A Little Too Much

Two.

Patrick was frozen. In that moment the confident NHL superstar felt as though someone had punched him straight in the gut. He was desperately trying to avoid McKenna's gaze, but as he looked up, he recognized a face he knew far to well. She was broken, it was obvious. And it was all his fault. Once again he managed to make the girl standing across from him world spin around, and in the worst way possible. The silent tension was broken by the brunette still attached to Patricks side.

"I don't think I know you?" the beautiful brunette inquired staring directly at McKenna.

McKenna hadn't paid any attention to one word the mystery, model looking girl had said to her. Her world had quickly crashed down into a million pieces. It was evident that whoever the girl was Patrick wasn't just sleeping with her and leaving before she woke up the next morning. He wasn't the girlfriend type, and McKenna found that out the hard way.

When McKenna moved to Chicago when she started college, she was only 18. She spent most of her summer before her freshman year at the United Center which meant she began to spend a lot more time with her brothers best friend and team mate, Patrick Kane. The two had never just been friends. There has always been an underlying connection between them. He was constantly flirting with her, sometimes to get a rise out of her older brother Jonathan, but mostly because he wanted her. But McKenna wasn't interested in hookups, she wanted something or someone that she could rely on. Nearing the end of her sophomore year, the conversation neither of them were ready for happened.

~ Flashback ~

"What are we Patrick?" McKenna finally asked, sitting beside Patrick on his couch in his downtown apartment.

"Umm, were friends I guess" Patrick spoke nervously looking down at his hands.

"Friends?" McKenna breathed out. "You're joking right?" she stated, getting up from her place on the couch.

Patrick know rose from the safety and the comfort of his couch. "Kenna, we've been over this so many times, I'm not the relationship kinda of guy, god what do you want from me?" he asked, throwing his hands up.

"You" she yelled.

"And as much as I want to, we can't. It won't work," Patrick yelled the last part.

McKenna couldn't keep the tears she was holding in back any longer. " Why? Why not?" she sobbed.

He hated that he was the one making her sad. He just wanted to wrap his arms around her and hold her forever, but he was a player, and he knew what he was capable of doing. The last thing he wanted was for him to hurt her even more then he was now.

"Kenna" he breathed out, voice wavering with emotion.

He softly grabbed her arm which she quickly yanked away from his grasp.

"No, you don't get to rescue me, not anymore," she said softy, holding in another sob.

She sighed and wiped her eyes. Looking into his eyes, she could tell he was hurting too but she couldn't be the one to put him back together anymore, it would just hurt to much.

"So that's it?" she questioned him through glossy eyes.

Patrick felt like his heart was in his throat. And he couldn't believe the words that would fall from his lips.

"That's it"

~ End of Flashback ~

Patrick Sharp nudged McKenna, bringing her back from her memories. She quickly straightened herself out, attempting to make herself more presentable next to the beautiful girl still waiting for her to answer her question.

"Oh, um, I'm McKenna Toews," McKenna answered awkwardly.

"Patty, you didn't tell me Johnny had a sister," the brunette announced, gently slapping Patricks arm.

"Oh I'm sure he didn't," McKenna mumbled under her breath, but apparently Sharpie had heard her and gave her a warning glance.

"Well I'm Amanda, Patricks girlfriend," she said smiling.

The sound of hungry hockey players filled the locker room. Jonathan and guys arrived back with donuts in hand. McKenna coughed which caught the attention of her brother. He looked at her questionably before she moved her gaze back to where Amanda and Patrick were talking then back to him.

McKenna started towards the exist before Jonathan pulled her back.

"Kenna, I..."

"Why didn't you tell me?" she sighed, running both hands through her hair.

"You were having the time of you life in Europe and I just figured that he wouldn't be a problem when you got back. I'm so sorry McKenna," Jonathan explained pulling his sister into a hug.

McKenna could see a nervous Patrick talking to Amanda, looking over his shoulder to see if she was okay. They met each other's gazes for a moment. Patrick looked at her with those pleading eyes that fooled her so many times before. She quickly diverted her gaze.

"I think I'm going to head home," McKenna stated pulling away from her brother.

"Don't forget we have a game tomorrow," Jonathan explained as his broken sister made her way to her car. "Kenna, I am sorry"

McKenna turned around to face her brother.

"So am I"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi my lovely readers! Please comment and rate so I know that you are all enjoying this story, I know I am. I have so many ideas for this story and I'm so excited to share them with you! I also post this story on Tumblr, Hockey Fanfiction, and Wattpad at Kanerrboo. Thanks so much xx