The Special One

Trois (twa)

"Mum, this is Tom Sykes. Tom, this is mum. Or Carol," Oli introduced happily. Carol gripped the towel she was holding and slowly turned around, her eyes wide.

"What's wrong, mum?" Oli asked, concern in his voice. Carol just stared at me, her knuckles turning white.

"U-Um, should I go?" I asked her, but when I didn't get an answer, I turned to Oli. He just shrugged in confusion.

"Then I'll just-"

"Let's go up to my room with the mates," Oli interrupted me. I nodded, and he started down the hall. I took another glance at Carol.

"T-Tom?" She whispered.

"U-Uh... Yeah?" I asked timidly. Did I scare her? Freak her out?

"Thomas Jordan Sykes, 16?" She asked softly. I nodded at her words, getting a little crept out. Tears came to her eyes, and she pulled my into a tight hug. I awkwardly hugged back as she started actually crying. Oli came up, but stopped when he saw us hugging.

"Help me," I mouthed, hoping he would understand.

"Mum? Mum what's wrong?" Oli asked again. She pulled from the hug, and stepped away. She wiped her tears on the towel.

"Hey Oli, what's wrong with Carol?" An old guy asked. Not old. Late 40s maybe. He came in the kitchen and stopped when he saw me.

"T-Thomas Jordan Sykes!" She stuttered out. The guy stared at me like I was a weirdo, like I wasn't real.

"Can you two stop freaking the fuck out?!" Oli snapped, hugging me.

"I think I should just go," I whispered to Oli.

"Thomas Jordan Sykes you're staying here!" Carol demanded.

"Mum!" Oli shouted.

"Oli, that's your little brother, Thomas Sykes," His dad said. Shock quickly set in, and we looked at each other with wide eyes. We almost kissed, and we're brothers?!

"He's my brother?!" Oli yelled.

"Yes, full brother, actually. Not some half-brother. We had to put him up for adoption when he was four because we were almost all starving..." Carol- mum- trailed off.

"He's been getting beat for years because we almost starved?!" Oli yelled louder. "He's been having to deal with all that shit because you fucks wouldn't pick up an extra job or something?! Really?! You just gave up your son that easy?!"

"Oliver that's not-" His mum began.

"Shut the fuck up!" He shouted, then grabbed my hand and pulled me upstairs.

"Oli, are you okay?" Vegan asked as soon as we went in his bedroom. It smelled like him. It was nice and I wouldn't mind being in here more- no. He's my brother.

"He's my fucking brother! They put him up for adoption when he was four!" I glanced around awkwardly at the shocked faces.

"We'll leave you two to sort this all out," Jordan said, taking the lead. He left with the other three. I plopped on Oli's bed and looked around as he stayed standing. There was posters on the wall, clothes all over the floor, a TV, a stereo, and a whole case of CDs.

"I like your room," I said, trying to make it less weird.

"How are you so calm about this? You've been getting beat!" He exclaimed.

"They put me up for adoption, and I couldn't even match a face up with them before. Or remember their names. I've been used to getting beat almost my whole life. What does it matter if they're my parents? I've never actually talked to them. So I don't care," I explained.

"Tom, are you not seeing what this means?!"

"No."

"They can gain custody of you! We can take pictures of bruises on your body and take them to court! And you can live here!" I loved the thought of being closer to Oli, but taking pictures of my body....

"It's okay. We can do the ones on your arms and legs. I know that's why you wear long sleeve shirts, even on hot days. Or a sweater or something," He calmed me, noticing my doubtful look. I nodded.

I would get to be closer to Oli if this worked, so I would take pictures of my arms and legs for that.