Status: Been working through editing but still active!

Baby Blues

Katey/Darren

Friday

7:00am

“So, are you meeting Darren today?” I looked up from my bowl of cereal, which had become soggy. I poked the spoon around in the bowl, “Well yeah”, I replied, glancing up at Anna who had a smile on her face.

“Why don’t you have a shower”, Anna’s mother suggested. “You don’t look well”.

I nodded my head; I really didn’t feel well at all. I could have just gone back to sleep if Anna allowed it. She was like her parents in a strange way. Anna was never late for school, and her grades never “slipped” like mine seemed to do. I slumped out of the wooden dining chair, my feet ached. I was only five months pregnant, but my body just despised it. I felt as though I was aging rapidly with every week that passed by. I opened the laundry cupboard and placed a towel over my shoulder, I felt awful

7:50am

The hot water splashed on my body, making me shudder. My thoughts drove towards Darren, which made me smile. I really did like Darren, even though his parents were Christian. Now, I didn’t hate them because of their religion. I hated them because of how conceited they were. They seemed to think that their beliefs made them better than anyone else around them. It was weird because Darren was the complete opposite. He had a warm heart and a “laid-back” attitude, I really did admire that. I often wondered when I would tell Darren the truth about my child, but I was unsure. Sure, Anna took the news well, however this would change his future. Hell, it could even damage his future and his relationship with his parents. I knew his parents would disagree with the pregnancy, it just wasn’t a part of their “standard beliefs” I scrunched my nose up; I really didn’t like those people.

I turned the water off, and stepped out of the shower. I fumbled around for my towel as my eyes were closed. Whatever conditioner Anna had, it burned like a mother fucker.

“We are gonna’ be so late”, I heard Anna chime from outside the bathroom door, making me shake my head. That woman wouldn’t know the definition of late even if it hit her in the face; Anna had never been late in her life.

8:30am

The school gates seemed like the entrance to hell. Anna was skipping around me like a mad woman, she was way too happy for a Friday morning. I grimaced as I seen Kelly approaching me. Her name is Kelly Hart but she doesn’t have a heart, nor did she have human blood. I felt as though she was a monster from some alien planet here to wreck the Earth around her. Maybe I play too many video games. I scrunched my nose up as she waltzed over to me, with that same cold glimmer in her eyes. I had never understood why she hated me. I think it was just the “social ladder” getting involved. I had never been popular; my only true friend was Anna.

“What are you doing you pregnant bitch?” Kelly spat. “If I found out that it is Blakes, I’m gonna’ smash you”, I rolled my eyes. Ah, here was another rumor to wreck my life. Apparently, I was pregnant to Blake Graham, my ex boyfriend. He was now dating Kelly, and I believe it was her that started the whole rumor. Blake and I had slept together a month prior, but I already knew I was pregnant. There was no way in hell my baby was his. Kelly was still staring at me as she pushed me to the ground. I felt her fists collide with my face, she just wouldn’t stop. I felt my body go numb as the pain swept over me. I closed my eyes and waited for it to be over. I may have been a tough soul, but I hadn’t hurt anyone in my entire life. Well physically anyway, that just wasn’t me. I opened my eyes, and wiped my mouth. I stared at the blood on my hand, Fuck I hated this bitch… I glanced over at Anna; her mouth was wide in shock.

“Are you alright?”

“Fuck this”, I walked away, leaving Anna standing there.

“Meet me at my place this afternoon”.

I waved my hand in agreement. Even though Kelly had just had her way with me on the concrete pavement, Anna still wanted to attend school. I laughed to myself, what a joke. I looked up to see Darren standing in front of me.

“I seen what happened”, he assured.

“Just drop it”.

“Wanna’ walk?” Darren smiled, I nodded my head. All I needed right now was a friend, and someone to talk to.

“Kelly’s a mole”, I forced a smile. “I wouldn’t even worry about her”.

“Yeah, but you’re pregnant, and you can’t go through shit like that”, Darren had a strong point. I glanced down at the sidewalk, “Remember when we used to smoke weed behind the trees?”

“At Hyacinth Park?”, Darren answered.

“Yeah, and then that security guard came along. We thought we were so busted, but he just wanted a cone”, I laughed. “I wanna’ go back to those days ya’ know? When shit was easy”.

“Things aren’t easy Katey”, Darren assured, “That’s the way life is”. I walked across the road and sat on a park bench, Darren sat beside me.

“You know the baby isn’t Blakes?” I asked, fumbling with the ring on my finger.

“But he is your ex?’ Darren looked confused, I bit my lip.

