Angel of Death

Discovery

The day had gone by as any other, went to work, came back home, took a shower, and decided to lie down on my bed, you know. That is until the screams began across the pasture… I’m a 19 year old young woman, what’s the strangest thing that could happen to me? Oh nothing, except maybe that my neighbor is a murderer!

I arrived home after a hectic day at work, it was 10:00pm and all I wanted to do was sleep like there was no tomorrow. I took a nice hot shower and changed for bed. I went to the back door to let Thomas in, my orange tabby, as I was just about to shut the door I could have sworn I heard screaming from across the pasture. I live in the outskirts of town. I called the police; after they had checked it out they said nothing was out there but an old abandoned house. They said it looked like it had not been lived in for years. I nodded and thanked them and scowled as they walked away as if I had wasted their time. Yeah from doing what? Huh? Eating? You damn pompous- breathe Evelynn, breath. Well friggin’ crap, they took 30 bloody minutes just to get here! “You do nothing every other damn day. Go wreck off the bloomin’ higway!” I mumble. They leave and I climb into bed, what a great stupid day! I sigh and lay awake in my bed as Thomas jumps up and plops down beside my head. “I know what I heard Thomas.” I sigh once more and drift off to sleep.

I awoke the next morning to Thomas’ incessant meowing, “Okay, okay! I’ll let you out!” I walk to the back door, I open it and as I begin to turn away I see a lone rose on my door step. Strange. I perk a brow and pick the rose up; I slip it into some water and put it in the window. I admire it and contemplate its origin. “Now where did you come from?” This week has been so friggin’ stressful! I think I’ll just have to throw a party! I smile brightly and jump in the air. I loosely brain my hair to the side and put my makeup on. I run into my room and look for some clothes to wear. Hmm. I snatch my favorite deep blue flared jeans and a tight black tube top. I complete my wardrobe with a skull and cross bones belt and my black Audios. I slip on my black bracelets and grab the phone and call James. “Hello?” He answers.

“It’s me I want to have a party tonight!” I say excitedly.

“Awesome!”

James was a very tall young man, he had black spikey looking hair, thin build with blue eyes, and he had the sweetest smile but he was wild. “So call up some people that won’t ruin my house and I’ll call some new friends of mine from here.”

“Great!” He said.

“I’ll call you back in a few.” We said our goodbyes and I call some of my friends who seemed as excited as me! I cleaned up the house as fast as I ever had in my life while I blasted my music and sang along to it. The doorbell rang and I ran to the door, okay more like jogged but still. I swung open the door and there stood James with one of the people I absolutely loath! Taryn, if looks could kill she would have exploded, that would have wiped the smile right off of her face! I greeted her with the fakest smiles ever! I step to the side, “Come in James.” Taryn steps in and heads to the living room as I pull James to the side. “You did not just bring her here, you know damn well I despise her.” I growl.

“She just jumped in the car when I was on my way, I couldn’t very well kick her out.”

“You most certainly could have, preferably while in motion. If she fucks with any of my stuff I’m going to slam her head into the gravel outside.” I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. ‘Calm down Evelynn, calm down, you’ll get your chance one day.’ They sat down on the couch as I set up a little snack bar with plenty of food, water, and liquor, whoever wanted beer would have to bring it themselves. An hour later it was time for everyone to arrive and the doorbell rang. I walked to the door, opened it, and saw at least fifteen people, goodness, what have I gotten myself into? I turned up the music and we began to drink, some dance, and others chat. After a couple of hours I was getting pretty warm in the face so I stepped outside for some fresh air. One of James’ friends comes out and stood beside me. He started going off about something and touched my arm. ‘Get closer and I’ll stab you.’ “I suggest you not touch me.” I kept my gaze averted.

“Why?” I could hear the smile in his voice, like he thought I was joking. He stepped closer testing the boundaries.

“Because I don’t like to be touched.” Now he’s too close for comfort, get away from me dammit.

