‹ Prequel: How I Feel
Sequel: Cherry Lips

Chandlier

Two

1, 2, 3 1, 2, 3 drink
1, 2, 3 1, 2, 3 drink
1, 2, 3 1, 2, 3 drink

Throw 'em back, till I lose count


Camryn Carpenter mostly enjoyed her job as a server for a large catering and events company. The pay was good, the food was delicious, and the events were usually fabulous, an opportunity to see how the other half lived and live vicariously through them.

She had put in to have New Year's Eve off three months ago. She wanted to go out with her friends and dance and drink the night away. But a phone call from her boss late in the afternoon had her changing her plans for the night.

That was how she found herself working on New Year's Eve instead of enjoying it. But she was getting paid double which sweetened the deal. And her best friend Landon was working too so at least they had each other. She circulated the room, collecting empty glasses as she carried a tray of champagne.

Everything was going great two hours later as she headed towards the exit for her break. Until she crashed straight into the Stars captain.

"Shit," she cursed as she landed on her ass.

"Good work, Jamie," the woman at his side said.

"Sorry," Jamie offered as he helped Camryn to her feet.

"It was my fault, nothing for you to be sorry about."

"No, I definitely ran into you. Can I get you a drink or something?"

"Thank you but I'm working so I can't. Excuse me," she smiled politely as she sidestepped around him and out of the room.

She hurried outside to catch a few minutes alone, scrolling through her social media to see how much fun her friends were having without her. She sighed and slid her phone back into her pocket and leaned against the wall with her eyes closed.

It was quiet outside so the feminine giggle she heard next startled her, followed by the unmistakable click of heels across the pavement. Two girls in skin tight dresses approached, giggling away. As they passed, she heard them say Tyler and the giggles started again as they talked about how hot he was.

Camryn rolled her eyes as they passed. They looked exactly the type Tyler Seguin would take home for the evening. She hadn't seen him while she was working but she had no doubt he was there somewhere. She headed back in a few minutes later and went back to work.

Camryn was collecting a stack of empty beer bottles to deposit in the trash an hour later when she heard the giggles again. She looked up to see the two women making a beeline in her direction. Glancing behind her, she saw what they were after.

At a table near the back of the room, Tyler sat with Jamie and his fiancé, and Jordie and his wife. They were talking and laughing and obviously having a good time. Camryn thought it strange that Tyler didn't already have a girl at his side but then, the night was still young.

The gigglers approached the table, ignoring the hard stares from the two women already seated there and flanked Tyler on either side. Camryn watched in amusement as he attempted to deflect their attention, his eyes wide as he looked to the women with his friends. He stood abruptly and literally ran from the table and to the nearest exit. The gigglers watched in befuddlement while Tyler's teammates doubled over in laughter.

"Hey." The voice behind her made Camryn jump ten feet. Landon followed her gaze. "Aren't those two very taken?" She teased.

"Shut up. I was watching those two girls try to take Seguin home. He bolted from the room though. It was kind of strange."

She shrugged. "Well, Tom says we can leave if we want. He called us in but Pete called in Sawyer and Caitlyn and they don't need all of us. He'll still pay us though."

"Seriously? That's great."

"You brought a change of clothes?"

"Yeah; I stashed it in the bathroom when I got here."

"I gotta run out to my car and grab mine but ready to go in ten?"

"Absolutely. I'll meet you in the lobby."

"Perfect." She waved as she walked away and Camryn threw her armful of beer bottles in the trash before heading to the ladies room.

She changed in record time and pulled her brown hair into a high ponytail. She looked over her reflection in the mirror before heading out into the hall.

Which is where she found Tyler Seguin peeking out the door of the men's room.

He flushed red when his eyes locked with hers and he licked his lip nervously.

"Are those two girls in there?" He asked.

"The gigglers? No."

"Thank god," he breathed in relief as he came out of the restroom. "They're very aggressive."

"Well good luck avoiding them then."

He chuckled and fell into step beside her as she started away. "Are you here for the party? I don't remember seeing you before."

"No, I'm just leaving."

"Why? It's not even midnight."

"I'm meeting some friends."

"You won't get in anywhere now, it's too late. Everywhere will be packed."

"I'll manage."

Tyler froze as he spotted the two women nearby. "Fuck," he muttered, looking for an escape. They saw him and their faces lit up as they started for him. "Shit!" He hissed.

He looked like a frightened woodland creature and Camryn felt a little bad for him. It must suck to be circled by vultures and those two were definitely vultures, looking for a meal ticket. So she did the only going she could think of. She grabbed his wrist, pushed him into the nearest wall, fit her body against his, and kissed him.

The kiss was more intense than she expected. She expected Tyler to be an above average kind of kisser but she also expected him to be caught off guard with her actions. That only last a few seconds as he began to direct what was going on. Pulling her in closer as her arm wound around his neck. Letting his hand settle at her hip and then drift lower to her ass. When she tugged at his lower lip, he pushed his tongue into her mouth and seized the opportunity. She pressed into his chest in response, making a small noise of pleasure when he turned and settled her against the wall so he could shamelessly grope her ass.

Her fingers tangled with his short hair, undoubtedly mussing it but she didn't care. She felt his dick through his pants against her and she shifted to straddle his thigh. The friction was glorious as they continued to kiss. She heard noises of disgust from the two gigglers as they walked by and soon the click of their heels disappeared. But she remained completely attached to Tyler's mouth.

It wasn't until a throat cleared behind them that they jumped apart, breathless. Camryn tugged the hem of her dress back into place and Tyler ran a hand through his hair.

