Status: Fixed layout now writing chapter 2

Ella Floating Away

She Disappears

She's already invisible. She walks the halls silently and isn't seen, constantly people run into her. She voices herself. They keep walking. You'd think with her size, she'd be seen. A ginormous elephant of a girl, with doglike features in her face - big eyes, a slight overbite, and a round nose. You'd think with her features, she'd be seen.

She's known by Elena, although all her life she has wanted to be known as Elena Amber. At least the name sounded cool and could make up what her looks were lacking. And not only her looks. Her constant stuttering and inability to form sentences were a major road block as well. Her anxiety didn't let her answer phones and if she did nothing she'd say made any sense.

But she was already invisible - despite her size, looks, and awkwardness, she wasn't seen. She wasn't teased for her physique too often from anyone other than herself.

Throughout her childhood and into teenhood, she tried so hard to be seen. She painted, she acted, she sang until she almost passed out. It's almost one of the 7 wonders of the world that she wasn't seen. There was always someone better - there was always a winner and Elena Amber was never a winner.

Elena Amber was a nonexistent, irrelevant blob making her way through the halls at school.
Elena Amber was the rock that hit the windshield of a car on a cold morning, bouncing off unnoticed.
Elena Amber was the snowfall that disintegrated into rain, falling to the ground to be walked all over.
Elena Amber was the notes you can't hit in your favorite song so you change them to better fit your liking.
Elena Amber was the four leafed clover in a field of clovers, that was stepped on and lost its luck.
And then, one day Elena Amber was gone.

And no one noticed. It was summer vacation, friends were out with friends, going on trips, the girl scouts who had rejected her were in Europe and the theater kids put on a musical she wasn't even told about. There was an art show down town where some freshman's latest work was selected by Elena Amber's art teacher to be presented.

16 steps up the stairs, turn left, lay down. Sleep. Wake up, 16 steps down, go to work, 16 stairs up, repeat. As she slowly slipped into oblivion, I stepped in and took over. No one would miss Elena Amber, and she knew that. Even mom and dad were glad when I stepped in.