Status: Complete. I'm going to sit on this for a few months and edit it after that.

The Experiment Revolution

Day 134

You know, Blue Notebook, I’ve never actually seen a failed experiment before.

I was walking by Dr. Abbott’s office to go on my next hunt when I caught a glimpse of one. It was the panda hybrid. Her ears grew on her chin, the tail in the middle of her back. The fur was growing in patches and creating the wrong pattern. It seemed like the hands weren’t developing correctly. They were just giant, fingerless clubs. Her feet were in the midst of that process.

She sat calmly in a chair as Dr. Abbott explained to her that she is not to live in the new world. I expected her to fight back but she just gave a small, toothless grin and nodded. Dr. Abbott said nothing else and in a syringe went. He left it in her arm for a few minutes and didn’t take it out until her body went limp. As Dr. Abbott turned around to throw away his gloves, the body fell to the floor. Dr. Abbott stepped over her body to leave the room. He asked me how I was doing before turning down the hallway.

I stared at the lifeless body. We have one less experiment now, but I can easily make that up. It’s just interesting how causal Dr. Abbott was about the situation and how willing he was to throw her away. I’ve never seen him do that before.

I left my spot soon after that. We now have fifty-five experiments. Would’ve been fifty-six.