Bad Luck Hannah

Is Your Brother Home?

I hugged my mom when she stepped through the door, I had never been so happy to see her, and I knew she was surprised, because she hugged me back, looking at my dad with raised brows.
"We missed you too, honey," she chuckled, pressing a kiss into my freshly washed hair.
Yesterday had been rough, and now it was Saturday, and I was so happy they would be back and it would tame Jason down.
He had come home late last night but hadn't bothered me, which was an immense plus.
Maybe Chris had scared him off a little bit.
I'd just stepped out of the shower when my parents had gotten here, so I wasn’t wearing makeup, and my hair was only half dried. I was wearing one of my favorite t shirts, a red Sleeping with Sirens T that had honestly seen better days at this point, and my black sweat pants even had holes in them I'd had them so long.
"I.... I missed you guys," I said after a moment, following them through the living room and into the kitchen where they started to set their bags on the table, looking tired.
They exchanged another look, and I hoped I wasn’t pushing it or anything, but I really had missed them.
"Did something happen while we were away?" Dad asked me, looking concerned behind his glasses, and I shook my head hastily.
no, not that they needed to know about, anyway.
"Where's Jason?" Mom asked, pulling her curly red hair up into a pony tail.
I shrugged; I had no idea where he was.
​she only wanted to know where he was so she wouldn't have to deal with him either.​​
Dad sighed, opening the fridge and grabbing the Orange Juice out, pouring himself a glass of it quickly. "I wish he'd stay at home more. Was there anyone here to watch after you?"
I nodded; I didn’t want them to worry.
"Well, how was school? Meet anyone new?" Mom asked. "Any of the new kids friendly?"
I shrugged again, sitting down at the table with them.
I didnt really consider Chris or any of his guys friends, and especially not Josh.
I had come to the conclusion he must hate me.
I messed everything up.
Why was my luck so bad?
Mom gave me a smile, reaching across the table to squeeze my hand, and I knew she was kind of disappointed. She'd probably dreamed about having a girl who she could take shopping and talk boys with, help get ready for dances and do all the fun things girls and their mothers were supposed to do.
And instead she got me, who had a hard time talking to them, let alone boys.
Dad stood with a grouchy expression as there was a knock on the front door, probably some delivery considering the time of the day. I reached across the table, taking his glass and taking a sip out of it just as he opened the door.
"Yes, can I help you?" He asked whoever it was.
"Yeah, um.... is Hannah... home?"
​That voice ---!
​Orange juice spewed from my mouth as I recognized the voice , and horror ran through me.
​he wasn't.​​
​no no no.​​
Mom stared at me, her mouth falling open as I slammed the glass on the table and whipped around in horror.
No.
No no no no.
He fucking didn’t.
"Hannah..... yes. Who are you?"
"Oh, my name's Josh, sir. I'm a friend of hers from school."
Oh god kill me.
I sunk down low in my chair, knowing I had to have the most awful expression on my face, because my mom started to laugh.
​"No friends huh?" She teased me, looking amused.​​
I pressed my hands over my face in embarrassment as I heard my dad talk to Josh, and I wanted to crawl under the kitchen sink when he actually let him into our house, Josh giving some lame excuse about needing help with his schoolwork.
I slowly swiveled around in my chair, knowing my face was beyond red as Josh followed my dad to the kitchen; he even had school books under his arm to collaborate his story.
​He'd really thought this out. ​​
Mom gave him a brilliant smile as she stood to greet him, not seeming phased by his tattoos or piercings whatsoever, though Dad did give him a rather stern look over.
"I'm Sherryl," she said, and he beamed at her, offering her his hand and shaking.
"Josh, ma'am."
Mom looked even more smitten; I think the fact there was a boy in our house who wanted to see me had literally just made her day.
"This is Vincent," she turned to Dad.
Josh offered his hand again.
Kill me.
Like, stab me to death with the butter knife.
End it.
Right now.
Before this got any worse.
​Josh stepped up to the table, turning to look at me with a smile, which I merely returned with narrowed eyes.
​​​​​what did he want?
​What the hell was he doing here? What was his diabolical plan now?​​
"Well, we'll be in the den," Mom suddenly announced, gathering all of their bags up into their arms, Dad frowning down at the puddle of orange juice in the middle of the table, obviously wondering what had happened to half his glass.
"You two kids have fun studying! I hope she can help you, sweety," she told Josh, and I stared at my parents, pleading with them with my eyes not to leave me alone with him, but they both ignored me, or rather Mom did, forcing Dad to follow her out of the room.
It was quiet a moment, then Josh let his books drop on the table, turning to look at me curiously.
"So this is what you look like at home."
Oh god!
I slapped my hands to my face in horror, suddenly remembering my hair was wet and I wasn’t wearing make up and ---.
"You look cute," Josh told me hastily when he saw my expression. "Like, really cute. I dont know which way I like you better."
"What-What are you doing here?" I burst, forcing myself to speak; I had to get him out of here as quick as possible before Jason came home.
"I came for homework help, duh."
I scowled up at him, and quickly hopped to my feet, nervous.
"I can't help you with homework," I muttered, staring down at the table. He was a year older then me, his homework was completely different.
"Well, I think you can," he told me stubbornly, nudging a book in my direction. I hesitated, then took it, opening it to the page with the piece of paper sticking out of It.
​​​
Is your brother home?

