Status: updates are gonna be once a week!!

Nearly Witches

Chapter 1

I sat at the bar alone, hunched over my drink. The upbeat feel of the club wasn’t doing anything to distract me from my thoughts, no matter how many drinks I down. I picked up my nearly empty glass, finishing it in one swift swallow. I raised my hand to signal the bartender for another. I saw him hesitate and give me a concerned look, but I returned an irritated glare at him that immediately pushed him into action, sliding a new glass over to me. I noticed that it was filled a little lower than the previous drinks, but let it pass because at least he was still serving me.

Throughout the night, girls and guys alike have come up to me, offering to buy me drinks or asking me to dance with them, but I always declined. I wasn’t here for that tonight. Though, I guess I kind of was. I only came to this sweaty bar to get my mind off of my best friend, Vic. I’ve had a crush on him for god knows how long, and it hasn’t gone anywhere, even though Vic is kind of really straight.

Even if I thought there was a tiny chance that he was even a little bit into guys, he’s already said that he loves me more like a brother than anything else, so no chance there.

So, even though I had initially come to find a nice guy to take home in order to stop thinking, I had been sitting alone at the bar for hours. I brought my glass to my lips, tilting it back and waiting for the sweet taste of peach vodka, but I soon realized that it was empty. I signaled for another one, but this time the bartender came over to me without a new drink in hand.

"I think you’ve had enough, sir," he said. I knew he was probably right, but the kid looked nervous and I knew that I could easily win him over.

"I’ll give you a ten dollar tip for each drink you give me," I slurred. I was drunk and even in the back of my mind I knew this was bad, I still have to buy groceries with this paycheck, but I didn’t care. I just needed to forget everything right now, no matter the price. The barman looked skeptical so I pulled out my wallet, showing him the many bills inside. I usually only would have brought twenty dollars total, but I knew tonight would be expensive, so I stopped by the ATM before the bar. He still looked conflicted, so I just gave him my best pleading eyes. After dragging his eyes away from the money, he caught my eye and I saw him give a little sigh before turning away to begin mixing my drink. I smiled a bit, getting out the right amount. He slid my drink to me, and I handed him the money. He smiled at me, and as I took the first sip he looked as if he were about to warn me about drinking too much, so I just gave him a warning glance and he backed off. I took a few more sips before I felt someone stand beside me. I knew they were trying to get my attention because the bar was relatively empty, and they were pressed right against my side, arm on the back of my chair.

"Not interested," I said quickly, not wanting any misconceptions or confusion. He looked at me and laughed, removing his arm from around my chair. I refused to look at him full on and continued to sip at my drink as he took the stool next to me.

"I just thought I’d try," he chuckled out, turning to face me. I still refused to turn to him but after the silence stretched on for a few seconds, I glanced over to him only to see that he was staring steadily at me. He studied me for a few moments more before opening his mouth again to speak. “What’s got you in the dumps?"

The desperation to just let go and tell someone, anyone, about all of my problems was so strong that I immediately began spilling my heart out to this stranger. Or maybe I was just drunk and my brain to mouth filter wasn’t active.

"I’m in love with my best friend," I saw him wince. “For four years, and I know I don’t have a chance with him, like at all, because even if I pretend he’s into guys, he’s said that I’m like his brother, and I’ve seen him after people say he and his brother would look good together, man. He looked about ready to puke right then and there.” I could feel myself getting worked up, my breaths were getting shorter and my eyes began to sting. “But, I’m almost one hundred percent sure he’s straight, so even if he were to get over me being like a brother, I don’t think he’d be able to get over me being a guy. Sometimes,” My breath hitched as my bottom lip began to tremble. “Sometimes, I just wish that I had a chance with him, you know? Like, even if I had to become a g-girl, I’d do it. I j-just re-ally…"

I was crying, sobbing and the man had gathered me into his arms and was rubbing my back in circles. “Do you wanna get out of here?" I stiffened at the question and he must have felt it because he quickly corrected himself. “Not like that, Kellin. Just to go outside and get some air. You need to cool off from crying and staying in here near all of this body heat isn’t a good way to do that."
Maybe it was the alcohol in my bloodstream, maybe it was how warm this guy made me feel or the soothing, consolatory circles he was rubbing into my back that altered my common sense, but I felt myself nodding to him and not even batting an eye at the fact that I hadn’t told him my name.

——

We were standing outside of the bar, the brisk November wind rushing past us. I was tucked into my coat, trying to shy away from the cold, though the man in front of me looked very comfortable and honestly made me feel like a child. He must have noticed me shivering because he ushered me into the alleyway between the club and the restaurant next to it. In my drunken state, I didn’t even consider the fact that the man might cause me any harm. The mysterious man’s voice was too warm and comforting to be evil. I was beginning to become frustrated with how redundant calling him The Mysterious Man had become, but, before I could ask his name, he began talking.

