‹ Prequel: Run Away With My Heart

Hear Your Heart

09: I Only Wanted You

“He’s asleep” Iker commented as he moved back into the living room of Olivia’s small apartment. It had been a better day, Iker, Olivia and Thiago had spent the day with his teammates before they went to visit Pilar with Sergio, and Iker was pleased by just how calm it had been. There had been no fighting, no yelling, and for the first time since he had been introduced to Thiago, it felt as through Olivia actually wanted him around, something which came as a relief to Iker. He was sick of being made out to be the only bad guy in their situation. Olivia, who had been curled up on her couch with her laptop perched in her lap, looked up. “He is?” she posed “You only took him through ten minutes ago. He’s never gone to sleep that quickly before” she added.

Iker shrugged. “Perhaps he just loves me” he teased gently.

“Or perhaps we tuckered him out” Olivia returned, the slightest hint of a grin on her face.

Iker noticed her smile and returned it softly, noting just how pretty she still looked when she smiled.

“What are you smiling about?” Olivia spluttered as she flicked her eyes back towards her computer, trying to avoid his somewhat compelling stare.

“I was just noticing how beautiful you are when you smile” he noted gently.

Olivia swallowed and shook her head. “You must stop saying things like that” she murmured, trying to stifle the blush on her cheeks.

Iker shook his head. “Not in this lifetime, Oli” he replied, moving to perch on the arm of the couch at her side “Regardless of whether we are together or not, I want you to know that I still find you stunning” he added, quirking yet another soft smile that made Olivia’s stomach in knots.

“Why?” she posed gently.

Iker shrugged. “I just want you to know” he commented.

Olivia sighed gently and turned her stare down to her hands, Sergio’s words echoing in her mind. She knew that Sergio would always stick up for Iker, no matter what the keeper had done, he could always count on Sergio, but Olivia trusted his judgement. He had been right about her and Iker in the first instance and a part of her, regardless of how small, thought he could be right again. Chewing on the soft pink flesh on her lip, she moved to place her laptop down on the coffee table before she folded her legs beneath her, her blue eyes peeking up at Iker, who despite the silence that filled the air, still looked down at her. “C…Can I ask you something?” she stammered gently.

Iker nodded. “Of course, Oli” he noted kindly.

“I…uh…I was wondering when you last…you know” she spluttered, fiddling with her hands in her lap.

Iker sighed. “You spoke to Sergio” he murmured.

“He told me what I expected to hear, but he told me that I should ask you about the last time you had sex” she admitted gently.

Iker shifted in his seat before he sighed once more. “13 months ago” he muttered “With the wrong girl” he added, his stare fixed on his feet.

“13 months?” Olivia posed “You haven’t been with a girl in 13 months?” she repeated.

Iker shook his head. “No” he noted.

“Why?” Olivia squeaked.

“That isn’t obvious to you?” Iker retorted, flicking his eyes back towards her “Oli, I always thought that you were coming back, even if I was just trying to delude myself, and I didn’t want to make things worse by messing around further. I was sort of hoping that if I kept away from other women, it might make thigns better between you and me. It was stupid…”

“It was adorable” Olivia interjected.

Iker’s face slackened. “What?” he breathed. He was a little caught off guard, other than to answer question about Thiago, Olivia hardly spoke to him, and to hear her say something so positive was a surprise. It had only been a few days since the last fit she had thrown and last time she had yelled at him for what had happened. Olivia shrugged. “It…what you did…it was kind of sweet” she stammered.

Iker blinked. “You’re not going to tell me that it is futile? That I can wait all the time I want but it isn’t going to change things?” he posed, still in awe.

Olivia shook her head. “I’ve had enough of that” she whispered “Iker, I’m sorry” she added.

Iker blinked. “What has brought this on?” he murmured.

Olivia shrugged. “I don’t know” she murmured “But I do know that I am sick of fighting with you every 5 minutes. I can yell until I am blue in the face Iker, but the truth is, I only have one thing to ask” she noted.

“And what would that be?” Iker quipped, tilting his head so that their eyes met.

“Why” Olivia quipped “I just want to know why you did it. I don’t want to hear about what you thought me and Juan were doing, I don’t want to know that you regret it. Iker, I want to know what went through your head in that moment. Did you think about me? About the baby I was carrying? I just need to know why it happened” she whispered, chewing gently on her lip.

Iker sighed. “That’s really what it will take to stop you from yelling?” he posed.

Olivia nodded.

“Then I will be honest with you. Oli, when I was in that bar, all I could think about was you and Juan” he murmured “I knew from the second that Sara sent me those pictures that there was nothing going on, I trusted you more than I trusted anyone, but they bought to light a fear that I had always had, a fear that, in retrospect, was perhaps the reason I didn’t make my move on you for 5 years. You’re beautiful, the most beautiful girl I have ever met, and when I saw you with Juan, I worried that I was holding you back” he explained, his brown eyes briefly peeking down at her, trying to gage her reaction. “You deserve the best, Oli, and when I saw you with Juan, I got it into my head that you should have been with someone more like…”

“I wanted you” Olivia whispered, her voice quaking as tears began to trickle down her cheeks “I only want to be with you and I thought you would have known that” she whispered.

“I told you I was stupid” he muttered “But that is why, Oli” he murmured.

Olivia nodded her head before chewed on her lip once more. “Can you go please?” she whispered gently.

“Oli…”

“Go” she whispered “I need time to…to wrap my head around it OK?” she murmured.

Iker sighed and moved to his feet.

“I just wanted you” she murmured, wiping her eyes gently “For the last 7 years, all I have wanted is you and I cannot believe that you would not think you were enough for me. I loved you, so much, and that should never have been doubted. I should never have been doubted” she whispered, her voice tearful, yet in a way, still angry and hurt.

Iker sighed and moved towards her, pulling her into a strong kiss that Olivia attempted to fight against for a second before she melted into it, her fingers weaving into his hair as he tried to pull her as close as he physically could. “I am sorry” he whispered, his thumb brushing the tears away from under her blue eyes “But if we could…”

“Go” Olivia repeated gently “Please” she added.

Iker dropped his hold on her and turned towards the door, pulling it open so that he could step into the hallway. “I was just scared” he muttered to the closed door “I was scared of not being enough” he added.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)