Blue Through the Grey

The Great Beginning

Jennifer

The seatbelt is sliced and my body is tossed around the cabin. We’re heading down, quickly. Dad grapples onto my hand and holds tight. Taking a plane into the air during daylight in an alien invasion is not ideal, just so everyone knows. I look at the fear in my dad’s eyes, it’s something that I’ve never seen before, not even when we were split up or when the aliens attacked. Then the plane smashes into the alien headquarters. I black out, when I awake, I’m lying on the ground and gunfire rings throughout my ears. Dad is gone along with Emily and Jessica, It’s just me, Evan and the two dead pilots. The left arm on my Exo is completely blown to shit so it’s useless and I can’t move it. I feel the flames against my face, hot, sweat beads down my face. I try to stand but one of my Exo legs are destroyed too. There’s no repairing the damages on site. I rip the Exo off my body and pull the guns out of their holsters. I take the Exo glove so I can use the shield, the rest is no use. I jump out onto the roof of the destroyed building. This is not what was supposed to happen. Women, Children, innocent people, murdered by...us. I gulp and jump through a hole leading down into one of the halls. There’s people scattered, screaming for their loved ones. I limp towards the wall and hold myself up, wiping the hair out of my face. The world was not prepared for a war like this. We were not prepared to fight aliens, we were not prepared for ghouls to wipe us out. We were not ready. There’s a man in the distance dressed in army fatigues. I weakly aim my gun at him.
“Stop!” I scream. “Don’t move!” I don’t even know if he’s alien, but I’m not taking the risk. He aims his gun at me too, he’s not sure if I’m alien either. “Was that you? Is that your plane?” Is he alien?
“Yes. We’re here to rescue people! The others you’re here with, the leaders of this place, they aren’t human!”
It’s no use, he’s shot. Half of his head blown against the wall and me. Oh god, the man that shot him, the man that magically had a hold of me at the beginning of this, is now charging straight towards me with a rifle in his hand.

I try to evade him but he starts spraying bullets. I’m not quick enough to put the shield up, but luckily only one bullet hits me. My arm burns. It feels like a fire was started in one small place and spread throughout my body. I look to my left and see my way out...a window. With the shield still on, I dive through it and smack against the pavement. I gather myself and watch the carnage unfold. People shooting people, alien shooting alien. Who even is an alien? who is human? I grab my pistol and aim around, but I don’t know who to shoot. I see our men and I see scared innocent people. This is what the aliens wanted, how easy would it be to kill us off if we battled ourselves. I push through the crowd to search for my crew, but there’s no sign of them. I lean over, throwing my hands on my knees and letting my breaths take over my body. I look up, seeing my enemy standing in the window. He looks down at me, giggling. I can feel the tears start to fill my eyes, I blink them away and squeeze my hand together, digging my nails into my skin until blood drips between my fingers. I jump up and run towards a dead body, I drop down beside the young boy and rip of his Exo. I quickly press a button and it conforms to my body. I don’t waste time, I speed towards the window and leap through it. Grabbing him by the neck and squeezing hard.
“What do you think, Jennifer?”
“I think I’m gonna rip your head off!” I scream.
“Look at all of this around you. Do you think that we didn’t know this was going to happen? Even if you kill me, we have millions of places like this on earth”
“One less alien shitbag on this planet!” I toss him on the ground and aim the built in rifle at him. I close my eyes, I don’t want to kill him but I have to, I have to kill him. I spray bullets until the clip reloads.
“Alliance!” A man screams. I walk towards the window and look. It’s dad. “They’re pulling out, time to get home!”
I jump down onto the asphalt and make my way to him. A large plane and a few helicopters are loading people up. There seems to be a large shield around the runway. When they leave, what’s left is us and dead bodies.
“I killed him” I say, walking up behind my dad.
“I figured you would” He smiles. “They’re stationed all over the world, this is only the first”
“That’s what he said before he died” I say.
I brush the hair behind my ears and look around. People limping away, people on the ground, people crying, our plane crashed into their sanctuary, smoke towering into the sky.
“They wanted this” I grab my dad’s shoulder. “They’re killing us off with war”
“Yes, but if we continue this battle, we’ll eventually win”
“That’s not how it works” I can feel the anger stir in my brain. “We can’t go around killing innocent people just to see if they’re aliens!”
“Jennifer, not now. Now is not the time to argue”
“What about Reilly and Noah, did you find them?”
“Let’s get back to base” He walks away.