Bad Luck Hannah

So You ARE Making Headway

Josh POV

"Uh, dude, since when do you take sophomore literature?" Ricky asked, and I glanced over as he helped me clean out my car. He was the only one actually dressed this early in the morning, and I'd recruited him in cleaning out my car. I kind of wanted it to look a little less trashy when I went to pick up Hannah.
Who had apparently left a book in my car.
"Um," I hastily jerked it out of his hand, "You know..."
I tucked it on the drivers side of the car, and Ricky raised his brows at me.
"What are you up to, Josh?"
"nothing," I shrugged, shoving a bunch of junk into the trash bags and tossing them out of the car. "I dont know what you're talking about."
"Were you with a girl last night?" He gasped, his face lighting up. "Is that why you didnt get back until after midnight? Why the hell didnt you just say so?"
I ignored him, and brushed my hands on my jeans, feeling a little more satisfied over the inside of my car.
They didnt need to know what I'd been doing last night, it was none of their business, especially when it was a personal thing for Hannah.
They could shove off.
"Hey, you can’t avoid the question," Ricky informed me, shutting the passenger door of my car and sliding across the hood to my side, earning a glare from me. "Who was it? Obviously a younger girl."
I didn’t answer again, just fiddled with my car keys.
"Josh?" Ricky poked my ribs, and I jerked automatically. I scowled at him, hating it when people did that; I was really fucking ticklish.
"What?"
"Who was It, huh? I thought you were focused on Hannah right now. Did you give up?"
"No, just--- will you fucking stop poking me, dude? Look, I gotta go."
"Go?" Ricky frowned at me. "It's like seven twenty."
"Yeah, I know, I gotta go," I grunted, shoving him off the hood of my car. "I got some things to do."
"Does this mean I gotta ride with Chris or Devin?"
"Yeah," I grunted, throwing my backpack into my backseat. "See you at school."
Ricky frowned at me curiously as I hastily started my car, fumbling Hannah's lit book out of the crevice between the seat and the door and throwing it onto the passenger side as I backed out.
They'd been badgering me all morning trying to find out what I was up too, but it really wasn’t any of their business, and I wasn’t about to tell.
So there.
It took me a few minutes to get to her house, and she was almost out the door as soon as I pulled up, hastily rushing across the gravel and getting into the car.
"You miss me that much?" I joked at her as she settled, looking relieved when she noticed her Lit book, though she rolled her eyes at my comment.
I felt insanely pleased she'd let me kiss her last night, multiple times at that. That meant she couldn’t hate me, right? Especially since she'd kissed me back once she'd figured out what she was doing.
Fast learner, that one.
I chuckled, and backed out of her driveway before turning toward school. She looked pretty today, and not like she'd been crying all morning either. Her makeup looked good, and she'd done a better job of covering her bruises up, one straight part of her hair pulled down right there to mask it some more.
I liked her band shirt.
She had good taste.
We pulled up in the school lot, and I easily found a parking spot in the back by the football field, glad that I'd found a spot at all; this place filled up quick, even this early in the morning.
I turned the car off, fiddling with the keys a moment, and then twisted around to look at her, my seatbelt coming off easily.
"So," she glanced at me nervously as I spoke, "we got some time to kill, don’t we? Like thirty minutes before the bell even thinks about ringing."
She just frowned.
I'd kissed her last night because I hadn't wanted her to think about her brother anymore, or how much she probably didn’t want to be home. It had really worked out in my favor, but I wasn’t sure if she had only kissed me back because she'd been out of her mind with stress yesterday and if she would want to do it again.
But hey, I was making some headway, right?
Ryan could kiss my ass.
"So?"
"So," I casually brushed her hair behind her ear, seeing her cheeks tinge red immediately. "I was thinking... we could... continue where we left off last night?"
There it was, the intense flush.
"In the p-parking l-lot?" She stammered, clenching her books to her chest.
"It's early, no one's even around," I almost wanted to roll my eyes. "And practice makes perfect, right?"
Her brows furrowed in response, and then she looked down.
Right.
So this could go two ways.
I know she wasn’t going to make the first move, so I would have too. But when I did, she would either punch me or kiss me back.
She was always fifty-fifty.
Well, fuck it, I'm going in, I thought, and let my fingers brush her chin as I turned her face, kissing her quickly before she had a chance to hit me with her books.
She hesitated, as if unsure, and then her lips cautiously moved against mine.
There's a good girl, I thought, grinning slightly. I pulled her close to me, wishing we could just crawl into the backseat and make it a lot easier, and that we didn’t even have to go to school.
I could kiss her all day.
In fact, if she was up for it, we could just skip school and makeout the entire day, because I was totally down for that.
And damn, she was getting really good.
I chuckled, tugging on her lip lightly with my teeth, glad I'd parked in the very back of the lot by the brick wall; it helped to give us some privacy.
And I was also glad I'd remembered to brush my teeth this morning, despite how quick it had been.
"J-Josh," Hannah suddenly pulled back, looking flushed. "I, I need to, to ---."
"Get inside early?" I brushed at her hair again as she nodded.
"Ugh, fine, let's go," I frowned. "Though honestly I just kind of want to sit here and makeout with you all day. We could just skip and go do that?"
She rolled her eyes as she leaned away.
Well, damn, at least I'd offered.
I shuffled out with her, quickly catching up to her quick pace as we started out of the parking lot and across campus towards the back of the library. The school was getting a little busier now, and I could see Chris and Devins cars turning into the lot just as I made it around the corner with Hannah.
"Do you wanna come over tonight?" I burst, my voice coming out as nervous as I felt as I stopped by the back door. "I mean, um, yeah."
"You... want me to come over?" She blinked up at me in surprise.
"Yeah... if you want. I mean, the other guys will be there, but," I shrugged, my hands dipping into the pockets of my Redhills hoody. "It would be nice to... hang out some, yknow? Not a date, just as... friends."
For now, at least.
Hannah hesitated, and she looked down at her books, picking at an errant page for a few seoncds before shrugging.
"Sure, why not? I'll ---."
"Meet you here," I said quickly. "I mean, I'll meet you out here, that Is. And cool. Yeah. Um. So, I'll see you later?"
Why the fuck was I suddenly nervous like I'd never asked a girl over before? Jesus.
Hannah smiled slightly, as if she was getting amused, and then nodded, starting to push open the back door to the library.
But not so fast!
"Hannah?"
She glanced back at me, and I took advantage, kissing her intensely one last time because I just couldn’t seem to help myself.
Her lipgloss tasted good, too.
Like fruit punch or something.
I grinned at her as I stepped back, and gave a half-wave as I turned, quickly getting around the edge of the building as the bell rang, nearly knocking into my friends as they started around the back, Ricky puffing on a cigarrette.
We all kind of just looked at each other.
"Uh, where have you been?" Devin asked me, for once without his woman. "You left early."
"I had... to get a book from the library," I said lamely, searching for the quickest excuse I could come up with.
"Oh yeah, where is it?" Ricky grinned at me, and I looked down at my empty arms.
"In my... backpack."
"Right. You were with Hannah, weren't you?" Ricky's face was about to split in two from his grin, and I glared at him. "You fucking were! Were you out with her all last night, too?"
I could feel Chris eyes boring holes into my skull.
"No."
"You were," Ryan gasped, and I gritted my teeth; why was I such a shitty liar? "DId you sleep with her!?"
"No, jesus, can you guys fucking drop it?" I grunted, whirling away from them. "It's not fucking important."
"Ahuh. So you're making headway with her, huh?" Ricky nudged my shoulder as we all started for the front door.
"No." I scowled at him, and then shuffled slightly. "But she is coming over after school."