Status: Completed

Dr Watson

Chapter V

The next day Raphael found himself in a book store in town looking for anything that could be a good read, something that could take up his spare time, to keep him away from Dmitri at all costs. The shy charming persona had captivated Raphael at first, but something within the male just seemed to snap and he was no longer the shy being that reminded Raphael of their master Lucifer. This confident, more hands-on persona scared Raphael more than what his nightmares did.

Looking over the various books, a stray memory from the previous day flashed within Raphael’s mind when his eyes passed over Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Dmitri had read a quote from the book like Lucifer had upon his first meeting with both men. Raphael couldn’t help but wonder if there was something else, some connection between the two men other than a work relationship, Lucifer had to have mentioned him to Dimtri for apprentice to know who he was.

Shaking the thoughts from his head Raphael continued looking over the bookshelf. Reaching for a book on the shelf Raphael flinched when his hand touched that of another man who was also reaching for the same novel. Raphael looked down avoiding this person’s gaze as he went to move away from whomever he had accidentally bumped into.

“Raphael?” Hearing his name the young silver haired male turned back to meet those all to familiar but rather beautiful topaz coloured eyes. He stepped back out of fear when he realised the man standing in front of him was Dmitri Harker, Lucifer’s apprentice.

“Oh hello, Mr Harker.” The man in question briefly smiled, tilting his head to the left whilst giving Raphael a questioning look.

“You may call me Dmitri, Raphael. It’s only fair since I call you by your Christian name. I actually wanted to apologise for my actions yesterday. I was out of line and would be very appreciative if you could accept my apology.” The younger of the two-stared back at him, his eyes wide, this man was starting to confuse him.

Yesterday Dmitri acted like he was two people and now he was acting like the man he had first encountered before giving the man his name. This man right now reminded him more of Lucifer than the man he had encountered yesterday in Lucifer’s library.

“I can accept your apology but whether I can forgive you I don’t know.” Dmitri smiled and reached for the book Raphael had initially intended to look over.

“I believe you were going to look at this?” He somewhat asked as he handed the book over to Raphael.

“Y-yes thank you.” Raphael took the book, glancing down at the plan leather cover to see the author and book name engraved into the leather. Looking up, Raphael glanced around the shop curious as to where Dmitri had gone. The idea of someone disappearing from the shop in a matter of seconds seemed implausible to Raphael. Sighing Raphael made his way over to the counter so he could purchase the book. The woman standing at the counter smiled at him as she made a note what book he was buying so she could later remove it from the stock tally.

She handed the book back to him, still smiling. “This has already been paid for son, hope you enjoy it. It’s a good read.” He couldn’t believe it, had Dmitri already gave this woman money for whatever book he was buying? There was no way Dmitri could know that he would in fact buy something from this store.

All these thoughts flowed through Raphael’s mind, distracting him from his walk back to the manor. He arrived back at the manor in no time with all the thinking to keep his mind off of the busy town streets and the empty dirt roads that led to Lucifer’s manor. The young man was more excited about heading up to his room to read more than he was about returning to this place, as homely as it was, Dmitri was staying here and his relationship with Lucifer was more than a little broken right now, he hadn’t seen him since he’d announced Dmitri’s living situation days ago.

Raphael didn’t even get to the second set of stairs when heard a loud crash come from the master’s room. He looked over his shoulder to peer down the stairs hoping someone else had heard the noise so he wouldn’t have to tend to the master just now. Sighing the young man placed his book down on the stairs before making his way over to the master’s door. Knocking briefly he also called out to Lucifer. “Is everything alright in there?”

No answer came from the room unless you count another bang that could have been whoever was in there falling over. Taking a deep breath Raphael gripped the door nob slowly turning it till it clicked before swinging the open, Lucifer lay on the floor beside the fallen table surrounded by tiny pieces of shattered glass from the small flower vase Lucifer always sat on the table.

“Lucifer” Raphael gasped as he fell to the floor beside the older, fragile man.

“What happened?”