"What if I told you that I had something that you wanted?” His voice seemed to curl around me, sweeping me off my feet. “That I could make you something that Vic wanted?" He asked with a smirk set on his face. I perked up in interest, not caring that I hadn’t told him Vic’s name either.
"What do you mean?" I asked, my drunken eyes shining.

"Well, you said it yourself, didn’t you? Vic wouldn’t want you as you are, so I figure all you have to do is change yourself! And I have just the thing that’ll do it!" He reached into his jean pocket and pulled out what looked to be a pea sized pill.

"What is that?" I said shakily. My mind was running rampant with visions of drug deals gone wrong, but my curiosity kept me planted to the spot. He took my hand in his, sliding the pill into my hand before letting go.

"It’s the gateway to all of your dreams, Kellin. Take it if you want, but if not, just drop it down a drain. No harm done," the strange man said. He smiled at me one last time before dropping his gaze to my hand. I followed suit, opening my hand to see the thin “gateway" in my hand.
In the back of my mind, I knew that it was probably actually just a normal gateway drug, and I’d be back tomorrow asking for more. This man was trying to get me addicted and I knew this, but maybe it wasn’t, you know? What if it would just make Vic fall in love with me? In my far less than sober mind, the choice was easy.
I looked up to thank the strange man, but he was already gone. I shrugged, taking the pill from my hand and placing it on my tongue. As soon as it hit my tongue it dissolved and I was overcome by this feeling of euphoria. I felt like light was pouring out of every nook and crevice my body made, but just as soon as it came, it left. I wasn’t left with a feeling of sadness or longing for more though, as I thought there might be. I was just left with my previous exhaustion from drinking and crying. I sighed, figuring the man was just a drug addict and in my drunken state, believed myself. I sighed as I began to wobble my way back to my flat.

Lucky for me, I only live a block away from the club, so it didn’t take me that long to get home. I struggled with my key, trying to get it into the lock, and succeeding after a few minutes. I slammed the door shut, mindlessly locking it before I stumbled into my bedroom. I pulled off my jacket and shirt, shivering at how cold it was in my flat. I turned the portable heater next to my bed on, lying on my bed and rearranging to where it was blowing onto me.
I wiggled out of my jeans, my eyes slipping closed as I haphazardly kicked them off the side of the bed. I pulled the blankets over myself, rearranging the heater to where it blew directly on my face. Once satisfied, I snuggled deeper into my covers. I felt a slight tingling all over my body, but my eyes were already slipping shut and I was falling into a deep sleep.

——

I woke up the next morning covered in sweat.

The sun was up, but it still looked cold outside. The apartment’s heater must have kicked on sometime during the night. I groaned, using the sheet to wipe my face. I reached over to blindly hit off the heater. I had yet to open my eyes and I was tempted to go back to sleep and wake up only when it was overly cold. I had decided on the sleeping plan, until I reached up to scratch my chest, only to find that it wasn’t flat.

I froze with my hand on my chest and slowly opened my eyes. I stared at the ceiling, psyching myself up for whatever my hand was on. When I finally looked down, my eyes widened in shock and slight fear, because, where my flat chest once was, boobs lay. Very not flat. One fit into the palm of my hand and I wasn’t even the slightest bit tempted to play with them. It’s totally different when they’re your own. After staring at my elevated chest, I noticed my hands. They were a lot smaller now, a lot daintier. By this point, I was freaking out, when suddenly, a thought struck me.

"No, no, no," I whispered to myself, ignoring how much higher my voice sounded. I moved my hand quickly down to my boxers, feeling, touching and…nothing. There was nothing hanging down, and that’s when I fully realized. I sat up quickly, standing and removing my boxers, going to look at myself in the mirror, and there I was. I looked the same, kind of. My hair was a few inches longer, and my face was a bit rounder, plus the obvious changes, but I still looked like Kellin.

I began to tremble and my eyes were filling with tears, going to call someone to help me. By instinct I looked for Vic’s number, but right before pressing call, I realized I couldn’t let him see me like this. So, instead, I called Jenna, listening to it ring four times before she picked up.

"What,” she asked groggily. I glanced at my alarm clock and saw that it was barely seven in the morning. Jenna hated getting up in the morning, but I figured she’d make an exception this one time.

"J-Jenna, please come o-ver," I sobbed into the receiver. It was silent for a few seconds before she responded.

