‹ Prequel: Hope to Burn.

Lost Haven.

Broken

John wouldn't leave my side the rest of the night. I was waiting to go home, and when I even suggested it, he brushed it off saying we could stay with Evangeline so Angela could 'grow familiar with the place.' If it weren't for the baby, Ev wouldn't be too thrilled. But she happily welcomed the idea. She even pulled out a ball of yarn and vigorously began to knit something for the 'blessed child.'
I, on the other hand, was none too pleased.
"John, all of her things are back home," I complain. Had I even brought enough to stay the night? The bag I'd packed had limited diapers, and only a single onesie and pair of socks.
"We'll be fine," he mutters. "I can go pick up and bring back whatever you need."
"Whatever she needs you can find here," Ev humphs. "This house is perfectly fit for a child."
John ignores her, his eyes steadily on me. "D'you want me to bring a change of clothes for you?"
I pout, wishing he'd quit being so insistent. Don't get me wrong, I was fond of this place; it held a special place in my heart, but our mattress was slightly more comfortable.
"Angela needs somewhere to sleep," I realize.
"She can stay with us," he replies quickly. "The bed's big enough."
I sigh. I could understand his clinginess. She was our newborn, after all. But I was trying to be responsible and take precautions.
I press my lips to his before pulling away, sensing his hesitance to break the kiss. "Promise not to squish her?" I tease.
His hands go to my hips and he brings me back to him. His eyes were stone like and I didn't understand why.
"Wouldn't dream of it," he answers finally.
"Good," I chuckle, moving away to get Angela, who was secure in Riley's lap as he propped her up on his legs.
I nuzzle my face into hers, cooing and heading towards the room. "Let's get you fed and burped and into bed, huh?"
After a few minutes of John and Riley talking in hushed voices outside, Angela falls asleep and I walk around with her on my shoulder. She was so beautiful; I was almost positive she had to be an angel, despite her human body. Maybe she would grow up to be a purity.
The doorknob turns slightly, and John steps inside, shooting me a tired smile. "She sleeping?"
I nod, welcoming his arms around me as he looks down at the both of us. "You two are my world, you know that?" he whispers.
My heart melts and I lean into him, my own head on his shoulder. "A day into fatherhood and you've already turned into a big sap," I chuckle, knowing that'd peeve him.
"Oh darlin, I'll always be the big bad demon you met," he smirks. "I'm just...smoother around the edges now."
"Uhuh," I tease, meeting his sea of deep green eyes and letting our lips meet, melding together effortlessly. He presses his firmer to mine as he grips my back, his fingers splaying out on my shirt with only a thin layer separating our skin. I shiver, feeling the same spark that had always existed around him. It was the same one that ignited the flame, the same one that's always kept us going strong.
"I love you," he moans, lingering at my mouth. "I don't ever want to love anything ever again. Not after you two."
"Shut up," I breathe. He really needed to stop talking. I was still holding the baby and I wanted to rip his clothes off.
He catches onto this and chuckles, pulling away with a final kiss. "You're all there is for me," he mutters. "That's all."
We climb into bed, placing Angela between us propped up on the pillows. "Weren't you supposed to go get things?" I ask with a smirk. He forgot about things so quickly.
He bites his lip. "I'll get them tomorrow. Right now, I just wanna spend time with you."
"Okay," I whisper, feeling his hand lace with mine. We look at each other for a long time, never breaking eye contact or turning away. I bring his hand up to my lips and he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear with his other hand. Eventually, out gaze drifts to the stretching baby, watching her lips pucker. I smile, feeling my heart fill with a feeling I couldn't quite contain. I could feel it pouring out of me through every poor and making my eyes water.
"Darlin', don't cry," John murmurs.
I sniff and wipe my eyes. "I'm just happy."
He stares at me intently, stroking my cheek. "Good."
My eyes grow heavy soon, and I press my lips to Angela's cheek before sighing. "Goodnight, my little angel."
I lean over, kissing John's chin and giggling. "And goodnight, my big bad demon. See you tomorrow."
"Goodnight, beautiful. Tomorrow," he breathes. As I drift off to sleep, I start to hear things, and I wasn't sure if the soft whimpering was real or in my head.
~
I helped Evangeline make breakfast (after feeding Angela of course), while John burped and changed her in the room. She was a bit fussy this morning, but I just assume she got that from her father. He wasn't an early riser either.
They were now laid out on the floor on a blanket, Angela laying on a pillow as she chews on her ring.
"I wonder if she'll be a biter," Riley muses.
"You know what they say," John mutters. With a light smirk, he looks up at me. "Like father, like daughter."