I frowned down at it, then shook my head.
"Good," Josh looked relieved. "Can I... talk to you outside? Just for a few minutes, I swear, then I'm gone."
I hesitated, but relented, nodding. We stepped out onto the porch, and he headed for the swing immediately, plopping down and patting the green-cushioned spot beside him, dropping his books at his feet.
​he cared sooo much about school alright.​​
I paused a second, then forced myself to walk after him, aware I was barefoot and our porch was rarely ever swept.
I sat down carefully as far in the corner as I could get myself, and then looked at him expectantly, wanting him to talk and leave.
Josh hesitated, then sighed, twisting around to look at me.
"Look, I'm sorry about the other day, all right?" He said after a moment, looking me straight in the eyes and refusing to look away. "I didn’t realize how much you really didn’t like people touching you, and I was a real dick about It. I feel like real shit over it, and I really hope I didn’t make you hate me or anything."
I frowned.
I didnt hate him.
I thought he hated me.
"And I just... I just hope youre not mad at me," he muttered, shrugging his shoulders, and I looked down at my clenched hands. "Will you let me make it up to you?"
And how would he do that?
I raised one brow at him in question.
"Like, I could take you out or something," he told me, looking a little hopeful that I hadnt shut him down so far. "Like to the movies, or out to eat, or ---."
"Like a date?" The words left my lips before my brain even registered what they were, and my face flamed immediately in horror.
Oh god.
​why did I just say that?
​that hadn't been how I'd meant it.​​​​
He grinned at me, looking quite a bit more confident.
"Exactly like a date, if you want to call it that."
Er.
I think I had just messed up.
I glanced nervously at the front door, then back at him, unsure.
​how do I get out of this now?​​
"Um. I dont. I dont know... my parents ---."
"I'll ask them for permission, if that's an issue," he said hastily, his hand inches away from where mine were clasped tightly.
​He was making me even more nervous.
​​​​​"Like, that's not even a big deal. In fact, I'll beg them if it comes down to that. How about tonight?"
God he was really excited and I hadnt consented to anything.
I blinked at him, his blue eyes bright and refusing to let mine break their intense gaze.
"I---I don’t ---."
"Hannah would love to go!"
We looked over at the door, both of us startled as it opened and my mom stepped out, a happy look on her face.
Oh sweet god she'd been listening.
​what all had she heard? How long had she been standing there?
​Could I kill myself with the porch swing?​​​​
"Tonight would be wonderful if you'd like to take her out," Mom added over her shoulder, using the excuse that she was going to the car to talk to us. "Just have her back by eleven."
I stared at her in horror, my mouth open but nothing coming out.
"Great!" Josh beamed happily. "I'll pick you up at six, then?"
"I ---."
"There's a good movie out at the drive in," he continued, getting to his feet and nearly falling over his own books, trying to get away from me before i had a chance to speak. "You'd like it, features some of our kind of music in it. See you at six!"
And then he literally ran to his car, leaving me sitting on the swing just staring after him, my mouth still open.
"Close your mouth, sweetheart, before he decides he doesn’t want to go on a date with you," Mom sighed, coming back on the porch and tapping me on the nose. "Now, come on, we've got to find you an outfit!"
Kill me.
Like just freaking kill me.

​​