‹ Prequel: How I Feel
Sequel: Cherry Lips

Chandlier

Three

Sun is up, I'm a mess
Gotta get out now, gotta run from this


Camryn's eyes narrowed as she looked at her best friend. "What do you mean Jason Demers gave you tickets for tonight's game? Need I remind you that you have a boyfriend."

"He knows that; he just thinks it's cool that I moved here from San Jose and that's where he was before the trade. We got talking about our favorite places and I told him I'd take him to that taco place that reminds me of home for lunch and we met up yesterday. He brought tickets for the game to say thank you."

"Why didn't you tell me yesterday?"

"And give you time to make up an excuse not to go? No way."

"Fine, I'll go."

"It'll be fun, trust me."

~*~*~


The game was fun and Camryn had to admit that Tyler had been right. Watching from her seat in the arena had been better than anytime she had watched from the suite. She enjoyed cheering for the team and interacting with their seat neighbors. It had been one of the better ways she had spent her birthday in recent years.

At the end of the game, Landon had her phone out, sending a text. Camryn leaned over to read and let out a surprised gasp.

"You have his phone number?" She hissed, glancing around furtively.

"Jason? Yeah, we exchanged numbers. I'm just thanking him for the tickets. It was fun."

"Yeah but...what does Stevie think?"

"I didn't tell him. It shouldn't be a big deal who I'm friends with."

"I don't know if you noticed but Jason is really good looking."

"He's also gone all the time and doesn't even live here full time. I imagine it's also stressful."

"Maybe, but one look into those killer blue eyes ought to make everything better."

"Sounds to me like you have a crush. Want me to tell him?"

"No! And I don't have a crush on Jason. I'm merely stating the obvious."

"Why don't you state the obvious about Tyler then? I mean, you are the one who kissed him."

She blushed. "I thought I was being helpful. How would it have looked if those girls had kidnapped him? At a team function no less! I was thinking of the team, that's all."

"Sure you were, not whether that body lived up to photographs."

"That body lived up to expectations, trust."

They shared a giggle as they headed out of the building and to Camryn's car. As they pulled out of the parking lot, Landon's phone dinged. She smiled down at the screen and typed a response before tucking it into her purse.

"What was that?" Camryn asked.

"What was what?"

"That smile."

"Nothing."

"Was that Jason?"

"Yes; he said to tell you happy birthday and that anytime we want tickets to let him know. Now, are you ready to drink?"

"You didn't give me a choice."

"If I gave you a choice you'd be at home in sweatpants watching Netflix."

"I don't know why you don't think that sounds like a good night."

"You're young and haven't had a date in six months. I need you to get out and live life. Which is why we're going out tonight. We're gonna drink and dance and flirt with boys and have a good time."

"Drink, dance, flirt," Camryn repeated. "Got it."

~*~*~


Ninety minutes later, Tyler led a group of guys into a downtown bar. He scanned the crowd and spotted what he was looking for on the dance floor. He left his teammates and muscled through the crowd, ignoring Avery who called out after him.

When he reached her, he put a firm hand at her hip and spun her so she faced him. "Hi," he grinned.

"Are you kidding me?" Camryn said with an exasperated huff. "Did you plan this with Jason and Landon?"

"Yes," he admitted. "But I wanted you to have a good birthday."

"Thank you," she allowed after a brief pause.

"Can I buy you a drink?"

"After you dance with me." She pulled him into the crowd and lost herself in the thumping bass beats, grinding against Tyler. Yeah, his body was definitely as sinful as pictures led one to believe.

Tyler didn't mind one bit the gorgeous girl grinding her backside into him. He was drunk on the smell of coconuts and mint that emanated from her brown hair, and her killer body under his hands.

He spun Camryn to him and held her face in his hands before leaning in to kiss her. "Happy birthday."

"Happy birthday indeed," she smirked. She turned and started off the dance floor, Tyler quick to follow. She made her way to the bar and after catching the bartenders attention, ordered a drink. Tyler pressed against her back to order for himself before settling his arms around Camryn's waist and pulling her back to him.

"Your hair smells like coconut and mint," he blurted out. He felt his face flush as she looked back over her shoulder at him.

"You smell like lemons and pepper. It's sexy."

"You're sexy."

The bartender set their drinks down and they grabbed them. Camryn let Tyler lead her to a roped off section of the club and into a secluded corner booth, sliding in beside each other.

