Status: Been working through editing but still active!

Baby Blues

Katey

Saturday

12:00pm

“We have to pick an experiment and perform it next Wednesday”, Darren concluded, resting his head against my back. I stared intently at the blank web page for inspiration, which didn’t arrive at all. I literally hated this subject, and Darren was the only thing that made it bearable. I looked back at Darren; he had this dopey grin on his face. I felt comfortable with his arms around me, it just felt right… “Yeah, but this shit sucks”, I laughed, closing my laptop. I’m glad it was Saturday, but that also meant I had work tomorrow. I had met with Anna on Friday afternoon, and she just didn’t seem happy. I felt as though she hated me and I didn’t know why. Her attitude towards me had just turned bitter; it irritated me because I hadn’t done anything wrong. I glanced at Darren who had now made himself comfortable on the floor, what a weird kid… I stood up from my bed and laid down beside him, staring at the ceiling.

“Thanks Katey”, I turned my head to see Jesse standing at my door. My mother saw my dad on the weekends, for some odd reason. They were in a weird relationship, which I couldn’t understand. What on earth is Jesse thanking me for anyway? What had I done for him? Last time I checked, I didn’t help that kid in any way. He didn’t respect me, so I didn’t respect him, simple.

“For what?” I asked, sitting up from the floor.

“Well, for letting me date Anna”, I nearly choked; I hadn’t said anything at all.

“But I didn’t”, I defended.

“Don’t start”, Jesse forced out a laugh. “Anna said that she asked you for permission so you wouldn’t be upset, don’t start regretting it now, it’s too late”, Jesse shrugged, and walked back into his room. So that is exactly why Anna was acting strange. She had started dating Jesse, regardless of how it made me feel. Why would she lie through her teeth just for Jesse? I couldn’t believe that woman, it just shattered me. I would have been fine with it if honesty had of been included in the arrangement.

“Did you?” Darren asked, sitting beside me on the bed.

“I spoke to her but it was never mentioned”, I sighed. “Why would she lie like this, to me, of all people?”

“Don’t let it bother you, okay?” Darren turned my head towards his, and kissed me on the lips. Why did all my problems just melt away in that second? Although in the back of my head, there was a riot. I just couldn’t believe that she didn’t mention it, at all. I just felt so betrayed, and my mind was an absolute mess at that point. I forced a smile towards Darren, I couldn’t vent to him. It didn’t concern him, and I didn’t want him to worry about my own personal problems. I just had to deal with it… I heard my phone chime on my bedside table, speaking of the devil… it had to be Anna.

work at 8 2morrow, my dad will pick u up

im not going, how dare you go behind my back, leave me alone

I threw my phone back on the bed, “Who was it?” Darren asked.

“Just Anna …that bitch”, I laughed, falling onto Darren. At least I still had someone that cared about me.

7:30pm

“Ugh I have a doctor’s appointment on Monday”, I groaned, staring at the letter.

“What for?” Darren asked.

“Just a scan, to find out what our little ‘it’ is”, I laughed. It excited me to know that on Monday I would find out what I was having, instead of it just being a mystery. I hadn’t spoken to Anna since she rung me and we had an explosive argument. Apparently, I’m the stuck up bitch and she never wants to see my face again. It made me laugh, how she could just disown her best friend of seven years for a guy? Especially when that guy was my brother, it just annoyed the shit out of me. I couldn’t twist my head towards the thought of it, I just didn’t understand. She had to be absolutely mental to make such a decision.

“That’s awesome”, Darren chimed, with a smile on his face.

“I can’t wait”, I squealed, hugging Darren.

I literally hadn’t moved from my room all day. I had just been chilling out with Darren, like those good old times. I enjoyed his company, because of the person he was. I always did enjoy his company, even when we were little kids. I think having that “history” helped our relationship, it just meant we were close. We had this unique bond between us which made our relationship special. I guess that “connection” is often lost in the years, but ours wasn’t. It never had been, ever

“I still can’t get over Anna”, I stared at my phone, scrolling through all those hateful messages between us.

“But you have me”, Darren smirked, walking up to me and wrapping his arms around me. I stared into his piercing green eyes, and smiled. “I know”, Darren kissed me on the forehead, as I rested my head on his shoulder. It really did mean a lot to me to be with Darren. It took my mind off all the current pain in my life, I no longer felt like a lost adventurer. I felt as though I had a map, and my path was clear, my future was clear and it was all because of Darren. I actually looked forward to us being a family in a few months time; I just knew it would be something special. I smiled at that single thought. I walked out of my bedroom, following Darren to the living room. Anna was on the couch, making out with a familiar face, my brother… I nearly threw up in my mouth. Oh wait, I did. I scrunched my nose up, “What the fuck are you two doing?” Anna looked up; her makeup was smeared across her face. I knew she didn’t look beautiful all the time. Neither did I actually. At the moment, I had a purple bruise under my eye which looked far from attractive. Luckily, Darren didn’t mind. Well, I hope he didn’t.

“Fuck off”, Anna spat, fixing her shirt. I had never witnessed such a bitter Anna. She was also such a calm and “in control” sort of person. I just felt so intimidated by her, and I shouldn’t have felt that way towards her.

“Don’t treat me like this, over that dickhead”, I yelled in defense, pointing to Jesse who had a smile on his face. Fuck, I hated that smile. He had this arrogant smile which drove me crazy. It made me feel as though he didn’t care about what anyone else had to say. Jesse seemed to do whatever he wanted regardless of the consequences.

“At least I treat her like she deserves”, Jesse spoke; I glared at him. I had never treated Anna badly, and I could say that with a straight face. I always looked after her feelings, even when mine were hurt.

“That’s bullshit”, I stormed out of the room, and into the bathroom. I needed a shower, and I needed to sleep. I just wanted this day to be over. I stared at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. Darren appeared at the doorway, startling me from my own thoughts. “Hey”, I whispered.

“I’m sorry”, it wasn’t his fault.

“Don’t be”, I assured, forcing a smile. I outstretched my arms, and felt his body against mine.

“Can I join ya’ for a shower?” Darren smirked, brushing my hair from my face.

“Of course”, I smiled. “Let’s get naked”.

“That didn’t end well the first time”, Darren chuckled, closing the bathroom door behind him.

“Oh shut up”, I laughed, taking my dress off and throwing it on the bathroom counter. I realized Darren had fallen silent. I looked over at him to see his mouth wide open. It was like this man had never seen boobs before in his life. We both knew that wasn’t the case. We may have been drunk, but my mind was sober. I still remembered that night. “You still alive buddy?” I chuckled, taking my panties off and throwing them to the side as well. I stepped into the shower, and turned the water on.

“You’re gorgeous”, Darren smiled, taking his robe off, and stepping into the shower.

Our bodies pressed against each other as the water caressed our skin. It was these moments, which I had looked forward to for my entire life. This man was everything I wanted, and so much more. I think I was falling in love with my best friend, Darrenand I kind of liked it.