‹ Prequel: How I Feel
Sequel: Cherry Lips

Chandlier

Five

Keep my glass full until morning light, 'cause I'm just holding on for tonight

"Hey Camryn," Avery waved as she made her way to her seat Sunday afternoon.

"Hey Avery, Stella," she smiled.

Stella pulled her into a hug as soon as she was close enough. "I'm so sorry I messed up your date night with Ty. I hope it was still okay."

"It was great actually, and you didn't mess it up. How are you? Are you better?"

"Yeah; it was a forty eight hour bug but ugh! It was horrible."

"I bet."

"Mom! Mom!" A small voice came from behind her. "Can I get popcorn?"

"In a minute we can. Can you say hello to Ms. Camryn first, Alex?"

"Hello," he said quietly.

"It's very nice to meet you, Alex," Camryn smiled.

"Don't tell Avery anything about your date until I get back," Stella warned her. "I want to hear everything that happened."

She started away with Alex and Avery and Camryn settled into their seats. "Hasn't Tyler already told Jamie and Jordie what happened and then they told you?"

"He hasn't. And truth be told, he wouldn't have relied on Jamie or Jordie to tell us. When he decided he wanted something different in his life than just his party boy rep, he came to me and Stella for advice. With their being on the road this last week, we haven't had a chance to make him spill his guts. But you're here so you can tell us everything."

"There's not that much to tell."

"I'm sure you're wrong but wait for Stella. She sees all the good in Ty. I think he's like an annoying younger brother I never wanted." Camryn laughed at that. "Is Landon coming tonight?"

"No, she had plans with Stevie."

"Oh. Have they been together long?"

"Six months but they knew each other for about three years before they started dating." Avery nodded. "Can I ask you something?"

"Ask away."

"Is it hard, being with Jamie?"

"How do you mean?"

"The attention he gets, the schedule, the women...is it a lot?"

"Sometimes. I guess it helps that I have my sister here but also having a job that keeps me busy. There's plenty to keep me distracted when they're gone on the long trips."

"And the unwanted attention?"

"It sucks but I love Jamie, and I trust him. I know he wouldn't and it will only eat me up inside if I dwell on it so I don't. It wasn't easy in the beginning but if I didn't want to lose my mind then I had to not let it get to me. And I have Stella so if you need to vent about it, I'll always be here."

"What did I miss?" Stella asked as she sat down.

"Nothing yet," Avery answered. "We were just talking."

"Well?" Stella said expectantly to Camryn. "Let's hear about this date."

"I made him dinner and we watched some TV on the couch with his dogs. That's basically it."

"When are you going out again?" Avery asked.

"I'm seeing him after the game; we're just having dinner and a movie at his place."

"Did you...?"

"Did I what?"

Avery groaned. "She means have you two...you know. When she asked me about whether Jamie and I had she made some highly inappropriate hand gestures to get her point across."

"We haven't," Camryn told her emphatically. "I don't even know exactly what we're doing."

"You talked while they were gone last week?" Stella asked.

"Yeah, we texted every day and spoke a couple times."

"Everyday? I'm impressed. Go Tyler," Stella said proudly.

"We should all get dinner this week," Avery added. "Make Jason babysit Alex."

"I still can't wrap my head around the whole you and Jason thing," Camryn mused.

Stella shrugged. "We were kids and it was dumb but I thought I was in love. I got Alex though so silver linings I guess."

They continued to talk until the game started and Camryn couldn't help but observe the way the two watched. Stella was passionate, cheering for the team, booing the refs, and both she and Alex were enthusiastic whenever Jordie was on the ice.

Avery on the other hand studied the action silently. Her eyes followed the plays and Camryn could tell her mind was working as she did. Her smile though when Jamie scored and the excited high five she exchanged with Alex was the only break from her otherwise studied approach to watching.

When Tyler scored late in the third period to give the Stars the lead, the sisters turned to Camryn with giddy smiles. Avery high fived her and Stella squeezed her hand. When the goal held as the game winner, Stella leaned in close to her and said lowly, "I think you have to give him a kiss for that now."