"Hey, Jamie, what's up?" Tyler smiled easily.

"Stella wanted to make sure those girls didn't kidnap you. I see you've got a handle on things though."

"I didn't but um..." He faltered, not knowing her name.

"Camryn," she supplied. "Sorry; that was out of line since we don't know each other. But they did look like they were considering taking you home and keeping you there. Sometimes I act without thinking it through."

"I didn't mind," he grinned. "Why don't you stay?"

"No, my friend is waiting for me. I need to go."

"But you saved me from becoming a sex slave tonight. I need to repay your kindness or something."

"I'm sure it wouldn't have been the worst thing you had ever gotten yourself into."

"Actually it would have."

"Cam! There you are!" Landon called out as she rounded the corner of the hall. "You didn't answer your phone."

"She was busy saving Segs from becoming a sex slave," Jamie told her.

"What?"

"There were two girls trying to make it with Tyler and I kissed him so that they would go away," Camryn explained quickly. "And now we're leaving."

"Stevie texted me; the club is at capacity and not letting anyone else in."

"I told you," Tyler smirked.

"Shut up," she told him. "Okay, so we can go to my place. I have tequila."

"Or you can stay here," Tyler suggested. "We have an open bar."

"And we already know the food is good," Landon added. She grabbed Camryn's hand. "Might as well stay. The DJ is one of the best in town."

Jamie led the way back inside towards the table they had been sitting at. "Segs is fine; I told you he could handle himself," he said as he dropped into a chair.

"Hi, I'm Avery," the girl beside him said, eyeing Camryn and Landon.

"Landon; this is my best friend Camryn."

"Hello," Camryn nodded.

"This is my sister Stella, and her husband-"

"We know," Landon interrupted. "My boyfriend is a huge fan and he takes me and Cam all the time. His company has a suite."

"You always sit in a suite?" Tyler asked Camryn, leaning forward.

"Yes; I've only ever gone with Landon and Stevie."

"That's no way to watch a game. You have to be in the stands yelling and cheering with the masses, drinking beer and eating peanuts."

"That's how you watch a game?"

"I drink beer at home," he shrugged. "I'll get you tickets to the game next week, as a thank you for tonight."

"You don't need to do that."

"I want to."

"Thank you but I'm very busy next week."

"With what?" Landon spoke up. "It's your birthday on Wednesday and you always take the week off."

"Your birthday is Wednesday? That's when we play!" Tyler said excitedly. "You can come to the game and then we can go out after."

Stella and Avery shared a look as Tyler smiled his most charming smile at Camryn and she frowned at him. This girl was going to give him a serious run for his money.

"I don't celebrate my birthday."

"Why not?"

"Never have. My parents didn't make a big deal out of it when I was growing up and I still don't today."

"We should celebrate this year."

"We?"

"You," he corrected himself. "You should celebrate this year. First time for everything, right?"

"Riiight," she humored him.

"What do you ladies do?" Jordie asked, steering the conversation away from Camryn's birthday.

"Right now we work for Tom and Pete; they own the catering company that did the food tonight," Landon answered. "But we both have business degrees that we're not using."

"Why not?" Stella asked.

"Hated it," Camryn replied. "We quit our jobs about six months ago and started working for Pete and Tom and went back to school."

"Which is very weird when you're twenty five," Landon laughed. "I'm in nursing school now and Cam is going to culinary school."

"You cook?" Tyler said. "I hate cooking but I have this huge kitchen. My mom keeps threatening to hire someone to teach me how to cook so it doesn't go to waste."

Avery elbowed him in the side sharply. "Come get a drink with me, Segs," she smiled. "What does everyone want?"

Avery dragged Tyler with her to the bar and repeated to the bartender what everyone had called out to her at the table. While they waited, she turned to Tyler. "What are you doing?"

"What do you mean what am I doing?"

"That girl, Camryn. What are you doing?"

"Talking to her."

"She's not interested."

"You say that but you weren't there when she kissed me. She's definitely interested."

"She kissed you?! When?"

"Right before your dumb boyfriend interrupted. She saved me from those girls by kissing me. It was great."

"I thought you were turning over a new leaf."

"I am. You heard what Landon said. She has a degree which means she went to college. She's back in school trying to better herself now and do something that makes her happy. That's a huge step up from the girls I normally sleep with."

"She might have kissed you before but she is very clearly giving off you shall not pass signals now, Ty. Maybe you should quit while you're ahead."

"Can't do that," he answered. "I have a feeling."

"You have a feeling? Are you sure it's not heartburn?"

"It's not heartburn. Look, she's gotta be smart; she has a business degree. She thinks quick on her feet, she's a fucking awesome kisser, and she's pretty. I have to try."

"She does seem normal at least."

"That's the spirit!" Tyler enthused as the bartender returned. He tipped him and he and Avery collected the drinks and made their way back. Tyler frowned, noting Camryn was missing from the table.

"Jordie is showing her his "sweet dance moves"," Stella said, complete with eye roll and air quotes. "So sit."

"Hey," Jason Demers said as he walked up. "There's a girl dancing with Darth."

"That's Camryn," Stella told him. "This is Landon."

"Hi," Jason said, extending a hand and a smile to her. "Wanna dance?"

"Oh," Landon said with surprise. "Um, okay, sure." She stood and Jason led her away.

"Can I go save Camryn from Darth now?" Tyler asked.

"Nope," Stella told him. "Sit and drink your beer. Your usual tactics aren't going to work, not this time."

"So what then?"

"You gotta get her to that game next week."

"How do I do that though?"

Stella looked out at the dance floor and smiled. "The universe has it's ways."