“Maybe I can change that.” Man, I don’t think he even had anything to drink. Wanker.

“I highly doubt it.” He pulled me close roughly and pressed his body to mine. I glare and placed my hands on his chest and shoved him off of me. I placed a hand on the knob of the door when he grabbed me from behind and threw me to the ground. I had better not have a grass stain on these pants.

“Son of a-” He pinned me down. “Get off of me!” He clasped a hand around my wrists above my head and groped at certain parts of my body, suddenly he was thrown off of me and someone began to stab him then took off with him. What the- I ran inside and switched off the music, “Someone just ran off with, uh, er, David,” I hope that is what his name was, I’d heard it once during the party.

“Evelynn what are you talking about?”

“A guy or something came and stabbed him then took off with him!” I shouted. James stood up and ran outside with me. I showed him the blood splatters from David’s multiple stab wounds. We tell the people that the party is over and they take off, thank goodness. Taryn’s gone, I’m guessing. We swiftly made our way through the pasture to the so-called abandoned house. I spotted David’s shoe at the edge of the back porch. Straining my hearing for any hint of movement, I caught muffled noises in the rusty cellar. I pointed at it while looking at James. We were about to hide when some complete moron decided to speak loudly.

“Hey! What are you guys doing out here, where did you go? Guys? James?” That stupid heifer Taryn.

“Shut the fuck up!” I whispered angrily. I ducked down with James behind the rust destroyed trash cans. Suddenly a shadow zoomed past us and tackled Taryn to the ground. She let out a shrill wail. Her horrific screams radiated through my head, I watched the shadow creature dislocate her shoulder and yank her back by her hair. The tears flowed from her eyes, she shrieked louder and louder until finally her voice was hoarse and her body weak. He broke her fingers and grabbed a knife to hack at her libs, she tried to strike him but failed as he seized her wrist and twisted it. Another shrill wail and he sliced her throat slowly with the knife. She gurgled choking on her own blood. One last faint gurgled cry and she slumped to the ground with a sickening thud. I gritted my teeth, she may have been an obnoxious, arrogant, halfwit, but she didn’t deserve to die like that. I clenched my fists tightly and James put a hand on my shoulder. Just as I closed my eyes to shake my head someone snatched me from my hiding place and dropped me to the ground. I gasped and stared at the- guy? His expression softened as he gazed at my face. “W-who are you?” I breathed.

“Merrick.” He said as a matter of factly.

“Merrick.” I whispered to myself. “Where’s David?” I say as I stood up.

“He is no more.”

“Why would you do that?” I said angrily.

“He touched you and you did not like it.”

“Have you been watching me!” At this point I was extremely creeped out. “And Taryn?”

“You did not like her.” Almost no emotion in his voice.

“So you thought murdering her was just a grand idea then huh?”

“It had to be done.”

“No, no, no it did not. If you wanted to help you could have just scared them.”

“I only know how to kill.”

“Then why am I still alive?”

“Because I haven’t gotten to you yet.” He smirked the most handsome smirk and the only thing I could see were his sharp teeth gleaming in the moon light.

“Don’t you dare touch her.” I gasped, James walked around the trash cans and stepped forward.

“James go!” I shouted.

“No he will not harm you.”

“Get the hell out of here!” I growled and just as I finished the shadow guy appeared in front of James and pierced the flesh of his leg with a dagger. James let out a exasperated cry of pain. “No, James!” I screamed in horror. “Damn you, you bastard! I’ll kill you!” I roared with hatred. Tears flowed from my eyes as I watched James slip to the ground. The shadow man instantly appeared in front of me.

“What are you?” I asked my voice shaking slightly.
He placed an arm around my waist, “I am Merrick, the Angel of Death. “ My eyes grew wide and he smirked once again, this time I was close enough to see his eyes. Eyes, eyes that shine a bright crimson, so… Tantalizing. “Close your eyes my love.” He whispered, and I do. I felt everything spin around me and stop abruptly shortly after. I opened my eyes slowly and saw myself in, I gasped, a torture chamber!

