‹ Prequel: Hope to Burn.

Lost Haven.

Prologue.

John's P.O.V.
You'd think after spending so much time fighting for each other, that we'd earn our happy ending.
You'd think wrong.
There couldn't be a happy ending for someone whose end didn't exist. I should have known that we'd always have something to try to come between us. There would always be something. And now, the rift had happened, and I've never felt more distant from her.
It pained me to have to watch over her, rather than be right there beside her. Lex had no idea I was even near, not that she would want to know about the likes of me. She was all alone, aside from Riley that had promised to stay behind. It felt like I was breaking the biggest promise of all, that I'd always be right there to protect her. But I was doing this to protect her. To protect the both of them. But I'd been the one to hurt Lexi in the first place. She surely hated me, and she had every reason to. That wouldn't stop me from trying to catch one last glimpse of the home I left behind, of the love that I abandoned.
However, I knew I could only afford it a little longer. It was too dangerous. I shouldn't even be here.
Soon, I'd have to leave. I had to move far enough away to assure her safety so that she would never have to have something going after her.
I had to stay away.
I couldn't be around them anymore. As much as it hurt, I knew my decision was the only way out of this. Lexi was strong enough to handle it on her own; with Riley's help, my betrayal wouldn't even affect her anymore. She would survive this, and I would make sure of it. She'd be there to nurture and care for and protect our daughter, our beautiful daughter, in all the ways that I couldn't and make up for my absence.
Our daughter. The word made my heart - what was left of it, anyway- shatter to pieces. It felt like I'd hardly gotten to witness the first moments of her life before I bolted. It felt like just yesterday that she was born. It felt like I'd gotten any time with her at all.
And here I was, standing at the top of the hill of the slope that led downwards toward the cabin, peaking in through the window of the guest room that had always been ours, my chest aching as I watch her hold onto our baby's tiny wrist. I should be the one holding onto the other. They were my safe haven, and everything I ever needed, but I didn't have that privilege anymore.
It was the last thing I would see, so I burn the sight into my memory, my hands clenched into fists at all the mistakes that I've made to get me here, at the sudden pain on her face. Her tears stained her cheeks and she tried so hard to not look as weak as she felt. That was my Lexi; she'd never admit it, but I was the reason her life had become a living hell.
My insides wrench, longing to wipe the water from her eyes and run my thumb over her trembling lip. I didn't even get to say goodbye. I wish I could promise her that everything would be okay, but the truth was, I wasn't sure it would.
I was doing the right thing. Wasn't I?
One day they'd understand.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sure some of you are just itching to find out what's going to happen in the sequel. Well, here's a teaser. Juuuust for you ;P