Long Way Home

5

Bree woke up to a warm bed, and opened he eyes to see why.

Michael was curled up behind her, an arm around her waist. Ashton was in front of her, and arm draped over her. She could see Sasha and Luke curled up at the end of the bed.

She laughed to herself, wondering how they all managed to fit in the small bed, but decided to get up, wanting coffee.

The purple haired girl removed Michael's arm easily, then Ashton's, releasing his vice like grip.

Then, she stood from the bed, trying to make as little noise as possible.

When he girl made it to the kitchen, she found Calum at the counter, already making coffee.

"Cal?" She said softly, as to not startle the older boy.

Calum turned around quickly, sending her a soft smile.

"I just uhm. I wanted to thank you for your help." Bree said.

Calum sent her a genuine grin at that and opened his arms.

Bree grinned back, walking into his arms for a hug.

"I'm just glad you're okay." Calum said in the girl's ear.

Just then, there was a soft 3 knocks at the door. Bree raised an eyebrow, silently asking Calum if he was expecting anyone. When the brown haired boy shook his head, Bree strode over to the door and opened it, revealing a frowning Zoey.

"Good morning, Bree." She greeted softly.

"Good morning." Bree replied shyly.

"I was hoping that we could talk about some things today. Me and you, okay?" The doctor asked.

"U-hm, yeah of course." Bree replied, biting her lip.

"Excellent!" The older woman clapped her hands. "I'm going to prepare us breakfast in my apartment, and you can come over when you're ready!"

Bree nodded, smiling at the woman before she disappeared down the hallway. Bree shut the door and turned to see Calum staring intently at her.

"You're gonna be okay to go by yourself, right?" He asked.

Bree sighed, nodding.

"I don't think I have a choice. I'm gonna go wake up the sleeping beauties and let them know where I'm going."

Bree walked into her room to find her friends already awake, talking softly.

"Morning, Bree!" Ashton said when he noticed the younger girl in the doorway.

"Morning." She replied.

Luke patted the bed in the middle of them all and she smiled, shaking her head.

"I've got to go have breakfast with Zoey." She informed them.

"Why?" Michael asked.

Bree shrugged.

"Dunno. She wants to talk about yesterday probably."

"Do you want us to go with you?" Sasha asked.

"No, I'm okay."

"Are you sure?" Michael asked.

"Yeah."

The purple haired girl turned on her heel and walked toward the door, flashing a smile at Calum on her way out.

She walked down the hall and knocked on Zoey's door before entering her apartment. Zoey was in her kitchen, plating up some pancakes. She turned and smiled at the teen before bringing the plates to the dining room table and sitting across from her.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Bree asked nervously.

"Well, I just wanted to talk about what happened yesterday." The older woman replied. "I mean, are you okay?"

Bree gulped.

"Uhm, yeah, I'm fine. I just would like to have my therapist changed if at all possible. We didn't click."

The girl speared a small piece of pancake with her fork and put it in her mouth.

"Well, it's going to take some time, but I think that can be arranged."

Bree breathed a sigh of relief, smiling.

"Thank you. I don't mean to be a burden."

"Bree, honey, you're not a burden. But I also wanted to talk because I want you to understand that you can use your phone here to contact your family."

"Y-yeah I know." The girl fidgeted nervously.

"Okay because your family called my office trying to contact you this morning. I can't connect them to you without your permission, though."

Bree lost whatever small appetite she had.

"U-uhm, I'll call them when I'm ready, but like for right now, you don't have my permission."

"Are you sure, Bree?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay. Then if you're done with your breakfast, you're free to go. I'll work on getting you a new therapist, and let you know what happens."

"Thank you, Zoey."

Bree stood up and left the apartment, walking down the hall to her own, to find her roommates had moved the cuddle party out of her bedroom and to the couch, the TV on low.

"Scoot over." She mumbled.

Her friends made space for her and she plopped down between Ashton and Michael.

Nobody said anything. They didn't have to. Their presence was enough.