"Wait, who is this?" She sounded far more awake now. “Are you some girl Kellin brought home? What’d you do to him?"

"J-enna, it’s Kellin!" I shouted.

"Obviously it’s Kellin," she said. I let out a sigh of relief. “You wouldn’t be calling on his phone if it wasn’t him! Now what the hell did you do to him?!" She was screaming down the phone now. I knew
I wouldn’t be able to convince her over the phone, so I just played along.

"He…He brought me home last night, but now he’s in trouble, Jenna! Please, please just come over and help him?" I begged. Jenna was quiet. “Please."

"Okay, I’ll be over in ten minutes. Don’t try and leave because if you did something to him, I swear to god."

"I’ll stay here and just wait for you to get here, don’t worry. Please just hurry!"

She hung up without another word. I put my phone on the dresser and took a last look at myself in the mirror before turning to put on clothes. I was still naked, and steadily getting more and more embarrassed. I pulled a new pair of boxers out of my drawer and as I pulled them on with my trembling hands, I noticed how much more snug they were now with my hips. I sighed again, already missing my old body. I pulled on a shirt and even with my boobs making it hang a bit higher in the front, it still stopped at about the same place, just under my hips. I guess I must have gotten shorter, then. I took out a pair of jeans, pulling them up my legs. After I got snug in them, I tried to button them up, but the two sides wouldn’t reach each other. I stared at it confused, until I remembered my hips are wider now. None of my non stretchy pants would fit. I was contemplating changing into a pair of sweats when I heard an urgent knocking at my door. I sighed for the seemingly hundredth time that morning and just pulled my shirt down over the zip.

I walked out of my bedroom and to the door, noticing how much more my hips felt like they were swaying now. When I got to the door, I unlocked and opened it, getting ready to greet Jenna, when she barged in past me, fuming.

"Where is he?!" She shouted out to me as she checked the bedroom.

"Jenna," I called, hoping she’d recognize my voice even though it was a bit higher that it used to be.
She came out of the bedroom, walking down the hall.

"Don’t you dare fucking call me by name,” Jenna screamed from the bathroom. “Now tell me where he is!"

I could hear her yanking the shower curtain back and shouting out my name.

"Jenna, please just listen-" She cut me off by storming into the kitchen and backing me up against the counter. She wasn’t touching me, but her face was probably less than an inch from mine and I could feel her breath. She was angry, and I was kind of scared for my life. I had never seen her this angry before, so I didn’t know what she was capable of. I was looking her in her eyes, silently begging her to just hear me out when suddenly her hard gaze turned shocked and her mouth fell open.

"You-your eyes," she mumbled. I celebrated to myself, I was certain she recognized me know. “And your hair." She brushed her fingers through my hair. "…Kellin?"

My eyes filled with tears at that and I nodded and she just wrapped me in her arms. I let out a hiccup as I tried to hold back a sob and she held me tighter. I held her back just as tightly, crying silently into her neck. After a few moments, I had composed myself, and I leaned back. I was still pressed against the counter, so she took a step back. Her eyes never left mine, though.

"Kellin, what happened to you?" She asked. I told her all that I could remember about last night, focusing on the strange man that seemed to disappear after handing me the pill. Throughout the story, Jenna’s face seemed to get sadder and sadder. After I was done, we just stood in silence until she finally spoke. “You really love him, yeah?" I nodded my head, grateful that she just let me doing drugs slip. She began to smile until her grin was too wide to go any bigger.

"What are you smiling at? Should I be concerned?" I asked. Her smile grew impossibly larger at that.

"You’re always looking at the bad, Kellin! Wanna know something good about all of this?" She questioned, practically bouncing in place.

"What could possibly be good about this, Jenna?" I sighed out.

"You have a better chance with Vic!" She shouted. I blushed and gave my disagreements.

"No, he can’t see me like this, absolutely not."

"Yes, he can and will! You’re stunning, he’s sure to fall in love with you in an instant!"

I had to admit that the idea of Vic wanting something with me was alluring, but I knew that it wasn’t going to happen. Even if I was in a woman’s body, I was still Kellin, the one he thought of as a brother and nothing more. If he fell for my looks, my mannerisms and behavior would surely ruin the rest. But I didn’t know how long this…this spell was going to last and I didn’t want to waste the chance I did have with him, even if it was solely physical. I sighed and could see in Jenna’s eyes that she knew she had me.

"Alright; I guess I’ll give this a shot, yeah?" 
♠ ♠ ♠
hi im back! im rewriting the first few chapters before i start finishing the story because i really couldn't write with how it was written before. i feel like that didn't make sense but thats ok.

im thinking about making it like 10 chapters though so theres been some development