"I'm not sexy," she said after taking a sip from her drink. "I'm sure I couldn't compare to any of the women you take home."

"You're better," he swore. Even in the dim light of the club, Tyler noticed her blush as she took another sip from her glass.

"Why are you even talking to me? There are two girls right over there eyeing you, just waiting for you to get up so they can make their move."

He glanced in their direction and they stood straighter. He looked back at Camryn and leaned in close to her, pushing her hair away from her neck and kissing her behind her ear, trailing slowly to her collar bone.

"Oh my lord," he heard her whisper.

"Why do you find it so hard to believe that I'm not interested in those girls over there and that I am completely captivated by you?"

"Because I'm not your type."

"Says who?"

"Twitter. Instagram. Every gossipy hockey blog known to mankind."

"Maybe I've had a type in the past but it's gotten me nowhere. And I'm not interested in keeping up with what people expect."

"So you think you like me because I'm not what people expect?"

"No! That didn't come out right. See? I can't even talk to you without messing up."

"You do much better kissing," she smirked.

"We should definitely go back to that," he replied, sliding a hand behind her neck.

"Yeah, I don't think so," she said as she moved away from him.

"Come on, Camryn. One date. That's all I'm asking for. Give me a chance."

"There you are!" Avery exclaimed as she bounded towards them. "I've been looking everywhere for you." She smiled warmly at Camryn. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you," she replied as she stood. "Have you seen Landon?"

"She's dancing with Jason."

"Oh."

"Come meet the guys," Avery said to her, taking Camryn's hand and pulling her along with him.

Tyler sighed dramatically and leaned his head back, eyes closed. When he opened them, he found the two girls from before standing in front of him. "Um, hi?"

"Hi," they purred in unison, sliding in on either side of him.

"Oh good lord," Avery muttered, looking back at Tyler from across the room.

"I'll get him," Stella said as she stood. "Happy Birthday, Camryn."

"Thank you," Camryn smiled. "And don't worry about Tyler; I'll save him."

The sisters exchanged a look as Camryn strode purposefully back across the room. "Baby," she whined. "Why are you still over here? I need you." She reached for him and started tugging him, forcing the one girl out of the booth. With Tyler in front of her, she pressed against him and put her arms around him.

She giggled as Tyler squeezed her, lifting her a few inches off the ground. "Sorry to keep you waiting, beautiful." He kissed her sweetly.

"Tell your friends bye."

"What friends?" He winked. Camryn burst out laughing at the two girls expressions as she led Tyler away. He kept his fingers firmly laced with hers when they made it back to where Avery and Stella sat.

"You know, Ty," Stella started, "not every girl would rescue you once, let alone twice."

"Most girls wouldn't rescue you once," Avery added.

"Admit it," Tyler said to Camryn. "You like rescuing me."

"It is fun to see the disappointment in their faces," she laughed.

"I like the ones who pretend I'm not standing right there next to Jamie and smash their boobs into his arm," Avery said. "Those are usually the ones Ty looks after."

Tyler frowned but Camryn laughed. "I'm assuming a high IQ is not on your standards list?"

"I don't always date dumb girls," he replied. "And Avery is making me sound worse."

"There's no hiding your party boy reputation," Camryn told him. "But I might overlook it," she said lowly as she leaned in towards him.

He sent his most panty melting smile in her direction and it got exactly the response he wanted when she blushed. Winning Camryn over was going to be a process but it was a battle he was determined to win.

"So then about that date... How about Saturday?"

"I'll think about it."

"Thinking is good," he nodded. "How about another drink so I can get you to yes?"

He took Jamie and Jordie with him so he could let Stella and Avery talk him up. At least he hoped they'd talk him up. He was pretty sure they'd talk him up. At least for the most part.

"Spill it," Stella demanded once the boys were out of earshot. "Do you like him or not? Because watching Tyler work for it is the most entertaining thing ever but I want him to end up happy and if you're just messing with him then I am going to politely ask you to get lost."

Camryn sighed. "It's just....he's Tyler Seguin. And he fucks models. I am not a model."

"Do you like him?" Avery asked.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"He's actually kind of sweet and nice and Jesus he's fucking hot. What the hell does he see in me?"

"I don't mean this to sound bad so don't take it that way but you're a challenge and Tyler needs a challenge," Stella told her. "The girls he takes home aren't long term material; they're good time girls. He needs someone with a mind of their own, a career, and goals that don't include winning Miss Teen Texas."

