Status: Completed

Dr Watson

Chapter I

Lucifer gazed at the male making all the noise near his fireplace, all that racket just to start a fire; surely there was another way, a more quieter way. Obviously this boy had no idea how to do that. Sighing rather loudly the boy kneeling before the fireplace froze having heard the master of the house. “There another more quieter way you can do that boy?” 

Lucifer asked as politely as he could, giving his age and unknown illness to his house workers. He didn't want to seem like he was picking on this boy by asking him to be more careful when building a fire, but right now Lucifer’s brain felt like it might explode from the pressure around it.

The boy had turned to face him after he'd asked the boy to quieten down enough for Lucifer to hear himself think. Maybe boy wasn't the right for this male on his knees next to the half made fire; in fact this boy wasn't so much a boy as he was a young man, early twenties by the looks of him. Pale to some extent, tanned compared to his master who was in fact bedridden for reasons unknown to everyone living there. Lucifer’s thin lips turned down at the young males thin figure, wasn’t anyone feeding him in this house? Something Lucifer made a note to change as soon as he was strong enough to rid himself of this blasted bed and finally return to society.

Apart from his thin frame and pale skin Lucifer noticed the strange but most certainly captivating eyes the young man had. They put the clearest amethyst to shame with their purity, for his age the young man's hair rivalled Lucifer’s own, both having slight variations of silver colouring their hair. The young man's hair appeared to be more brighter than his master's, making him look more innocent in comparison to his master dull darkened grey hair.

“My apologies, I didn't mean to startle you. What’s your name?” Lucifer forced himself up from the bed so he could sit against the headboard making it easier to see the young man rather than breaking his neck trying to watch the young man that had peaked his interest.

“Raphael sir” Lucifer winced as he slowly sat up, the young man now known as Raphael rushed to his master's side to help the older gentleman sit up right. Raphael managed to fluff up a couple of pillows and place them behind the master before he fully leaned back against the hard headboard.

“Raphael?” Lucifer looked up at the young man no standing by his bed, eyes kept firmly on the ground which his hands behind his back.

“Nevermore sir, Raphael Nevermore.” Again the young man looked back to the floor, Lucifer knew that Raphael had been instructed to keep his eyes on the floor when in the presence of the master. 

“I can't help but think wonder, your name Nevermore, the same name is repeated eleven times in Edgar Allan Poe’s The Raven. It’s fascinating, truly intriguing.” Raphael looked up at Lucifer almost questioning what Lucifer was saying. “You can look up Raphael, don’t worry about the rules Philip isn’t here.”

The younger of the two nodded slightly before averting his eyes to the master’s face for a brief moment before returning his gaze to the floor. “Did you finish the fire, Raphael?”

The young silver haired male flinched, almost falling over his feet as he moved over to the fireplace. “No sir, my apologies.”

Lucifer couldn't help but chuckle to himself at the younger males actions, he hated how Philip trained the workers, the poor boy would probably die of a heart attack soon given the way he reacted to a simple question from him. “Raphael?”

The young man once again knelt before the fireplace stopped what he was doing to look over his shoulder. “Yes, sir” Lucifer rolled his eyes at the usual formal name Philip had everyone call him in this household.

“Lucifer is fine Raphael, you don't need to keep up the formalities. Could you please pass me the black book on the table near you.” The young man nodded before climbing to his feet and collecting the book for Lucifer. The older male saw the flash of recognition in those beautiful amethyst eyes as the younger male picked up the book.

Raphael quickly handed the book over to Lucifer before turning back to the fire. Lucifer reached out his left hand to stop the younger male walking away. Raphael flinched as Lucifer’s hand clasped his wrist softly. Lucifer released Raphael wrist immediately, pulling his own hand close to himself as to not offend the younger male. “My apologies. Have you read Edgar Allan Poe?”

“Yes sir- Lucifer. I apologise, force of habit.” Again Raphael looked to the floor, Lucifer laid the book on his lap slowly opening it to his favourite poem. It was that moment Lucifer remembered the connection between Raphael’s surname and his favourite poem, call it conscience if you will but he knew there was a reason this young man's name was Nevermore maybe it was fate, maybe they were destined to meet, Lucifer only wished he were younger.

“Don't worry about neglecting your duties lad, if Philip has something to say about it send him to me. Come, pull up that chair.” Lucifer motioned to the chair near the fireplace for Raphael to grab. Raphael quickly and quietly moved the chair closer to the bed. Setting himself down Raphael briefly looked over the older male sat upon the bed then advertising his eyes to the floor once again.

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, 
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.” 
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think. I have the story already written up so it's just a matter of posting a new chapter every week. Thanks for reading ^^