‹ Prequel: How I Feel
Sequel: Cherry Lips

Chandlier

Four

But I'm holding on for dear life, won't look down won't open my eyes

Tyler had texted Camryn the address to the nearest Whole Foods to his house at seven am Saturday morning. Then he went back and read through the conversations they had been having since Thursday, after she had given him her number before leaving the club.

Which was right after the heart stopping kiss they shared in the parking lot outside of her car. Possibly she had given him her number because she was delirious on the kiss. Tyler knew he had been.

What he liked about talking to Camryn was that he could just be himself. She didn't care about who everyone thought he was and was actually interested in knowing who Tyler thought he was. He told her things that very few people knew about him and it felt really good to confide and trust her.

In turn, she shared about herself and for once, Tyler got to know the girl instead of sleeping with her and then trying to get to know her. He was, Stella told him, building an adult relationship that wasn't based on sex. He felt kind of proud of himself.

The day passed by tediously slowly and at four thirty, he made the drive to the store. He parked his vehicle and waited, watching for Camryn to pull in. When he saw her car pull in the parking lot at four fifty six, he jumped out of his and hurried towards her.

He was opening her door and leaning in to kiss her before she could greet him but Camryn found his no words greeting better than a spoken hello. He grinned sheepishly when he pulled back and moved out of the way so she could get out of the car.

"Sorry," he muttered.

"For what? Ambushing me with kisses?"

"Yeah."

She leaned up to kiss him at the corner of his mouth. "I have this small problem where I apparently really enjoy kissing you though so it's the type of ambush I'm not going to complain about."

His eyes lit and his face cracked into a cocky smile. "Is that so?"

"That is so," she replied as she started away.

Tyler hurried to fall into step beside her and took her hand in his. She glanced at their entwined hands once but decided she really liked whatever was happening between the two of them and that she was just going to go with it.

"So," Tyler started, swinging their hands between them, "what are making tonight?"

"Well, I was thinking italian but you guys eat a shit ton of pasta during the season, don't you?"

"Yep; a shit ton," he smirked.

"So I decided to do Thai food instead."

"You can cook Thai food?"

"Yes, Tyler, I can cook Thai food. Pretty amazing Thai food I might add. Now get a cart; we've got shopping to do."

They were in the store forty five minutes before loading all of the purchases into the back of Tyler's vehicle. Camryn followed him back to his house and upon pulling into his driveway, marveled at the sheer size of the place.

"Do you have such a large house to make up for other things that are lacking?" Camryn asked as she stepped out of her car.

"Would you like to find out for yourself?" Tyler countered.

She wanted to leave the groceries in the car and say yes but she shook her head with a laugh instead. "Maybe some other time," she quipped.

"That wasn't a no," Tyler smirked. "Which means I have a chance."

"You wish you had a chance."

"You wish you could resist."

"Show me the way to your kitchen," she told him. He smirked again and they gathered the bags of food and Tyler led the way into his home. As soon as the front door clicked open, two dogs came bounding toward them.

"Sit," Tyler commanded as the dogs sank to their haunches, looking up at him expectantly. "These are my dogs, Marshall and Cash. I should have asked if you liked dogs, or if you're allergic so I could've put them up."

"It's fine, Tyler. I love dogs but can't have one at my place. And I grew up with labs."

"Yeah?"

"A yellow lab named Aikman."

"You had a dog named after a football player?"

"Of course. My dad is a huge Cowboys fan. Who's who of your guys?"

"Marshall is the chocolate; I've had him for a few years. I got Cash about a year ago." He patted his thigh and both dogs trotted over to him.

"Come on, I'll show you the kitchen," he said as he started forward. She followed, looking around, taking it all in as they went, the dogs trotting after them.

"Your house is amazing," she said as they reached their kitchen.

"Thank you; let me show you the rest of it."

"Rain check until after dinner? If Jamie and Avery are coming at seven, I need to get started."

He nodded. "Can I help?"

"Sure."

She put him to work peeling shrimp as she started on a sauce. "What are you making?"

"Shrimp with a spicy peanut lime vinaigrette, coconut chicken curry, and sticky rice for dessert."

"Rice for dessert?"

"Trust me, Seguin."