Ri scoffs and I laugh. "I don't think that's what he meant. And all babies are biters. When they start teething anyway."
"Well she's got a long way for that still," Ri comments and John is silent, holding her hand. I turn, jumping as Evangeline picks up the large pot of chicken soup. "Don't just stand there!"
"Food's ready," I announce with a chuckle, moving around the table to scoop the baby into my arms. As I pick her up, I gasp. I touch her warm skin, bringing her up to my cheek, then feeling her forehead. She was calm, but I could see her discomfort in her furrowed eyebrows. Her temperature had gone up again.
"She's got a fever, I think," I mutter, holding her to my chest.
John walks over, his eyes wide. "What? That's not possible is it?" He brushes her cheek with the back of his hand before stroking her head with his thumb.
"She is still human," Riley interjects. "Things like sickness could affect her."
I hear her sniffle, the beginning of a strained cry leaving her throat and bite my lip. I wasn't prepared for sickness so soon. We didn't even have a thermometer back at the apartment. "Can you watch her then for a bit? I need to go buy some baby essentials."
John's head shoots up. "What?"
"I need to go into town."
"I'll go with you."
I laugh lightly. "John, I think I can handle going to the store by myself. You need to watch the baby." I face Riley, who looks a bit worried. Did the idea of being alone with her scare him? "See?" I gesture to John. "He can't do it alone. Stay here, I'll be back soon."
"W-Wait," he stammers as I begin to walk away. He must have handed the whimpering child to Ri because he isn't carrying her when he finally reaches me a few feet from the cabin.
"Lexi, wait."
I raise an eyebrow. "What is it?"
He frowns. "You just got out of the hospital yesterday."
"And I feel perfectly fine," I argue. He knew how easy it was for demons to heal.
"Can I at least drive you there?"
I cross my arms, smirking. "You can go pick up Angela's things like you promised. Or I can just stop by myself-"
"No," he mutters. "I've got it."
I smile in victory, pressing a kiss to his lips. "Then I'm going to the store while you do that."
John grabs my hand before I could turn. "Wait."
I groan, tugging on his hand. "Babe."
He shoots me a pleading look. "Just another minute. Please."
Guiltily, I stay rooted in my spot. I'm confused as to why he's being so cryptic and...like he'd miss me.
"Is everything okay?" I ask, concerned.
He shakes his head. "Yeah," he breathes. "Yeah, it's just...I keep having these dreams. I'll be fine. It's nothing."
I bite my lip, smoothing down his hair. "You sure?" I mumble.
"I love you, Lexi," he croaks. My eyes soften and I give him a soft peck. "I love you, too. But I've got to go before Angela's fever gets worse. I won't be long," I whisper and he nods, resigned, pulling me into his chest before dipping down to crash his mouth onto mine. The breath gets knocked out of me from the amount of fervor and passion. I could feel him pour love into the kiss, and I hungrily return it. He kisses me over and over, holding me tightly as I take his face in my hands. He rests his fingers over my knuckles, caressing them softly before moving down my arms and up my shoulders, then back down my sides. I shiver at the feel of his hands taking in every part of me, as if like a memory he was committing to heart. Moments like these made me wonder what my life would be without him. I needed him as much as I needed air.
My breathing slows and I brush my nose against his. "I have to go, John."
"You dont."
I lean away, but he keeps a hold of my hand. A smile grows on my lips. "You're ridiculous."
I walk slowly back, our arms between us until my fingers slip from his and lets them fall to his side. I couldn't decipher what that look was but I blow him a kiss, watching him force the small smile onto his face.
~
I came back with bagfuls of baby things. Ev took one look at me and shook her head. I couldn't hear anything, so my eyebrows furrow. "Where is everyone?"
"Riley's in the backyard trying to soothe the child," she sighs. "Thought some air would help. She hasn't stopped crying since you left."
I nod and make my way outside and around the house, ignoring the light rain that had begun on my drive back. I'm surprised John let me take his truck; he's usually adamant about it. Whatever was with him, it seemed to be working in my favor.
I hear the wails as I approach, Ri looking restless beneath the porch as he attempts to calm Angela wriggling in his arms. He spots me, looking relieved. "I'm sorry, Lexi. I've tried everything. I think she's hungry."
"It's okay," I assure him, taking her off his hands. She was resisting and her body felt even more hot then before. Poor thing. I should give her some medicine-
Just then, she gasps and jerks, letting out a sneeze. Fire spurts from her fingers, spewing out onto the ground. It sizzles and I look down at her at surprise, her crying having reduced to a tired whimpering and her temperature much cooler. I laugh, as does Riley, astounded that that's what it had been. Who knew it was such an easy fix? If only her father could have seen it.