Avery laughed. "Oh god, that girl was a space cadet."

"He took home a teenager?" Camryn asked.

"He didn't," Stella assured her. "But she tried really hard to get him to. She was the same age as his sisters so he was really grossed out by it."

"But he did date that one beauty queen before we met him," Avery pointed out. "It was only for a month and Jamie said it wasn't serious and that she wasn't very nice anyway. Tyler isn't the guy he's made out to be. He's confident, sure, but he's down to earth. And funny. He's a sweetheart."

"He's become like a brother to us; we just want him to find his happily ever after, like we did with Jordie and Jamie," Stella added.

"Tell me the truth," Camryn started. "Did you ever think you'd marry brothers?"

"I never thought Avery would date an athlete of any kind," Stella answered. "So when I found out she was secretly seeing Jamie and didn't tell me, I wanted to kill her."

"Shut up!" Camryn said, leaning forward. "You secretly dated Jamie?"

"He wore me down," Avery replied. "I told him no but have you seen him? It's impossible to keep saying no to something that looks that damn good. And the way he kisses; there was no coming back from that."

Camryn felt her lips quirk into a smile at that. "Why the smile?" Stella asked.

"I kind of feel the same way about Tyler," she admitted. "The way he looks at me, like everything I'm about to say is the secret to life; the passion in his kiss even though I barely know him. God, and that smile," she groaned. "I'm a lost cause, aren't I?"

Stella and Avery looked at each other and laughed. "Yep," they said in unison.

"Ladies," Jason Demers said as he sat down. "Happy birthday, Cam."

"Thank you, Jason." She turned to Landon. "Is Stevie still meeting us here?"

"No," she answered with a curt shake of her head.

"Go help Jordie and the boys with drinks at the bar, Jason," Stella said to him. "Now."

He saluted her with a grin and walked away. Landon watched him go and Camryn slapped her arm lightly. "Stop checking him out. You have a boyfriend, a great boyfriend."

"I can't believe you married him," Avery said to Stella.

"What?!" Camryn and Landon exclaimed.

"Whoops," Avery giggled.

"You're cut off," Stella told her sister. She looked at the other two. "Well, since you're gonna start dating Ty and you're on the verge of breaking up with your boyfriend to bang Demers, you might as well know. Jason and I met when we were twenty and had a whirlwind romance that included a six week long marriage that ended in divorce. I didn't see him again until he was traded here last season. Oh, and he's my son's biological father. Jordie adopted Alex when we got married so legally he's Alex's dad but Jason and his family are a part of his life too."

Both girls stared back at her unblinking. "Sooo, yeah," Stella said to break the silence. "Now you know."

"Are you messing with us?" Landon asked.

"No. Jason likes you by the way, in case you didn't figure that out yourself. But you should know about this before you make a decision about your current boyfriend and where Jason Demers fits in."

"I'll take it under advisement. But what do you mean Cam is about to start dating Tyler Seguin?"

"She keeps kissing him," Avery reported.

"He kissed me first tonight," Camryn retorted.

"You still liked it."

"It was pretty great."

"Let him take you out; you won't regret it. Jamie and I will even go. It can be a double date."

"If you and Jamie go, I'll go."

"Where are we going?" Jamie asked as the guys walked back up with drinks.

"We're going on a double date with Ty and Camryn," Avery told him.

"Why?" Jamie asked.

"You're gonna go out with me?" Tyler said to Camryn.

"Yes, I'm agreeing to dinner and dinner only," she answered him.

"I can order in to my place," he suggested. "That way we don't get bothered all night."

"Jamie rented a private dining room for our first date so we could talk without being interrupted," Avery said.

"I told him to do that," Tyler piped up proudly.

"What if I cook? Do you own pots and pans?" Camryn asked.

Tyler shrugged. "My mom bought stuff."

"His kitchen is actually very well stocked with all the essentials," Stella said. "It's the food part that's concerning, unless we're talking about Gatorade and beer."

"If I give you a list, can you manage grocery shopping?" Camryn said to him.

"I probably could, or you can come over early and we can go together," he countered with what he hoped was his most charming smile. "I'll pick you up at five."

"I'll meet you at whole foods at five," Camryn told him. "Letting you pick me up implies I might spend the night with you and that is not happening."

"It will. Eventually."