‹ Prequel: Run Away With My Heart

Hear Your Heart

03: All We Were Is Irrelevant Now

“I should go and check on him” Olivia murmured as she shifted a little, trying to get out of Iker’s eye-line. She knew he was mad, the look on his face was one she knew well from their time as friends and as a couple, and a large part of her wanted to run. He was going to yell, as soon as his mind was done trying to process what she had just told him, he was going to shout, and Olivia just wanted to get away. “Don’t move” Iker muttered, the tone of his voice almost undecipherable “Mama, can you go and deal with him?” he mumbled, not for a second shifting his stare away from Olivia. Carmen nodded her head and skittered out of the room, leaving her son alone with his former girlfriend. Olivia went to object, she knew that Thiago didn’t deal well with people he didn’t know very well, but one look at Iker’s face stopped her. He looked furious and she didn’t want to make things any worse.

“How could you not tell me?” Iker muttered.

“I did tell you” Olivia replied, trying to keep her voice from break “You knew I was pregnant when you went and slept with that puta” she added.

“And I was told that you’d lost the baby” Iker shot back.

“I never told you that and I know that no one I was close to did either” Olivia noted, swallowing slightly “Iker, it is not my fault that you listened to gossip” she added.

“But it is your fault that I didn’t know that we had a son” he snapped, his voice low and angry “It is your fault that I missed 9 months of scans, of first kicks and baby shopping. You knew that you were carrying my baby and never once did you try and make an attempt to talk to me, to involve me. Why are you here now, Olivia?” he snapped “Do you need money or something?” he added snidely.

Olivia shook her head. “Of course I don’t” she noted “Iker, I am here because I want my son to know his father” she added.

“You didn’t seem to care for the last year about that, Olivia” Iker countered “You didn’t even try to contact me and now you expect me to believe that you have had an epiphany? You want something, Olivia” he added.

Olivia shook her head. “I don’t want a thing from you, I haven’t done in 12 months and if it wasn’t for the baby that is upstairs, I would have been happy to never see your face again. This isn’t about money, this isn’t about me thinking you owe me a thing, quite frankly, I don’t care what you think. Iker, I had a baby, our baby, and I want my son to know you, even if I cannot bear to look at you still” she hissed “If it wasn’t for him, I would have left the country, I would have walked away from everything I had and gone, but I stayed and whilst I accept it is a little late, I am here. If you don’t want me to stay, fine, I just thought you ought to know” she muttered before she moved to climb the stairs.

Iker swallowed. “Why didn’t you just call?” he called after her, causing her to stop before she climbed the steps.

“Because I hated you” she admitted shamefully.

Iker closed his eyes. He’d never thought he could hear that from her.

“I couldn’t look at you, Iker, I couldn’t bear to be in the same room as you, and, until recently, I couldn’t bear the thought of you and I having made the little boy who is upstairs. I hated you, more than I thought I could, but that stopped being important. When he was born, I saw that I didn’t have the right to decide what role you played. I have been a bitch, a petty one at that, but now he is here, I know I have to at least say I tried to involve you. Whether I want you around or not is irrelevant. I have to do what is right for Thiago” she whispered, trying desperately to fight the urge to cry. She knew that it was pathetic, it had been a year since ‘the incident’, but just being the same room as him made her stomach turn. When she looked at him, all she could see was the image of him with the girl he had cheated with and it bought back a rush of feelings that Olivia didn’t quite know how to process.

“Oli…”

“No” Olivia interjected, her voice heavy with a sob “Don’t try and make this about us” she added.

“This is about us” Iker noted, taking a step towards her “This has always been about us” he added.

“Iker, I don’t want to talk about it, not now, not ever. You made your feelings towards me painfully clear when you went home with another woman” she whimpered, her hands gently rubbing the tears away from her eyes.

“Oli, querida…”

Olivia shook her head and span on her heel, her hand slapping his cheek with an audible clap. “Never say that to me again” she hissed “You lost the right to call me anything like that when you cheated on me. Iker, I am done with you and I am only here right now because I know that my son needs his father. So don’t you dare try and trick me into talking about what happened and don’t you dare try and win me around, because I am not falling for it. I am done with you, I don’t care about you. We’re done” she hissed, tears streaming down her cheeks.

“Oli, I love you” he murmured, rubbing his cheek.

Olivia shook her head. “That doesn’t matter anymore” she hissed “Now, I am going to go upstairs and check on our son and when I come back, you’re going to meet him OK?” she posed, trying to furiously wipe the tears away from her blue eyes.

Iker shook his head. “I want to talk, Oli” he whispered, his hand gently reaching out towards hers, but Olivia was quick to retract her hand, folding it over her chest.

“That picture said a thousand words, Iker” she murmured “It told me that you didn’t trust me, that you didn’t respect me and that you didn’t care about me in the way I cared so much about you. You took what we had and you ruined that, not me. What we were, me and you, it doesn’t matter anymore. We’re the past, and I have little intention of going back there. Now, I am going to get Thiago and I want you to meet him OK? Do you think you can handle that?” she posed, chewing on her lip in the way she did when she got nervous.

Iker closed his eyes, but nodded his head, knowing that he needed to move on step at a time.