They lost track of time as they worked, talking and joking. The dogs had abandoned them not long after they started cooking as soon as they realized that neither were going to give them any food Tyler had her leaned back against the counter and was kissing her when he heard his phone ring. He muttered a curse under his breath as he stepped away to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Took you long enough. I've been calling you for the last forty five minutes," Jamie's voice came over the line.

Tyler glanced at the clock on the wall. Seven fifteen. "Where are you guys?"

"That's why I've been trying to call you. Stella and Jordie are sick so Avery and I have Alex. Will you please tell Camryn that we're really sorry that we can't make it tonight and that we owe her dinner?"

"Yeah, sure, I'll tell her. Are you sure you just don't want to come over with Alex though? I don't mind if you do that."

"Dude, no. Alex would steal your thunder. Little man is a total heartbreaker."

Tyler laughed. "Yeah, that's probably true."

"I'll see you at practice tomorrow."

"Alright. See ya."

Tyler set his phone on the counter and turned back to Camryn, who was checking on her curry. He smiled to himself as he watched her. He wasn't sure he had ever had a girl in his house for this long without getting her naked and he kind of liked it. If this was growing up, then sign him up.

"Don't get mad," he started, causing Camryn to turn and look at him, "but Jamie and Avery aren't coming. They have to babysit Alex because Stella and Jordie are sick. Jamie said he owes you dinner though."

"Oh."

"I swear I didn't plan this; it's not a trick."

"I didn't think it was."

"You're not mad?"

"No. We just might have too much food now."

"I could call a couple guys to eat with us," he suggested.

"No, I think we can manage alone," Camryn replied. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes."

"Then let's eat."

After eating, they put away the leftovers and loaded the dishwasher. Camryn wiped down the counters while Tyler took out the trash and the dogs. It was weirdly domestic and he liked it.

When he got back inside, he led Camryn by the hand to his couch and pulled her down beside him as he grabbed the remote control. She curled up at his side and Tyler kept an arm around her as he flipped the channels, settling on a rerun of The Big Bang Theory. Marshall climbed up beside her and she absently scratched his head as Cash curled up on the floor under Tyler's outstretched legs.

The silence was comfortable, something Tyler never thought he'd be okay with. He liked the way she giggled along with the show, the way she squeezed his arm just because, and the way she fit at his side.

A little before eleven, Camryn stood. "I should head home; it's getting late."

"I'll walk you out to your car," Tyler said as he rose to his feet. He told the dogs to stay in the house before he followed her to the door and then outside to her car. "Text me when you get home?"

She nodded. "I will."

"We leave Monday for a couple games but we play Friday and Sunday. Can you come?"

"I'm working an event Friday night but I'm free Sunday."

"I'll leave you and Landon tickets at will call."

"Okay."

He put his arm around her middle and drew her into him. "Thank you for dinner. It was really good. My mom will be really happy to hear that my kitchen got used for actual cooking purposes."

"You're welcome," she told him, going up on her tiptoes to kiss him.

"Can we have tacos next time?"

She laughed. "Tacos?"

"Yeah; I love tacos."

She kissed him again. "I'll see you later, Tyler." She started to pull away but he pulled her back and hugged her tightly.

"Are you taking me seriously now and giving me a chance?"

"Looks that way," she laughed lightly.

"So next week then?"

"I'll come to your game Sunday and cook you tacos after. But I get to pick the movie."

"Deal." They shook on it before she got into her car. Tyler waited until he couldn't see her tail lights before walking back inside with a smile on his face. He locked up the house and grabbed his phone before heading upstairs.

He showered and pulled on a pair of sweatpants before sliding under the sheets. He turned on the TV to catch highlights from games around the league. His phone vibrated from the bedside table he had left it on and he grabbed it, another smile breaking across his face.

Made it home safe and sound. Thank you for letting me cook in your amazing kitchen.

Thank you for cooking and your company. I had a really good time with you.

Even though we just stayed in?

Turns out I like low key when I'm with the right girl.

Is that a line?

Probably. Did it work?

Maybe.

Is it okay if I text you this week, maybe call?

Sure.

Awesome. I'll see you next Sunday.

Sunday night tacos and a movie. :)

Can't wait. :)