Blue Through the Grey

The Sacred Hunt

Part 7: The new world

Ellie.

“Shit” is the first word to leave my mouth when I awake and feel the cold touch my skin. Last night, I celebrated my 15th birthday by eating the last vanilla cupcake. I roll my eyes and jump out of bed, the power went out overnight, the snow must have covered the solar panels. I throw on my clothes and jacket, tie up my stringy brown hair, slip on my converse, and head downstairs. By the front door is my bow and rifle. I’ve never actually had to use them, but I know one day I will. I grab the rifle and toss it on my shoulder. I touch the gold door handle, it’s cold, just like every other thing in this damn house. I open the door and tip-toe onto the porch, trying to not make a sound. A few days ago, a pack of those weird mutated people trailed by. Scared for my life, I hid under my bed until they left. Attached to a pillar on the porch is my horse snowflake. A beautiful brown color, he’s been by my side since the beginning.
“Hey Snowflake. Gotta venture out to the panels today. Think the snow knocked out the power”
He doesn’t say anything back, but it’s nice to talk to someone. I reach into my pocket and pull out half of an apple. He reaches out his tongue and snatches it out of my hand. I untie the rope and throw myself on top.
“C’mon Snowflake, into the woods. God I can’t wait till the season changes so I can name you something else.”
The panels are through the woods a bit and out in an open field, so it’s not a surprise that the snow would cover them up.
We fly through the forest, the cold wind flowing through my hair. Before we get to the edge of the woods, I stop Snowflake and tie him to a tree.
“Swear to god, if you somehow untie yourself...you’ll never have babies.”
I head for the field but stop dead in my tracks. The panels aren’t covered with snow, they’re being torn apart by two guys. My eyes widen and I hide behind a tree, my back slumped against it. Why didn’t I just stay home? God I’m stupid. I grab my rifle, my knuckles white from my grip. I turn the safety off and turn the corner. I have them in my sights as I walk out into the field.
“Hey!.” I gulp, scared. “Those panels are mine, back away or I’ll put a bullet between your eyes and then skin your friend here.”
The two guys look at each other and laugh. “I don’t think I want to kill a little girl today.”
“You’ll be killing me if you take those panels.” Once again, I gulp, it’s harder this time.
“Look.” The other guy pulls out his pistol. “I don’t want to kill you.” He aims it at me.
Oh god, I’m so dead. “Listen here you fucker, those are mine.” I say it very calm. Before I know it, there’s a bang and he’s on the ground, dead.
I take off to the treeline and retreat behind a tall pine tree. I hold the rifle tight in my hands and bend over, taking in deep breaths. I don’t even know what just happened. I feel a burn in my left leg, then a small trickle of something drips down my leg. I instantly knew, I was shot. I peek out from behind cover, the man isn’t there. I hear a yelp from Snowflake. I don’t care where he is, nothing is gonna hurt my partner in crime. I run faster than I’ve ever ran before, Snowflake is lying in the snow, bleeding. I fall to the ground and press my hands on the wound.
“C’mon Snowflake...Please don’t do this to me.” I lay my head on him and listen to his heartbeat. Thump Thump Thump...Thump…...Thump……...Thump...Then nothing.
I grab my rifle and swing it around, looking for the bastard. Through tear filled eyes, I spot him. I fire over and over, hoping I hit him. I wipe the tears away and run in the direction I last seen him. There he is, bleeding out in the snow, just like Snowflake.
“You killed my horse.” I say, crying.
“You...killed...my...brother.” He’s looking up at the sky, letting the snow pile on him.
“Now you’ll be with him.” I close my eyes and shoot him in the head.

I run back to Snowflake and drop down beside him, petting his soft fur. I don’t care if there’s something out here, I don’t care if the aliens are watching. I wrap my arms around his neck and hold him, my last true friend is dead. I cry hard, I let all my emotions out.
“Asshole!.” I scream. “Snowflake, please come back.” But he’s not coming back, he never will.
I make my way back to the panels and examine what they did, no damage. Good thing I made it when I did. I flip the switch and hear the soft hum of the motor.
“I’ll make sure your death wasn’t in vain.” I say to myself.
The walk back home is agonizing and long. Most of it crying and yelling, wishing I just would’ve backed off or stayed home. They were going to kill me either way though, I’m not stupid. When I finally get home, I toss my gun on the couch and throw off my coat. I make my way upstairs and get in the shower. I stand there while the water burns my skin. I killed two people today. I ventured out and this is what happens. It was either me or them. I cry a bit and then get out, barely able to dress myself. I plop down on my bed and turn on the TV, watching ‘Orange is the new black’ for the 19th time. There’s a thud downstairs and I instantly jump to my feet, shutting the TV off and retreating to my nightstand to get my pistol. I open the door slowly and step out into the hallway. I hear dishes breaking and a man yelling. Boots stomp up the stairs, I jump into the hallway closet and hush my breathing. I hold the pistol tight and close my eyes, hoping he passes by. But he doesn’t. He kicks open the door, shards of wood flying in my face. I fall to the floor, dropping the pistol. He picks me up and throws me against the wall, his hand around my neck.
“Did you kill my fucking brothers?!.” He backhands me across the face.
“They said they’d kill me and then one of those fuckers killed my horse!.” I bite one of his fingers and he drops me. I cough and grab my neck, trying to get air back into my lungs.
I see his boot slice through the air and it makes contact with my side. I fall on the floor, rolling onto my back. He drops to his knees and wraps his hands around my neck, squeezing harder this time. I can feel the life fading away but I’m determined to live.
I reach for the gun but it’s too far away. I punch him in the crotch and get the pistol in my hands. I aim it at his head but he grabs it and starts pushing it towards me. He’s strong, but my will to live is stronger. I push back, when it gets a little under his chin, I fire until the magazine is empty. He falls on my chest, dead. I push him off and stand up, leaning against the wall. I can feel the blood on my face, a mixture of his and mine.
“Oh god.” I say over and over until I finally realize what had happened.
I push the body into the closet, shower, pack my things in a big bag, and head out into the darkness. This was just the beginning.