for one of the best meals I've ever had in my life, Jamie."

He chuckled. "All I'm doing is paying for it. You should thank the chef for the hard work."

"I would but he's not here and you are." She leaned in to kiss his cheek. "So what's next hockey stud?"

"Have you been to Stella's museum yet?"

"The contemporary art museum? No. Why?"

"That's where we're going. There's a new installation opening and I got us on the guest list, with a little help of course."

Avery sat up. "Stella knows I'm out with you?"

"No; she knows I had a date but not with who."

"Good."

"Good? Why good? Would it be the worst thing in the world if Stella knew you were on a date with me?"

"It's not a discussion I'm ready to have with her yet."

"When will it be?"

She stood and moved to stand in front of one of the windows. "Why are we even having this discussion? It's one date. That's it."

"That's not it," Jamie said as he pushed back from table. He came up behind her and turned her around, one hand behind her head as he guided her mouth to his. "This is it," he said, his voice husky as he pressed his lips to hers.

Avery saw fireworks. She didn't care how cliche it sounded but electricity shot through her when Jamie touched her, a flame ignited when he kissed her, and she gave in easily to him. Deny it all she wanted, but she wanted him.

A clearing throat broke them apart and their waiter took several steps forward, handing Jamie his credit card. "Have a good evening," he smiled before retreating hastily.

"That poor kid probably thinks you were about to make it with me against the window and is trying to figure out the best way to get ass imprints off the glass," Avery said.

Jamie laughed. "What?"

"That was kind of intense."

"You're kind of intense."

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

"Are you ready to go?"

"Sure," Avery nodded. She grabbed her purse and moved around Jamie. He watched her go, enjoying the sway of her hips, her tanned legs seemingly going on for days in the sandals she wore, her toe nails painted a bright pink.

He hurried forward to catch up with her, taking her hand as they made their way to the elevators. "Your toes are pink," he said when the doors closed.

She looked down and then back up at his face. "I like color on my toes. They were lavender last week."

"I like it."

"Do you have a foot fetish I should know about?"

"No! I just think it's cute, and better than those boring clear and white tips everyone does."

"I think you might have a foot fetish."

He scowled. "You're impossible."

"I know," she smirked. "It's how I'll know if you're worth it or not though."

"I'm worth it."

"We shall see.... We shall see."

~*~*~


Avery giggled as Jamie leaned across the center console and kissed his way up her neck to her ear. If she could, she'd crawl over it and into his lap but doing that in her aunt's driveway did not seem appropriate.

"What time do you get off work tomorrow?" Jamie asked.

"Five."

"I'll pick you up."

"Pick me up?"

"Yeah, from work. Bring clothes for the weekend and a toothbrush; you're staying at my place."

"I am?"

"You are. And we might not leave."

His words caused her to shiver in anticipation and he smirked. "You like that idea."

"Maybe," she admitted quietly as she leaned her head back.

"You like me."

"Maybe."

"Did I impress you enough tonight?"

"Definitely," she smiled.

"So I earned a second date?"

"Yes."

"Then picking you up tomorrow is what I'm doing. We can make dinner at my place and I'll even let you pick what movie we watch."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Jamie," she laughed as she reached for the door handle.

"Hey," he said reaching for her hand. "If you don't want to it's okay to tell me that. I won't push."

She leaned back in across to him and kissed him. "I want to."

He grinned. "Yeah?"

"Yeah."