Blue Through the Grey

The last fool

HEY ALIENS, I'M OUT HERE WANDERING AROUND ON THE HIGHWAY. SHOOT ME. I am stupid. Why the hell would I journey out onto the road in the middle of a frigging alien apocalypse. Because I am stupid. Stupid Jennifer, stupid aliens, stupid. I retreat to a car with a sunroof, the stars are bright and beautiful. It almost takes my mind off of the huge ship floating a few thousand feet above my head. Yeah, stupid. I even thought that the Outsiders were just gonna shoot some lasers, kill some people, satisfy their thirst for blood and leave. Boy was I wrong. The world will never be the same and neither will I. I'm probably the last fool on this once vibrant planet. Remember those movies where the aliens came down from mars in their frisbees, killed a bunch of people and the military flew up in their jets and shot down the mothership? Well, that's nothing like what's going on. The military has been vaporized and the government went underground somewhere. Why did I choose this little car to rest in? It feels like the walls are closing in on me. I want to scream, GOD I WANT TO SCREAM. But I can't. Those bastards would flock to me like crows chowing on road kill. Why am I so goddamned stupid?

Where the hell is my dad? He surely isn't dumb enough to wait around and let the aliens shoot him with their vaporizers, but he could've left a trail for his daughter, his only surviving child. I'm walking around, totally exposed to these creatures. Should I even call them that? Do they look like us, talk like us, breathe like us? My eyes spy a trail of blood. It starts at the front gate and ends at a tall tree that's only a few feet away. God, is it my dad? I sure hope not. I clench my hands, grit my teeth and round the corner. It's not my dad, but a little girl, no older than 8. I have to get away from this fairground so I do what most of the survivors (if there is any) did. I go into the woods. Completely covered by leaves that were brought in by spring. It shades the hot sun, so I'm not really baking anymore. Ah, I'd probably taste good to them. A young piece of meat boiling out in the sun, getting to the perfectly edible temperature. A Jenn-kebab. So far, there is no one in these woods. Maybe they just ran really damn fast. Like; HEY, I SHOULD GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE. That's probably what my dad did.

My body jolts awake, from lack of water? or maybe it was the thought of murderous Outsiders coming to feast on me when I was asleep. Anyway, I'm awake now and the sun is just coming up. Should I hike to somewhere? I really have no goal...just to stay alive or maybe find a hot date. Yeah right, hot date. I definitely look like shit. No human or alien would want to date me. Not that I wanna date an Outsider. And then the thought hangs around in my brain all day. What if they're like super hot? What if I found one and made it fall in love with me? Now I see why my friends thought I was a nutcase. I've been walking all day and I'm still not shot up by lasers or probed by little green men. They probably think one little, fragile, starving, dehydrated girl is no harm. Hey, I'm an awesome shot with this rifle, thanks to my...dad. "Maybe you'll get to shoot one" He teased. Yeah dad, maybe I'll get to shoot an alien that's millions of years more advanced than us. Just maybe. He's gone. It hits me like a bus every day, my dad, my mom, my siblings. I'd give anything to have them back, to hold their hands, to kiss their cheek, to hear them vocalize in the living room together. They arrived and then they died. Just like everyone did.

Maybe it's the heat getting to me or maybe it's something entirely different. I see someone in the distance, perched in a tall tree, rubbing his eyes. Crying? I dunno. I grab a thick branch off the ground like it'd protect me if this man tried to kill me. Hell, he could have a gun. And when I got closer, I see that he did. When I got even closer, the face turned towards me. We looked at each other for a whole second, but it felt like a lifetime. The man staring back at me was my dad. He jumped to his feet, dropping the rifle to the ground and pulling me into a warm embrace. He still smelled like him, some sort of polo cologne maybe?
"Sorry, I left," He said into my ear.
"Don't sweat it. I'm just glad I found you" I'm sniffling and thinking; Suck it up, Jenn. Don't let dad think you're some kind of a wuss.
He tells me some survivor passed him and said that there was a refugee camp up on the mountain somewhere. I say, But it only just began. He says They've been planning the refugee camp since they seen the mothership. I just agree with him and follow. I'll follow him anywhere if it means getting the hell to safety.

Safety. Am I safe here on the highway? NO YOU IDIOT. Don't call me an idiot. LOOK AT THE MOTHERSHIP, DOES IT LOOK SAFE? No, but I was just asking a question. YOUR QUESTIONS ARE STUPID, JENNIFER. Thanks, brain. Always in a constant battle with myself. Am I going crazy? I need someone to talk to. I did find a stuffed elephant a few weeks back, I occasionally talk to it. But it never talks back. Asshole. I can't believe I'm walking around without cover and haven't been blown to bits by a drone. Maybe they're stalking me, making fun of me. Look at this dumb girl walking the road, thinking she's safe, let's kill her. All day I've been out here and it's time to rest again. In a car like always. The backseat is somewhat comfortable but I'm also freezing in the cold September air. It's not like I can roll over and make a fire in the front seat. That's not plausible and it'd be a dead giveaway, if they didn't see me walking, they'd definitely see a fire in a sea of darkness. JENN, YOU'RE SO SCREWED. Once again brain, thanks.