Strawberry Kiss

2

Today at school flew faster than a bird fleeing the winter. Classes passed by, lunch was a blur and now Melanie walked by my side toward my house.

Even though we have made this trip numerous times, I was nervous and stiff. She talked about her boyfriend but I don't remember anything of what she said. I was busy planning my speech I was to make tonight. How do you tell your best friend you love them? How do you explain being a lesbian?

"Steph, did you hear me?! Mel's voice boomed in my left ear.

Startled and interrupted of all thoughts, I answered "huh?"

"Ugh, I cannot believe you weren't listening!" she huffed. Her arms crossed and her pace slowed.

"I'm sorry. I was thinking of...uh....someone." I muttered. I was never a good at lying.

Melanie's eyes widened. "Who? Brad Felch?" She grabbed my arm. Brad was the boy Mel tried to hook me up with. We went on a date the previous week, but it didn't go well. His fingers were at his phone the whole time, he had body odor and he belched in my face after dinner.

"Yeah," I stuttered. Like I said, not good at lying.

Her smile widened and her teeth glowed underneath the sun. Dodged a bullet but tonight would be an even harder conversation.

Five hours passed by, another blur to me. I cannot tell you what we had for dinner, how many times Melanie mentioned her boyfriend, or even what we studied less than an hour ago.

Melanie laid stomach side down on my bed. I sat at my desk near the window. Her skirt slipped up as she put her feet in the air. The back of her thighs were now visible and I nearly licked my lips. I had to tell her now.

"Hey, Mel," I began. Her eyes stared back into mine assuring me I had her full attention. "There's something I need to say. And I want to get it all out before you say anything. And please stay for me to finish it; don't get up and leave admist the middle of my confession. Agree?"

"Steph, just tell me," her eyes rolled slightly. She hated when I made stories dramatic.

"Alright." I shuffled in my seat. My brain circling trying to think of the best way to phrase what I needed to say. "I have had a crush on a person since kindergarten."

"What, who?!" she exclaimed. I gave her a stern look reminding her not to interrupt me.

"I have been keeping a huge secret from everyone, especially you. I..like..girls," I stuttered. I must have said it in a whisper because her face was emotionless.

"Girls? Which girls?"

"All girls. I am a lesbian."

"Oh," her eyes met the ground and her feet collapsed back down on the bed. She slowly manuvered in a sitting position on the edge.

"I have had feelings stronger than a friendship toward you."

"Wow, Steph. I don't know what to say." She stood up fast and made her way to the door. I tried to reach for her but something told me to just let her go.

I fucked up. Big time.