‹ Prequel: Run Away With My Heart

Hear Your Heart

39: That Can’t Be Right

“Oh, look at you” Carmen grinned as she wrapped her arms around Olivia, her eyes admiring the ever-growing bump that graced the brunette’s stomach. It was a welcome sight, Carmen was thrilled that she was expecting a second grandchild, and she was even more thrilled that Olivia was the one who was giving it to her. She loved the brunette and was thrilled that she was due to be her daughter-in-law when she and Iker got around to planning a wedding.

Olivia smiled gently. “Gracias” she cooed appreciatively “I don’t feel particularly attractive right now, but your son won’t let me think that. Every time I say something even vaguely negative he pops up and…”

“Tells you that you’re the most beautiful woman in the world, even more so when you are carrying our baby” Iker interjected, a wide grin on his face as he slipped his arm around Olivia’s waist, gifting her a light kiss on the cheek.

Olivia rolled her eyes and offered Carmen a polite grin before she turned on her heel, leaving Iker with his mother. “You two look so happy” she mused, gently nudging the keeper’s arm. Iker smiled softly in return and nodded his head. They were happy, the happier that they had ever been, and he liked it like that. Olivia made him happy, Thiago made things even better, and he was sure that Catalina would make things perfect when she was born, something Iker was counting the days down to. He couldn’t wait to see her enter the world.

“I am so happy for you, Iker” Carmen mused, smiling up at her son “You’ve got such a wonderful little family here, but it does beg the question, when are you and Oli going to make things official?” she posed softly. She was curious, even if she didn’t want to put a lot of pressure on her son and his girlfriend, and she wanted an indication as to when they would get married. It seemed like the last piece of the puzzle.

Iker looked down at his mother and shrugged, trying his hardest to stifle the grin that was itching to break out on his face. He knew it was wrong, he and Olivia had been married for months and no one was any the wiser, but he didn’t quite want to share the news then. It was going to cause friction, his mother for one was going to be disappointed to have missed his wedding, and Iker wanted to save it until after the baby had been born. He wanted everyone to be gathered around when his little girl entered the world. “We’re getting to it, mama” Iker replied gently “We’ve got a lot on our plate right now with the baby on the way and everything, but we’ll get to it” he smiled.

Carmen nodded. “Make sure that you do” she noted firmly “I love that girl like a daughter and I do not want you losing her again” she added.

Iker smiled gently and pulled his mother into a hug. “I am not letting her go, mama” he assured her softly.

~#~
“I cannot believe that you’re nearly 40 years old, hombre” Sergio teased as he placed a bottle of beer into Iker’s hand, offering the goalkeeper a wide grin. It was a little strange, Sergio hadn’t seen Iker for months, but he was pleased to have been invited to the keeper’s birthday. He had missed him and was excited by the chance to spend time with him and Olivia again.

Iker rolled his eyes. “Please, don’t bring it up. It is Oli’s favourite thing right now” he grumbled, a playful frown on his face.

Sergio chuckled. “It’s nice to see you two so happy, Iker” he enthused softly “It seems like only yesterday that you two were denying that there was any feelings between you and now look at you. You have one beautiful child already, another on the way, and a wedding to plan. It’s amazing to see” he mused.

Iker nodded his head and sipped on his beer. “Can I tell you something?” he murmured gently. It was a risk, there was a chance that Sergio could react badly too, but Iker wanted to tell someone. He wanted someone to be aware that he already had Olivia as a wife.

Sergio tilted his head. “What’s wrong, Iker?” he posed.

Iker chuckled. “Nothing’s wrong” he smiled “I just need to tell someone” he added.

Sergio cocked his brow. “Iker?” he posed.

“Olivia and I are already married” the keeper revealed gently.

Sergio frowned softly. “You’re kidding right?” he posed.

Iker shook his head. “Not at all. We got married about a week after Thiago’s first birthday in city hall. It was a spontaneous thing, but I have never been surer of anything in my life, Sergio. Oli and I are supposed to be together and I know it” he grinned.

Sergio blinked a little, trying to digest the news, as the patio door opened, allowing Olivia to pad out with Iker’s cake in her hand. “Happy birthday to you” she sung softly, accompanied by his parents and brother as well as Pilar.

Iker smiled and pushed himself to his feet, grinning as Olivia placed the cake in his hands. “Happy birthday, mi amor” she whispered as she placed a kiss against his cheek.

Iker thanked her gently and moved to blow out the candles.

“You’re married” Sergio squeaked, causing Iker to still slightly.

Carmen, who had been stood beside Olivia, frowned. “What?” she posed softly “That can’t be right” she added, shaking her head.

Iker peeked at Olivia who had started to chew on her lip before he flicked his stare to his family. “Mama, I am sorry, but it is true. About a week after Thiago turned one, Olivia and I got married at city hall. We’re sorry that we did it without you, but it was a spur of the moment decision and whilst I know it upsets you, I am not going to say that I regret it, because I don’t. I love Olivia and I am thrilled to be able to call her my wife” he explained firmly, his hand moving to take Olivia’s.

Carmen looked at her son before she shook her head, padding back inside the house with Jose in close pursuit.

Iker sighed gently. “I should have kept it to myself” he mumbled, wrapping his arms softly around Olivia.

Olivia sighed. “Perhaps” she mumbled “But this was always going to come out and at least this way it was face to face as opposed to through a magazine. You should go and talk to your parents, I will deal with Sergio and Pilar” she mused kindly.

Iker nodded his head and pressed a kiss to her cheek before he padded into the house, hoping he could talk his parents into being happy for him.