Bad Luck Hannah

Like Scooby Doo, I'm Gonna Solve That Shit

Josh POV

Fuck, that hadn't gone anything like I'd thought it would.
She'd looked frightened out of her mind when I'd been over her, like she thought I was gonna force myself on her or hurt her in some way, and I'd never do anything like that.
I wasn't that kind of guy, I didn't need to force myself on girls to get what I wanted from them.
Hell, half the time they threw themselves at me.
She was the only one who'd ever been so adamantly against me.
Like, seriously?
I was a nice piece of ass, what gives?
This shouldn't be so hard.
I rubbed my jaw unhappily, feeling stubble growing there where I hadn't shaved the past couple days, feeling lazy and honestly kind of down, even more visible by the hoodie I think I'd been wearing for the past three days and I was pretty sure I smelled like moth balls.
I think Ricky called it my moping hoodie.
And you know what else? I hated mothballs, I hated how they smelled, what they looked like --- everything about them. Unfortunately, Chris insisted on putting them all over the house to help with the bug population my uncle had let grow in all the houses nooks and crannies, so if any of your clothes landed in a corner, good fucking luck getting that smell off them.
Fuck you, inventor of mothballs.
I was trying to think of anything and everything but Hannah, and now I'd resorted to mothballs.
Just. Fucking. Great.
Thanks, Hannah, thanks so much.
I slouched down even more on the uncomfortable round stool they claimed to be a chair for these stupid as hell tables, with their stupid, white scarred surfaces and their stupid squeaky noises and ----.
"You can seriously stop looking like you're getting ready to break the table," I heard Ricky sigh at me from across the weird-ass rectangular tables they had set up in the cafeteria. "It doesn't do a damn thing for your face."
"Screw you, man," I mumbled, glaring at him.
I felt really bad about Friday.
And I never felt bad about shit.
This was ridiculous.
I wanted to make it up to her, somehow, but I didn't know what I could do that would make it better, or how I could help her, and I'd been purposefully avoiding her for the past week because of it.
I didnt want to do anything right now that would make it so bad she would have absolutely nothing else to do with me.
It pissed me off even more I couldnt stop thinking about it.
Chris had bugged me continuously trying to figure out what I'd done to fuck up so bad, but I kept blowing him off, and I was pretty sure he was pissed at me for freaking Hannah out so much because the vein in his forehead began to pulse every time the subject was brought up and he sent me his most irritated expression.
Why he cared I wasn't sure, he didn't know her anymore then I did, the asshole.
Fuck, no one knew her.
She was a mystery.
But like Scooby Doo, I was gonna solve that shit.
No matter how long it took.
"Yo, Balz, snap out of it." Someone was suddenly snapping their fingers in front of my face, and I blinked, turning my attention to Ricky where he sat across from me, Jessica almost in his lap she was so clingy; god, she was so annoying, too.
"What?" I asked, frowning at the pair of them; they made me want to go blind.
"I asked if you've made any headway with that girl yet?"
"What girl?" Jessica asked curiously, but I ignored her like I usually did; we'd agreed none of the girls were to know anything about the bet, that girl code thing or whatever where they all helped each other out would get in the way of my conquest.
So they were permanently in the dark.
"I don't wanna talk about it," I grunted, looking down at the lunchroom table. I could feel Chris glaring at me from the end of the table, and he really needed to get the fuck over himself, he wasn't perfect either.
He just needed to eat his lunch and shut up.
The lunch here was a lot better then at my old school, I'd give them that at least, but that was also because this place was supposed to be "classier" or whatever; I knew a lot of the preppy ass students looked down on a lot of us transfers, as if we'd chosen to come to their uppity as fuck school with its snarky teachers and nice drinking fountains. The fucking place looked like something out of Grease anyway.
But this place was incredibly crowded, and if it wasnt for Ryan and Ricky getting here early thanks to a close class, we'd never get a table to ourselves; I think we scared some of the other students off, but it wasnt like we were THAT scary.
And why didnt Hannah ever eat lunch here? What did she know that we didnt? Did they put fucking formaldehyde in the food? Behavioral drugs?
God forbid, vitamins!?
God, why had we come here?
"I told you you couldn't," Ryan chuckled, drawing me back into the conversation as he tossed a french fry in his mouth. "She's too hardcore for you."
"Who?" Jessica pressed, her brows furrowing in irritation.
"She's not too hardcore she's just... Different." I frowned. "Really different. She's not like any other girl I've ever met. She doesn't respond like one normally would."
"The quiet one?" Devin asked after a moment, blinking. He'd just sat down a few seconds ago, so he was kind of out of the loop. "With the pretty hair?"
"Yeah."
"I overheard her brother earlier today bitching at her over a bad grade he got," he frowned. "He made it sound like it was her fault."
"Jasons an asshole," I shook my head. "He's mean to her."
"Oh, so are you gonna be her knight in shining armor?" Ryan asked me in amusement, scooting over a little more so Kylie could sit down with her lunch beside Devin. "How's that worked out for you so far?"
"I got to walk her home that one time."
"Yeah. Once. And then you hung out with her and fucked up."
I glared at him.
"She'll come around again," I muttered, knowing she would be in the library right now. "She does like me, otherwise she wouldn't have let me hang around with her so much without punching me in the balls."
Chris gave a pained sigh, rubbing the bridge of his nose as if being with us all gave him a major headache; he rubbed too much he'd smear his fucking eyebrows everywhere and really look eccentric. "Why don't you just leave her alone?"
"Because." I muttered, stubbornly refusing to elaborate anymore. The guys all let the conversation drop after a minute, though Jessica looked like she was about to foam at the mouth she wanted to know what we were talking about so bad.
Man, I probably should've told Ricky before he started dating her that I'd already slept with her when she'd first moved to town, but I hadn't wanted to bust his bubble, none of us had, so we'd never mentioned what an easy conquest she'd been.
And I obviously hadn't been the first guy there, either.
I dropped my chin into my hand, glancing up at the flickering fluorescent lights that all schools seemed to have.
Why wouldnt I leave her alone?
Because now that she really didn't want me, I wanted her.
Badly, if I wanted to be honest about it to myself.
I wanted to prove to Ryan that I could get whoever the fuck I wanted no matter the challenge.
I'd slept with Rickys girlfriend, I'd slept with any girl I'd wanted at our old school, I could probably sleep with some of the teachers here if I really put the effort forth.
I could have whoever the fuck I wanted.
And I was going to have Hannah, dammit.
Somehow.