‹ Prequel: Run Away With My Heart

Hear Your Heart

04: It’s About Him Now

Sitting down on the end of the bed which sat in the spare room, Olivia sighed gently, her blue eyes fixed on her son who had quietly settled down in her arms. It had been a small while, Olivia had taken some time to calm herself down before she ventured down the stairs, and she wasn’t quite sure that she could make it down again. She had always know that it would be hard, the idea of being in the same room as Iker had never been one that sat comfortably with her, but hearing him say that he loved her had only served to make things worse. As silly as it was, the three little words had bought butterflies into her stomach and she hated that he could still have such an effect on her. She hated that her heart still leapt when he looked at her and that her skin grew warm when his fingers touched it. Sniffling a little, she trailed her fingers beneath her eyes, gently wiping away a few loose tears before she spotted the door opening, allowing Iker to step inside.

“I thought you’d run off” he murmured gently “You came up here almost an hour ago, I worried you’d climbed out of the window or something” he rambled gently.

“I needed to calm down” Olivia murmured “I don’t want to yell in front of him” she added, her blue eyes never leaving the baby who sat in her arms. Iker watched her for a second before he moved his stare down, his stomach flipping a little at the sight of the baby. “He’s breathtaking, right?” Olivia murmured gently.

Iker nodded his head. “He is” he murmured “When was he born?” he posed, gently sitting on the bed beside her. Olivia shifted, not liking their proximity, but quickly settled as Thiago made a small noise, earning a smile on her former boyfriend’s face.

“His birthday is the 24th of March” she whispered, gently rubbing Thiago’s arm as she tried to soothe him back to sleep “It was a hospital birth and my midwife was with me throughout” she noted.

Iker nodded. “You didn’t have Callie or Daniel?” he posed lightly.

“They kept fighting over it, so I opted to have neither, but Daniel is a proud uncle and Callie is a proud godmother” she explained.

“You picked godparents” Iker murmured “And his name. I missed out” he whispered.

“I’m sorry for that” Olivia murmured gently, her blue eyes staring down at Thiago “I should have come sooner” she whispered.

“I’m sorry for making you feel as though you couldn’t come” Iker murmured “Oli, I know you don’t want to talk about us…”

“There is no us, Iker” Olivia interjected with a slight shake of her head “There can’t ever be an ‘us’ again” she added.

Iker dropped his head. “Oli, if I could go back, I would. I have never regretted anything more than what I did to you. I think about you, about us, all of the time, and it breaks my heart” he murmured “Oli, I miss you” he added.

Olivia sniffed, a sound that made Thiago open his eyes and stare around the room. “You could hold him” she managed to get out “I am sure he would love that” she added gently. Iker flinched, noting the way in which she completely ignored his previous comment, but nodded his head, offering the best smile he could muster. “I would love it too” he noted softly.

Olivia nodded her head gently and moved to help Iker position his arms, not missing the way her stomach jumped as their hands brushed. “Make sure you watch his head” she mused, gently placing Thiago in the keeper’s hands. Iker shifted his arms fractionally and smiled, his eyes tearing up somewhat as Thiago stretched out, moving to get comfortable in the unfamiliar embrace. Olivia bit her lip and turned her head away, not wanting to lose herself in the sight of her son and his father.

“He’s beautiful, Oli” Iker whispered, smiling down at the baby.

Olivia nodded her head. “He’s more than beautiful, he’s perfect” she enthused.

“I can’t believe he’s ours” Iker whispered “I can’t believe that I helped make him” he chuckled feebly.

Olivia smiled back at him weakly before she moved to comb her fingers through Thiago’s hair. “Iker, if you want to be around for him, then I would love that, but you need to understand that that would not change things between you and me. We’re done, we have been since you took home that other girl, and that is not something I am going to change. I am not going to stop you seeing him” she murmured, gently gesturing towards Thiago “But I am not going to give you any false hope either. We’re done” she whispered.

Iker sighed. “Is there no hope?” he whispered, turning his head to look at her.

Olivia shook her head. “I can’t just forget what you did to me” she murmured “I can’t forget the way it hurt” she added.

Iker sighed, but leant a little closer. “There’s absolutely nothing I can do?” he posed.

“Iker, please, don’t make this harder” Olivia pleaded.

Iker, not heeding her warning, leant a fraction closer, brushing the slightest of kisses over her lips. Olivia’s breathing hitched, but she still had the wherewithal to move away, shaking her head. “Iker, no” she murmured firmly despite the slight tremble in her voice “You have no right to try and worm your way back into my life. I am here for him, and only for him. Iker, there is no hope” she whispered, shaking her head furiously.

Iker sighed. “Oli…”

“No” Olivia snapped “Stop trying to sweet talk me and baffle my mind. It is done, I am not going to change my mind about it, and if your only intention is to change it, then you’re wasting your time. Iker, I am all for you being around for him, but as far as you and I go, there is nothing you can do unless you own a time machine. You had your shot, you messed it up, and I am not going to change my mind about is” she hissed.

Iker sighed gently before he flicked his eyes down to Thiago, knowing he couldn’t just pretend that he didn’t exist. “Fine” he murmured “I will be there for Thiago and for nothing else, if that is what you want” he noted.

Olivia sighed. “Thank you” she mumbled.

Iker shook his head. “Just because you don’t want me, doesn’t mean I am going to give up on you and me Oli. You can refute it to your heart’s content, but we have something, the way your breathing hitched a second ago shows it. I know that it is hard to see right now, but I do love you, Olivia” he murmured.

Olivia shook her head. “No, you don’t” she replied “And I don’t love you either” she muttered.

Iker smirked. “Somehow, I find that hard to believe” he murmured before he moved to place Thiago back into his mother’s arms “I will show you, Oli” he added.

Olivia shook her head, but didn’t utter a word, not seeing the point in fighting him.