“I’m five months pregnant”, I assured. “And who did I sleep with five months ago?” I managed to force a smile. It felt like silence had fallen upon the conversation, and my stomach felt queasy. I knew it wasn’t because I was pregnant. No, it was because this moment could change everything and in all honesty, I didn’t have the slightest idea towards the outcome. I rummaged in my bag, finding a packet of tissues. I held my phone up in front of my face, and wiped the blood around my lip. I knew my eye would be swollen and bruised tomorrow. I shuddered at my reflection, I was an absolute mess

“Is it mine?” Darren asked, breaking my train of thought. I nodded my head, and waited for his reply. There was nothing

“My parents are gonna’ hate us”, he laughed. “I kind of already knew”.

“How?”

“I’ve heard things”, Darren smiled.

“Oh, so you’ve heard things?” I laughed. “And what are these ‘things’?”

“Well, you’re five months along and we got together like six months ago”, Darren assured, placing his arm around me. “It’s alright, I’m here for you okay”, Darren made me feel amazing. Here I was dreading this moment and now it seems like it was over within a matter of minutes. I felt as though a weight had been lifted from my shoulders, I finally felt free… this was a great feeling.

Darren

6:00pm

“I want you out!” my mother began throwing my belongings out of my room.

Well, I knew this would happen. Katy was an awesome person, she always had been. She was one of those girls who always kept to herself. I had known her in primary school, but we were just kids. Now we were going to be parents; fuck, life changes. I had also lost my virginity to Katey, and that just added to my mother’s rage. She never liked Katey, but who am I kidding, she barely liked me, her own son.

“Where do I go?”

“I don’t care”, I glanced over to see my father had now joined the conversation. “Sex is for marriage, and a child is to be had between two adults, not children”.

“I’m not a child”, I defended.

“You’re only sixteen”, my mother began crying, as dad held her in his arms.

“Fuck this, I’m out”, I walked out of my room, and out of the front door. I had just had enough of trying to reason with the pair of them. This was my life, not theirs.

7:30pm

I plucked a stick from the withered tree and threw it against Katey’s bedroom window. I wasn’t very smart in my choice of weaponry, but it had to do, right? I sighed as there was no response. I picked up a rock, and threw it against the window. It made a rather large noise; I grimaced at the small crack in the top corner of the window.

“Are you going around breaking windows now?” I heard Katey laugh from behind the curtain. “And how was a stick ever going to get my attention?” Oh fuck, she had seen that. “Come on in”, she chimed, opening the window.

“My parents booted me”, I shrugged, climbing into Katey's bedroom window. I think we had done this one too many times. She was always the one person I went to with my problems. Lately, we had just "grown apart" and I didn't have anyone to talk anymore. So this was a nice change, for once.

“Fuck”, she answered. “Why would they do that?”

“I told them about you, and they spun out”, I sat down beside Katey, who was now sprawled out on her bed.

“Darren, do you like me?” Katey maintained eye contact with the ceiling; I couldn’t look at her either. It wasn’t something we had ever talked about, we were just friends and that was it. But now, I think differently about Katey and our relationship. Trust me; I still wasn’t sure how I felt though. I looked up, and took a deep breath, “Of course I do”.

“But do you 'like like' me?” Katey giggled, sitting back up.

“Have you been drinking?” this woman was out of her mind, she was way too happy.

“No, I just wanted to know”, Katey smiled, as she leant towards me. “Because I really like you Darren”, I felt her lips collide with mine. Her tongue begged for entrance against my lip, as she pushed me down on the bed. Oh fuck, I was making out with Katey Mason. The grin didn’t come off her face when she pulled away, I smiled in response.

“That was my first kiss”, I stammered.

“You’re kidding”, she laughed. “But we had sex”.

“Oh shut up”, I laughed, Katey ushered me under the blankets. She rolled over, as I cuddled her from behind. I must admit, her hair was bloody annoying but she was the most beautiful being on this planet. So fucking beautiful

“Goodnight”, she whispered. I leant down and kissed her on the shoulder, how the fuck did this moment end up so perfect? What had happened today? I glanced over to see Katey had already fallen asleep, no one falls asleep that quick do they? “Wanna’ be my girlfriend?” I kind of hoped she was asleep at that point, maybe she didn't hear me. I had never been in a relationship before, nor had I been in love. I just didn’t know how to “act”, I suppose. The other problem was, well, ,my parents. They always managed to stand in the way of any opportunity I had in life.

“I’m having your baby”, I heard Katey reply. “I can’t get rid of you”, I chuckled to myself. “So, yes”.

“Thanks sweetie”, I smiled.
Katey and Anna had talked about this before. I remember when we all used to hang out together. The conversation was always about boys, and makeup. There was no in-between. Katey hated pet names, but I thought I would tease.

“I hate pet names, that’s the first rule”, Katey replied, throwing a stuffed teddy at me. I chuckled as I held her closer to my body.

"I know", I smiled, closing my eyes.