Game Over

Barely Breathing, I Know

Andy stopped walking after a while, watching him. Did he do something wrong?
They were having such a nice, quiet moment together... Just the two of them laying there on the ground. Relaxing... Was it something he said?

"Prophet." Deviant stopped, looking over his shoulder. "Now."Andy grimaced and nodded, catching up to him and remaining quiet. The rest of the walk was dead quiet, as expected. But... Deviant was really tense. He just seemed uptight about something.

"Hey! You guys are back!" Destroyer smiled when they came in, gesturing for them to come join them and the other two around the fire. Andy sat between Deviant and Mourner, smiling awkwardly at them. "You showed Prophet around?"

Deviant nodded, making a noise of confirmation.

"And...?"

"And, what?" Deviant snapped. Destroyer frowned slightly and looked at the fire, shrugging.Mystic raised an eyebrow.
"Everything ok? You're on edge..." He adjusted his position to look at him better. "Did something happen? Did you have a run-in with-"

"No." Deviant growled through gritted teeth.

Mystic narrowed his eyes."We're just worried about you. You're never this moody unless somethings wrong, calm down." He sat back again.

There was a tense silence hanging in the air until Destroyer decided to break it, bringing up their apparent plan of attack.

Deviant got up and walked off into the camp, but Mystic kept Andy from going to follow. He shook his head."Let him cool off."
Andy sighed and rejoined the discussion.

"So, this is taking place in three days? Or two?" Mourner asked. Destroyer held up three fingers as he kept drawing in the sand.

"There." He moved back. "So- this is the camp. And that's the Church," he pointed to the two boxes on either side of the drawing. "This is us, there's F.E.A.R..." He continued to ramble on.

Andy, as opposed to the other three being heavily invested in the battle strategy, wandered off to find Deviant.

On the way to find him, he saw a girl standing by the entrance, dressed in black rags that clung to her petite body, her silky hair falling to her mid back. Her skin was painted in the black war paint, the Wild Ones star pendant attached to a chain in one hand and a mask in the other.

"Hey!" Andy called and jogged over. "Have you seen-"

"Deviant? He went to the main tent." She said softly, smiling.

Andy smiled back, nodding."Thanks. Um. How did you know?"
"I saw you trailing around behind him today." She giggled. "He's a big sweetheart, I promise. He seems like an asshole but he's great... But I never caught your name."

"A- Prophet." He corrected himself. The girl raised an eyebrow and outstretched her hand."I'm Eve. Eve Black."

Andy shook her hand and smiled bigger. "It's very nice to meet you. So what do you do here?"
"I do what everyone else does. I do what I can to survive and do my part to make sure everyone else does too." She sighed, picking a peeling piece of war paint from her arm. "But I also go out sometimes to see if I can get some information. It's against the rules but- shit, don't tell Deviant!" Eve panicked suddenly, staring at him pleadingly.

Andy shook his head."Don't worry, I won't. Just be careful, ok?" He smiled. Eve smiled in relief and kissed his cheek softly.

"I will, Prophet." she hugged him and put the mask on. Andy laughed awkwardly. "Oh- and don't worry. You're cute, but I'm not gonna get in the way of you and big D over there." She giggled in his ear and skipped off.

Andy smiled, but suddenly put the pieces together. "Wait- what's that supposed to mean?!" He shouted after her, face turning a deep shade of red.

Eve turned, winking. "We'll talk later, P." She waved and ran off into the desert. Andy sighed, rolling his eyes and going to the main tent where Eve said Deviant had gone.

"C'mon, Ashley. Get it together." Deviant was, as expected, pacing back and forth outside the main tent. "He's a human. He's a real person. Not a computer program."

Andy raised an eyebrow, creeping up behind him. "Who's Ashley?" He asked a bit too suddenly. Deviant, as a reflex, whirled around and pushed him, pinning him down, nose to nose.

A blush crept up on Deviant's cheeks delicately."Oh- oh, my apologies." He breathed and got up, holding out his hand to help him off the ground. Andy blushed furiously and took it gently, being pulled up so suddenly that he fell into his chest. Deviant took a minute to respond, tense. "You smell like smoke.." He breathed softly before awkwardly moving him off his chest.

"I'm sorry." Andy bit his lip.

"No! I didn't mean it- it's a good smell. Like, campfire smoke. It's comforting.." Deviant sighed, rubbing his eyes.

Andy nodded."Right. Um, sorry for scaring you, by the way." Andy laughed awkwardly. "So- who is Ashley?"
"Me." Deviant shrugged. "Well, my real name. In the real world."

"Your voice actor?"
"Yeah- that." Deviant nodded. Andy nodded as well and kept quiet, not bringing up the other part of what he said. Instead he looked at the sky, contemplating his current situation.He was living in a video game for who knows how long...

Deviant took the opportunity to glance at the younger boy, examining his illuminated features. Pale, perfectly structured, but his hair blocked his eyes from view. Deviant bit his lip and took a gloved hand, tucking the hair back. Andy lowered his chin and glanced at him curiously. "What?"

Deviant said nothing, gazing into the jewels that bore into him. Andy blushed delicately and gently bit the silver ring on his plump lower lip.

"Fuck it." Deviant hissed, grabbing him roughly and pressing his lips to Andy's.
Andy gasped, relaxing gradually as his hand found its way to the back of Deviant's head. He tangled his fingers in his hair and pressed closer together. They pulled away eventually, both of them wide-eyed and staring in amazement.

"Wow.." Andy breathed.
"Yeah. Wow." Deviant laughed softly, cupping his jaw.

"Deviant, c'mere!" Someone shouted suddenly, jogging over. "You- you gotta see this."

Deviant's features visibly tensed as he let go of Andy and ran off in the direction of the entrance to the camp. Andy followed.

"Shit!" Deviant hissed when he saw the girl sprawled on the ground a few feet out. "Stay here. Don't leave the camp." He said to Andy. "And that is an order!"
Andy, still, was about to start running to follow him out but was tugged back by Destroyer. Andy bit his lip, watching Mystic go around him and go with instead. Andy watched, concerned.

He watched as Deviant knelt by her, picking up the pendant beside her. "Get her to the medical tent. Now."

Mystic nodded and motioned for the stretcher to be brought out. Andy's eyes widened when he saw who the girl was.

"Eve." He breathed as he finally realized who it was.

Mourner frowned. "Eve?"

Andy stared, eyes beginning to water. "Eve!" He shouted desperately, running out to her despite the others protests. He picked her up, holding her limp body in his arms. "Eve, wake up." He whispered frantically.

"Prophet-"

"Hang in there." He whispered, carrying her to the tent, laying her down for Mystic to properly examine her. Mourner handed him a cloth to clean the blood off of his arms.

Andy looked at it curiously, suddenly realizing that Eve had been bleeding the whole time.

"Oh.." he whispered, beginning to dab up the blood. Deviant pulled him aside almost immediately, red in the face, starting to chew him out for disobeying direct orders or something...

Andy didn't listen.

The words were muffled as he had zoned out, staring at the girl he had only known for a few minutes laying unconsciously on the bed.

"Eve..."