“No!” I screamed and started to run, but he clutched my arm.

“Calm down, I merely want you to watch.”

“I think I have seen enough for one night thank you!” I attempted to yank my arm from his grasp, but to no avail. His grip became tighter and he sat me down in a lone chair in the middle of the dimly lit room. I looked around, there were chains attached to the walls and hooks hang from the ceiling like a butcher shop. Fresh blood dripped from the torture devices and I winced. Those poor people. He tied me to the chair, my hands behind the back of the chair and my legs to the legs of the chair.

He leaned close to my ear and I shudder, “If you close your eyes for more than 5 seconds I WILL slaughter someone close to you, James perhaps.” I lowered my head and prepared myself for what would surely follow me for the rest of my life, which might not be long itself. Hopefully I’ll just pass out or something. He stepped out of the room and shortly after I heard screaming, vulgar profanities, pleas to be let go, and more profanities. The door bursts open and I kept my head down, I heard movement in front of me. I dared not look up as I heard the chains rattling and groaning. Merrick pulled out a cart with what I figured to have weapons on it or torture utensils. “Evelynn raise your head my darling.” My head rose slowly as I stared at a man in his late thirties.

“Why him?” The man stared at me, pleading in his eyes.

“I have my reasons that you do not need to concern yourself with.” He sneered as he grabbed a drill like object. He twirled it into the man’s stomach and the man gritted his teeth to try and keep the screams at bay, but he failed and let out a growl of pain. “Help me!”

“Are you serious? I’m tied the hell up!” I struggled as hard as I could and the shadow man is upon me quicker than I can turn my head. He smacked me across my face and nearly knocked me and the chair over. I let out a cry but keep the tears back. I scowled at him hoping daggers could fly from my eyes and pierce his face. I kept my eyes on Merrick; I don’t have to look at the man then. I heard the man scream in pain, eyes on Merrick, eyes on Merrick.

“Eyes on him Evelynn.” He grinned manically at my shocked expression and hacks at the man’s legs. The man tried to strike him but the chains held him back, the blood flowed to the floor, like small rivers. My jaw dropped open in horror, how can he do this? So much pain. How does he deserve all of this? I felt slightly faint and my head began to sway almost in a circle. I attempted to glare at Merrick.

“You do not enjoy this?” He asked.

“No I do not enjoy this! And if you wish to slaughter me as well then just do it! Do not prolong this!” I breathed heavily, close to having a panic attack. His expression softened and he slid out a pistol, I held my breath waiting for the impact of a bullet, he shoots the man in the head unremorsefully. Blood and bits of brain as well as skull fragments clung to the wall behind him. I jumped as the gun went off; he sat it down and began to untie me. I gulped and held back my tears that wanted to burst forth. He took me in his arms and carried me bridal style to a lovely bedroom full of blacks and crimsons everywhere. He sat me down on the bed gently.

“You can sleep here.”

“I don’t wish to sleep here, Merrick.”

“You WILL stay here or James will die next.” I gritted my teeth and closed my eyes. “Now get into bed.” I slid under the sheets and stared at the ceiling, thoughts swarmed my mind, one in particular, where was James? I felt a small amount of pressure upon my forehead that sent me reeling back to reality. Merrick had kissed me, like a loving partner does to their significant other. I glanced at him; his entrancing crimson eyes caught me off guard. He pulled his cloak off revealing a muscular body wearing nothing but black pants; they looked slightly torn at the ankles. He climbed into the bed beside me; he stared at me, hungry. He leaned forward and I gasped, then there was darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Number one: I realize now (I wrote this nearly 10 years ago) that my characters attitude toward police is really... sad. I've never had many bad experience with police officers myself, it's just a story. Number two I have no idea if I'm even going to spread this story out because I actually kind of like it as a short story. Have a good day!