Status: Finished

The Truth About Mermaids

The Story

Men scurried to and fro as they went about their tasks on the ship. No one had a idea yet of the stowaway that lied beneath the deck in a barrel among other barrels that contained food. The stowaway stayed in the barrel, in fear that they would be discovered by the men patroling around. They hoped no one would notice the small russles as they tried to keep their limbs from falling numb.

The stowaway, well the stowaway was a woman who hid in the barrel in hopes that the ship would take her far away from the small village she knew. Her life wasn't the greatest but she dreamed of seeing the world and finding new ways to live. She hid because she knew the men, or pirates, had tales that women on ships were signs of bad luck and they often tried to drown the women if they were found. She kept quiet as much as she could but unfortunately she wasn't used to rough seas.

She had carefully lifted the lid on her barrel and peeked out from the small view to make sure no one was around. When she deemed the area safe, she quietly slid the lid completely off the barrel and climbed out. She set the lid back on the barrel with one hand, the other holding her stomach as it threatened to expel everything in it. Quickly making her way to a porthole she let her stomach loose. She hoped that it wouldn't be too loud but luck seemed to not be on her side this day.

"Who? A wench! We gots a wench on the 'ip 'aptain!" A pirate cried as he came to inspect the noise below deck only to spot the stowaway. More pirates scrambled below deck as they heard the pirate's cry. The woman cried out in shock as she was hit on the head before her view went dark.

When she awoke, her legs were bound together and tied to a brick. She looked around her wildly and saw all the pirates surrounding her. She felt tears well up in her eyes as she began to beg them not to throw her overboard. But they wouldn't give in to her cries as the captain grabbed her by her hair and dragged her onto the plank.

"Lass, you know the tales and you still come on. I can' 'ave a wench on my ship." The captain said ignoring her cries and wails. He shoved her off the plank and watched as the bubbles appeared on the surface of the sea.

She wailed in desperation as her body hit the water dragged slowly down by the brick. Choking on the salt water that entered her open mouth, she desperately tried to swim to the surface with her arms but the brick was heavy. Her lungs burned for oxygen but it was denied. Her arms stretch above her as she sank slowly to the bottom, completely tired and useless.

It tooks a hundred years for her legs to become one, and to be able to breathe underneath the sea but she didn't care. She only knew the anger and rage she felt to kill all pirates who sailed in her sea. She had found that other women like her also swam in the water, their fate much like her own was. Thrown overboard with her feet tied to a brick by pirates who feared their ship would be cursed with bad luck for having a woman onboard. They all knew the rage and deep desire for revenge on the pirates she felt.

It was then she was taught the ways of luring men into the sea and crashing their ships. She felt a sense of joy as she killed her first pirate with the others watching to make sure she was safe from harm.

Like tonight, she was given the task of crashing an enitre ship full of pirates. She swam to the surface and began her long search of a perfect target. When she had one, she sat upon a rock and began to sing. Her voice husky from the damage the salt water she choked and drank years ago had caused. She could see the effect her voice had was working perfectly as the captain of the ship began to daze off. He let go of the wheel and began to walk towards the edge of the deck.

"Upon one summer's moring
I carefully did stray
Down by the walls of
Wapping
Where I met a sailor gay

Conversing with a young lass
Who seem'd to be in pain
Saying, William, when you go
I fear you'll ne'er return again," She sang, and soon she heard others join in to help as they realized how large the crew was.

"My heart is pierced by Cupid
I disdaint all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me
But my jolly sailor bold

His hair it hangs in ringlets
His eyes as black as coal
My happiness attend him
Wherever he may go

From tower hill to blackwall
I'll wander, weep and moan
All for my jolly sailor
Until he sails home

My heart is pierced by Cupid
I distain all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me
But my jolly sailor bold," They sang watching as one by one pirates jumped off the ship. Some swam down to help drown them while the others stayed to help her.

"My father is a merchant
The truth I now will tell
And in great London city
In opulence doth dwell

His fortune doth exceed
300,000 gold
And he frowns upon
his daughter
Who loves a sailor bold

A fig for his riches
His merchandise and gold
True love has grafted my heart
Give me my sailor bold

My heart is pierced by Cupid
I disdain all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me
But my jolly sailor bold," They continued but didn't go further into the song as they knew all the pirates had drowned. They watched as the ship crashed into the cliffsides and broke into many pieces. They gave a grin of joy before they dived underwater to search for their next pirate to drown.
♠ ♠ ♠
Used this as my reference to songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASe0q5D2Ubs