Status: Currently in Progress

Love's Wishes

One

Babe, you know where my tie is?" I asked Maria.
She came into the bedroom and handed me my tie and then fixed it.
As I headed out the door and grabbed my suitcase, she gave me a long kiss, as usual and I walked down to the subway train.
It stunk down here but I had to get used to it for just another couple of months.
Maria and I are working on getting ourselves this nice car.

I boarded the train and stood near the doors.
The end door of the car I was on opened up and a homeless woman started to speak.
"Please, if you have anything at all, I'll be grateful. I am in need of food and clothes and money. Please help." she cried in her sweetest voice.
I took once glance at her while texting Maria on my cell and I saw long dirty blonde hair.
"Please, if you have anything at all, I'll be grateful.." She repeated.
I knew that voice.
I looked up again as she turned toward me when I reached in my pocket for my wallet.
As I took out a $20 bill, she looked up and gasped.
So did I.
"Dan..Danny?" she whispered.
I was without words.
"What are you doing here..? she said embarrassed.
Her name is Alonni.
"Lonni, what are you doing here? What happened to you..?" I cried as I got closer to her.
"I..I need to go."
The doors opened when we came to a stop and she quickly ran out of the train.
I stuffed my wallet and cell phone in my pocket, picked up my suitcase and followed her.
"Lonni! Wait up!" I chased her.
"Leave me alone!" she cried as her super long hair bounced all over her head.
"Alonni!" I boomed as if I were her father.
She haulted and turned around.
I came toward her and stared at her.
"What happened to you?"
"Life..choices.." her hair blocked her face.
"Why are you homeless!" I shouted.
"B-Because!" she began to cry.
"Lonni, talk to me. Please. Remember we were bestfriends all through childhood, elementary school, high school and part of college?" I say.
She nods, still looking the other way.
I narrowed my eyes.
"You're coming with me." I grabbed her arm and yanked her back onto the next train, opposite of my way to work.
I had to help her and get to the bottom of this.

Maria then calls me:
"Hey, babe."
"Hey, I'm leaving to go to work. I'm working the night shift again."
"Oh, that's alright. I'll cook something for you when you get back."
"Awh! Okay, honey. I love you. I'll text you on my lunch break."
"Alright. Love you too, babe."
Alonni tried to move away from me while I was talking on the phone.
"See you soon."
"Okay, bye."
"Bye."

I yanked Alonni off the train and we walked to my house.
"Danny, you don't have to help me.." she sighed.
"Why wouldn't I?" I said angrily while I looked back at her.
I opened the door and pulled her inside.
She looked around while turning in circles.
"I'll find you some clothes. Maria should have something comfortable in here.." I went into our bedroom and picked out some sweat pants and a shirt for her.
"Now, I know you need to take a long shower." I came back in the room and she was gone.

"Alonni..." I said impatiently.
I walked into the living room and I saw her looking around at the pictures on the wall like it was an art museum.
She touched the picture of us as kids and the picture of us at prom.
"You..still have these..?" she whispered.
"Of course." I smiled. "Come with me. You need to take a shower."
I led her to the bathroom and picked her favorite color towel and a wash rag.
"Here's your clothes, the soap is here. You can use my toothbrush, I'll buy another one." I say.
"I remember when we used to use eachothers toothbrushes when we were kids.." she giggled and then quickly stopped smiling.
"Yeah. Me too." I looked at her stare at me.
"Well.. let me get washed!" She shoed me out of the bathroom and closed the door.

I sat in the living room, waiting for her to get finished. I had so many questions. So many things that I needed to say. Things we needed to catch up on.
After about an hour, I checked up on her.
"Alonni, you okay in there?" I knocked.
But then I listened. She was singing.

I remember when her and I were in the high school choir and she had brought me into just because. She knew I couldn't sing but she didn't want to be there by herself.
Those were really fun times.
I sat next to the door and listened to her heavenly melodies and closed my eyes.
She finally came out while drying her hair.
"Soap smells good.." she whispered.
I got up and yanked her into the living room.
"What happened to you?" I asked again.
"I told you already.." she looked away.
"Alonni, we were just in college! And then you disappeared for 5 years! Tell me please!" I begged.
"You don't need to know.." she looked away and bit her lip, holding back her tears.