‹ Prequel: Run Away With My Heart

Hear Your Heart

37: Catalina

“How are you feeling, Miss Garcia?” Tracey posed as she scanned the brunette’s chart, her head nodding gently. It was a little overdue, Olivia’s 20 week scan had been postponed for a few weeks, but she was pleased to finally be seeing the midwife. She was excited, she couldn’t wait to see the image of her baby, but she was more excited to find out the gender of their second child. It didn’t matter, either way, Iker and Olivia were going to love the baby that would be with them in just a few months, but a little part of her hope that it would be a girl. She had always envisaged having a daughter.

“I feel pretty good” Olivia commented, shifting on the examination bed slightly “I mean, the hormones are getting a little worse and there’s obviously the pains from carrying the bump around, but in myself, I feel quite good” she explained.

Tracey nodded her head. “Well, your tests are all looking very positive. The baby is due in July so we will need to work out a birthing plan, but we can do that at a later date. If you lie back, I will do a scan and make sure that everything is alright” she noted kindly.

Olivia smiled and gently lent back against the bed, something which prompted Iker to take her hand. He wasn’t supposed to be there, he’d been due at training that morning, but he’d called in sick, not wanting to miss out on a second of Olivia’s pregnancy. Things had been good for them recently, despite the slight disagreement about Riley, and Iker doubted that he could have been any more content. They were settled, happy, and were on edge waiting for the second back to make their arrival.

“Do we want to know the gender today?” Tracey posed as she moved to scan Olivia’s stomach.

Olivia smiled and peeked up at Iker. “Do you want to know?” she posed softly.

“Do you?” he replied.

Olivia smiled gently and turned back to her midwife, nodding her head softly. “I don’t think we have 3 and a half more months of fighting about the gender in us” she teased gently.

“We’re not fighting” Iker replied “She just won’t accept that she is wrong” he added with a small smile.

Tracey smiled. “I don’t know if anyone has ever told you this, but you two are so sweet together. You make a refreshing change from some of the people I run into here” she noted.

Iker grinned. “Gracias, Tracey” he noted before he soft thump of their baby’s heart filled the room, making the smile on his face even wider. It was still an odd feeling, the fact that Olivia was pregnant for the second time seemed a little surreal to the goalkeeper who at times still found himself awed by the idea of their relationship, but he already knew he loved the baby. He couldn’t wait to meet them.

“Are you sure about want to know the gender?” Tracey posed gently.

Iker nodded his head, squeezing Olivia’s hand softly.

“Then congratulations, you’re expecting a little girl” Tracey cooed.

“A girl?” Olivia whispered, a few tears gathering in her blue eyes.

Tracey nodded her head. “It’s definitely a little girl” she cooed “I will get you a copy of the DVD and a photo. Once again, congratulations” she smiled before she stepped out of the cubicle, leaving Olivia alone with her husband.

“A girl” the keeper whispered “We’re having a little girl” he added, the awe clear to hear in his voice.

Olivia nodded. “Are you OK with that?” she posed gently, tugging him to sit beside her.

Iker pushed his spare hand through his hair and sighed. He was delighted that they were having a daughter, part of him had wanted a little girl even if he had insisted that they were having a boy, but it concerned him slightly. He didn’t quite know how he would cope with a little girl. “What am I supposed to do with a daughter, Oli?” he whispered, his brown eyes peeking down at his wife.

Olivia tilted her head. “What do you mean?” she posed, her thumb gently rubbing his hand.

Iker sighed. “How am I supposed to cope when she grows up and starts dating boys? How am I supposed to deal with her crying? Oli, I am thrilled we’re having a daughter, of course I am, but how am I supposed to cope?” he whispered.

Olivia smiled gently. “Iker, she’s not even born yet” she cooed softly.

The keeper nodded. “I know that” he noted gently “But with a boy, it all seems so straightforward” he explained.

“Iker, you’re not going to be doing this alone” Olivia cooed, her hand gently squeezing his “I will be there with you, every step of the way and we will deal with her together OK? Querida, we’re a parenting team and I am not going to make you deal with anything alone OK?” she smiled gently.

Iker sighed. “I just don’t think that I could handle our little girl dating” he whispered as he brushed his hand over Olivia’s bump, sparing a gentle smile.

“Most papas are like that” Olivia smiled “I know mine was. But I will teach you to be OK” she enthused.

Iker nodded his head gently before he leant forwards, kissing Olivia’s bump tenderly. “I love you so much already, princesa” he whispered.

Olivia grinned. “What do you think of the name Catalina?” she posed gently.

Iker quirked his brow. “Catalina?” he posed.

Olivia placed her palm to her bump before she turned her eyes back to him. “It was my mama’s name. Thiago’s middle name is Alberto, after my papa, but I love the name Catalina and was wondering if you’d be ok with us giving it to our little girl. It’s ok if you don’t, but I…”

“I love the name” Iker whispered, cutting off her rambling “Catalina Casillas Garcia” he whispered gently.

“You’d really be OK with it?” she posed

Iker smiled. “Of course. It’s a beautiful name and I am not going to stop you naming our little girl after you madre, Oli, it’s a touching thing to do and I am all for it” he enthused.

Olivia smiled softly. “Gracias” she whispered.

Iker shook his head, mumbling that there was nothing to thank him for, before he ducked down to kiss her bump gently once more. “Mi princesa, Catalina” he murmured before he leant up towards Olivia, pecking her lips gently. It was going to take some getting used to, the idea that they were having a little girl, but he was happy nevertheless. He was sure that their little girl would be perfect.