The older male opened his eyes gazing at Raphael, the corner of his lip curled up into a soft smile, his left hand coming to rest on Raphael’s pale cheek. “Its good to see you, Raphael. Can you, can you help me up please?”

“Of course, what happened?” Lucifer’s smile didn’t falter as Raphael carefully pulled Lucifer’s arm over his shoulder whilst carefully wrapping his arms around the older males thin waist.

“Nothing you need worry yourself over Raphael. Tripped over my own feet.” Lucifer explained, an obvious lie Raphael assumed, the noise that came from the room was more than just Lucifer being clumsy.

“Forgive me sir but I can’t quite grasp how so much damage could be caused from something as simple as falling over your own feet.” Lucifer stopped in his tracks to the chair near his bed to stare down at the younger man, suspicion clearly written all over his face.

“You doubt me Raphael?” Up till now Raphael had avoided looking at the older male since he’d helped him up, he was scared to look into those cold eyes, scared of what he might find hidden away in those stormy sea eyes. Finally looking at the older male, Raphael let out a breath he hadn’t realised he was holding till now, those eyes, they looked so much alike Dmitri’s. There was something there that he’d never seen before; something that intrigued him yet scared him.

“I’m sorry sir” The younger male looked back to the floor as he continued to help the older man across the room. Reaching the chair, Raphael removed his arm from the master’s waist as he lowered his shoulder the other male had been leaning on. Pulling away from the older man, Raphael was pulled to his knees; unsure where Lucifer’s burst of strength had just came from.

Using his right hand Lucifer lifted Raphael chin hoping the male might just meet his eyes. “Don’t be, I wouldn’t either.” The silver haired males eyes widened at the genuine smile Lucifer gave him right there then. “Go on read your book, send someone else to clean this mess up.”

Raphael nodded, climbing to his feet and making his way over to the door. He left the door open enough for Lucifer to be heard if he were to shout for help, heading for the stairs, Raphael quickly made his way down the stairs and into the kitchens, finding only Patricia. “Patricia could you grab the pan and brush to sweep up some glass the master has broken up in his room?”

The old women stared at him, mouth wide open as she slowly caught up with what he’d just said. “Alright son, I’ll get on it. Enjoy the rest of your day off.” She smiled showing her crooked teeth. Raphael nodded more to himself than he did to Patricia, leaving the kitchens Raphael took the stairs two at a time till he reached the master’s room.

Pushing the door open enough for the other man to see him. “Patricia will be up soon.” Lucifer smiled and nodded.

“Thank you Raphael. Enjoy the rest of your day.” Raphael nodded, ducking his head back out of the room so he could retrieve his book from the steps. It was only then that he noticed he’d never told Lucifer about his new book so how could he know? Letting his curiosity get the better of him, he peered round Lucifer’s door again.

“Excuse me Lucifer, but how did you know I had a book to read?” The darker haired male looked as if his mother had caught him stealing cookies from the cookie jar and saying it wasn’t them.

“Dmitri told me that he’d run into you down at the book store, I assumed you must have bought a book, sorry if I assumed wrong.” Raphael shook his head not really sure if he should believe the older man or not, something didn't seem right, Raphael felt more or less hurt with the idea that Lucifer maybe lying to him.

Accepting Lucifer’s answer Raphael was about to reply when Patricia burst in smiling. “I heard you knocked some glass over sir, oh Raphael son I thought you’d gone up stairs.”

“I’m going now Patricia.” He nodded at the other man as he slipped out of the room, finally able to return to his room and read his new book. Setting himself down on his bed, Raphael leaned against the headboard ready to read when something fell from between the lose pages. Picking it up he stared wide-eyed at the piece of card with beautiful script handwriting written upon it.

‘Turn him into stars and form a constellation in his image. His face will make the heavens so beautiful that the world will fall in love with the night and forget about the garish sun. Shakespeare.’

Raphael turned the card over to see Dmitri Harker written upon it. It suddenly made sense; Dmitri had already paid the sales women and written a note to have placed in the book before he'd even disturbed Raphael from his search.