"Hey, where's John?" I ask, realizing the time. "I was gone for at least an hour. He should have been back by now."
Riley scratches his head. "Uhh, I'm not sure. Maybe he's just bad at figuring out what to pack."
I chuckle, rocking the sniffling baby with a nod. "Alright well, this one needs to eat. Let me know when he's here."
"Yeah, Lexi," he mumbles. "Sure thing."
Making my way back inside, I coo at Angela, who seemed too exhausted to put effort into her crying. I don't blame her. It was just becoming night, the sun setting eerily behind the trees.
As I open the door up into the room, I freeze, something unsettling my stomach. At the far end of the room, away from the tiny window, was the white wooden crib set up with all of Angela's toys and pillows and packs of diapers inside. The canopy was draped over it, falling flatly and looking out of place. On the actual bed, was a large duffel, filled to the brim with whatever was inside, and a smaller bag beside it.
I place her down carefully for a moment to unzip the big bag. I recognize the pile of clothes neatly folded on the top and shuffle through it. Each article of clothing was mine. This was all of my clothes.
Confused, I open up the other duffel. The various onesies and pink outfits make my head spin. Why was he bringing all our stuff? Where were his?
Where was he?
My attention is brought back to my daughter kicking impatiently on the bed and I'm quick to feed her, letting my mind consider the possibilities. Was he working on gathering his things now? Was there a trip I didn't know about? Or was there another threat we had yet to run from?
Once Angela is at ease and has fallen asleep, I make room in her crib before setting her down. I shut the door softly behind me as I begin to look for Riley. There's still no sign of John.
"Ri," I call out, the sound ringing throughout the cabin. I go back outside and spot him in the yard, a cigarette hanging between his lips. It's the first time I've seen him smoking a soul.
"Riley."
He quickly puts it out, crushing it under his boot before turning to me. "What's up?"
"Where's John? When did he leave all those things in the room?"
"What things?" he asks with a raised brow.
I cross my arms. "Everything. All of our clothes, except his. We were only staying overnight, how much does he think we need to pack?"
"Lex, I don't know what you-"
I grab his arm and pull him through the house, opening the door to let him witness everything inside.
"Christ, John," he mutters under his breath.
"What's he up to?" I ask. "Are we moving in or something?"
His eyebrows furrow. "I don't know. I'll go look for him." He turns to leave when he stops. "Where'd Ev go?"
"Gathering buckets of water!" she yells as she reaches the doors, huffing as the metal clanks at her sides. "Where the hell is that no-help-good-for-nothing devil?"
"That's what we're trying to find out," I answer, digging out my phone. He better answer, or I was gonna kill him.
The line rings on the other end repeatedly, until it goes to voicemail. Yep, I'm going to kill him.
I storm back into the room, begrudgingly digging through the bags for any kind of clue. My phone was glued to my ear as I try to reach him. "Where are you," I mumble to myself, hanging up when I get voicemail again.
My fingers grab onto something other than clothes and I pull it out, confused by the random piece of paper. As I unfold it, I feel my hands begin to shake at the bold words in his handwriting.
I'm sorry.
I run out of the room, carrying the note, before clashing into Riley. He sees the horrified look and notices my heavy breathing so his eyes widen. "Lex? You okay?"
"W-What is this?" I hold up the note, my stomach twisting. "What the hell does he mean sorry?"
He takes one look at it and his lips part, not saying a word. "I...I don't know what to say."
"Where is he?!" I cry, banging on his chest. "Just stop and tell me where he is already!"
"Lexi," he croaks, grabbing a hold of my wrists. "You need to calm down. I don't know where he is-"
"You're lying! You're lying! Tell me!"
"What is going on?" Evangeline barks, tromping into the room with her cane.
"John is gone," Ri says, too even a voice for me to believe him. My blood was boiling, but I could feel the chill on my arms.
I shake my head as I snatch my hands out of his grip. "He's not gone! R-Ri, please, you can't do this to me, I need to know-"
"I don't know! Okay?!" His words send me jumping back against the kitchen table and I see his eyes glisten. "I don't know. I have no clue where he is, Lex."
I shake my head again. I couldn't believe that. I couldn't believe that John would just take off without reason. And without his family. He wouldn't abandon his family. "N-No," I whimper, feeling myself cracking. "No. You have to know."
He looks at me sorrily and I bury myself in his chest. "Why did he go away, Riley?" I ask, my voice tight.
"I...I don't know."
"No," I snap, breaking away. My tears were pathetically falling from my face. "Y-You have to know." My lip quivers, already knowing the answer. He didn't know.
And I didn't know anything anymore.