‹ Prequel: Run Away With My Heart

Hear Your Heart

27: What Did You Say?

“He proposed?” Callie posed as she moved around Olivia’s apartment, placing more and more things into boxes. It was still a strange thought, the idea that Oliva, along with Thiago, only had a few more weeks in the Spanish capital, but she knew that it was the right call. Iker was the man that the brunette was supposed to end up with and, even if it did mean that Callie lost her friend, Olivia being with Iker was far more important than her staying in Madrid.

Olivia, who had been folding some of Thiago’s clothes, nodded. “He kind of just spat it out” she noted gently “We were talking and he started to get all choked up and then out of nowhere, he asked me to marry him” she added.

“What did you say?” Callie mused.

“He didn’t exactly present me with a chance to answer. He bumbled out some line and then hung up” Olivia noted, chewing on the side of her lip. It had caught her off guard, the last thing she had been expecting when she had called Iker was that he would propose to her, but now that he had, she couldn’t stop thinking about it. It was inevitable, she and Iker were eventually going to take the plunge and get married, but she couldn’t help but worry that it was a little too much too soon. She was moving for him, she was giving up her job and was carrying their second child, and she was pretty sure that they could wait a little while before they got married. There was no need to rush.

“He didn’t let you answer?” Callie posed.

“Nope, he hung up” Olivia mused as she padded towards Thiago’s playpen.

“Why?” Callie posed.

Olivia shrugged before she moved to pick Thiago up, balancing the fussy toddler against her hip. “He’s struggling, Cal, more than I thought he would, and I think the reality of the changes in his life hit him last night. He has never been anywhere but Madrid before and it is probably going to take a lot of adaptation for him to get used to LA” she explained, smoothing Thiago’s hair out.

Callie nodded her head and moved to sit on Olivia’s couch. “Why did he go again?” she posed, moving to sip on the mug of tea that Olivia had plied her with upon her arrival that morning.

Olivia sighed. “Because he wants to play and Real didn’t want to keep him around anymore” she mused as she gently set Thiago down on the floor, allowing him to crawl around a little. She was a little amazed, Thiago seemed to be growing up more and more with every passing day, and she couldn’t quite believe they were only a few weeks away from his first birthday. Sometimes, Olivia still saw him as the tiny baby that had been placed in her arms in the hospital all those months ago.

“He could have just quit” Callie mused “At least then, you two would still be together and he wouldn’t be sat in LA moping right now” she added.

“Iker was never going to quit” Olivia mused “It is not in his nature to give up on anything and whilst he still can, he still wants to show what a great player he is. He’s only got a few more years before he should retire” she explained.

Callie smiled. “That must be why you love him” she quipped.

Olivia frowned. “Why?” she posed.

“Because he won’t give up. I know you Oli, you like a man who will fight for you and Iker, in the last year, has done an awful lot of fighting to get you two back to where you should have been all along. You’re going to be living together, you’re having another baby and that can be seen as a direct result of Iker’s inability to know when to quit” Callie grinned.

“He is rather stubborn” Olivia mused.

“Coming from the girl who ignored the fact she loved him for months” Callie teased, nudging her friend’s ribs.

Olivia rolled her eyes gently before she watched Thiago crawl towards her feet, his little hands tugging at the bottom of her leggings. Smiling, she leant down and picked the baby up, rewarding him with a little kiss on the cheek. “You Ok baby?” she whispered gently, noting the little pout which had appeared on the infant’s face.

“He probably misses his papa” Callie mused gently.

“He does” Olivia noted “He’s been so fussy since Iker went” she added.

“It’s amazing how close they are considering the fact that Iker wasn’t around for the first few months” Callie quipped as she moved to continue packing.

Olivia nodded her head thoughtfully and peeked down at Thiago, noting the small frown which was etched onto his face. “I miss him too, baby” she whispered as she gently pushed some of his dark hair out of his eyes “And I wish he was here too, but right now, your papa needs to do this and we need to be strong for him OK? I know it is strange, not having him here like he has been for the last few months, but it will be alright Thiago. In a few weeks, we’ll be with him” she explained. She knew the baby probably wouldn’t understand, Thiago was only just 10 months old, but she needed to say to him. She needed to say it to someone. Kissing his head, she offered him a small smile. “I love you, Thiago” she whispered.

“Mama” the little boy replied.

Olivia’s eyes widened slightly. “What did you just say?” she squeaked.

Thiago looked at his mother for a second before he moved to rest his head against her shoulder, hiding his face shyly. Olivia stared at him in awe for a second before she kissed his head again. “We’re so showing that to your papa later when we call him” she mused gently as she stood up, moving to gently settle the baby back in his playpen. It was going to be hard, the next five weeks were going to feel like an eternity for Olivia and for Iker too, but she knew that it would all be worth it in the end. By the time she was in LA, there would be little to nothing stopping them from achieving the happily ever after that they both clearly wanted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19 and FootieJo for the comments :)