"Shut up," she hissed back with a blush.

They headed downstairs after the game and waited in the family room. Avery and Stella introduced her to a few of the other women as they chatted with their friends. Camryn glanced around, feeling out of place, not sure exactly what she and Tyler were doing. This felt very official and like a coming out and she had no idea if she was ready for that.

Tyler was riding high from the win over the Jets. He gave his post game interviews and met with the kids who had come to the game that night as guests in the suite he donated for every home game before heading to the lounge. He spotted Jordie, Jamie, and Jason with the girls and made a beeline for them.

"Hey," he said, slipping an arm around Camryn's waist and hugging her to him.

"Great game, Ty," Avery smiled. "Wonder why you played like a show off."

"Just trying to keep my girlfriend interested."

Stella and Avery shared a look and matching smiles and he knew Stella was dying to squeal. They approved and that meant a lot.

Tyler squeezed Camryn closer. "Did I earn my supper?" He drawled.

She murmured her agreement. "And this," she replied, turning into him and leaning up to kiss him. Tyler held her in place against him and smiled against her lips.

"I gotta make sure I score in every game," he smirked.

"Ego maniac," Camryn teased him.

"You ready to go? I'm starving."

"What are we eating?" Jordie asked loudly.

"Whatever you can find at home," Stella replied, slapping his arm.

"But Segs said Cam is a really good cook and it's not fair that he's hoarding all of her skills."

"Oh, so I'm not a good cook?" She stood with her hands on her hips.

"Now you've done it," Avery told him.

"Good luck getting yourself out of this one," Jamie added. "Come on, Avery; let's go home."

Avery hugged her sister and then Tyler before hugging Camryn. She hugged her nephew as he ambled over to the adults and she and Jamie waved as they left. Jordie scooped up Alex and grinned at Camryn and Tyler.

"When she kicks me out, send food to Jamie's. Avery can't cook and neither can Jamie."

Behind him Stella rolled her eyes. "I like you too much to kick you out."

"It's because of that thing I did, right?"

"What? Killing spiders?"

"Sure, that, and that other thing." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively and Stella smacked him in the back of the head.

"Shut. Up."

He grinned victoriously. "See you guys later," he said as he walked out. Stella followed after hugging Tyler and Camryn.

"Where did you park?" Tyler asked.

"I walked actually. I don't live far from here."

"How were you planning to get home tonight?"

"An uber."

"Seriously?"

She shrugged. "Assuming I get home."

Tyler's jaw dropped as she sauntered out of the room. When his brain caught up, he scrambled to catch up, falling into step beside her and taking her hand in his. "Sooooo, you're staying the night?"

"It's already after eight. I have to feed you and you talk a lot so there's no telling how long dinner will last. Plus you promised me a movie. I figured there's a pretty good chance I'll fall asleep on your couch; it was pretty comfy after all."

"I have an even more comfortable bed."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," he said as he came to a stop.

Camryn turned to him and studied him a moment before kissing his cheek. "Did you put the same bed in your guest room?"

~*~*~


At ten the next morning, Tyler pushed open the door to one of the guest rooms and leaned in the doorframe.

This was definitely a first for him. There was a girl in his house who stayed the night, that wasn't related to him, and she hadn't stayed in his bed.

And he had felt butterflies the night before when he called her his girlfriend.

Butterflies.

He was still kind of shocked about it.

He cleared his throat and Camryn rolled over with a groan. "Good morning," Tyler said. "Are you hungry?"

"Are you cooking?"

"Yes."

"Then I'm starving."

He chuckled as he tossed a pair of sweatpants her way. "I've got clean shirts in my room if you want to borrow something."

"Thanks, Ty."

"I'll be in the kitchen whenever you're ready."

He closed the door and Camryn threw the covers off her and swung her feet off the bed. She pulled the sweatpants on over her panties and found her bra in the floor. She put it on and peeked her head out the door. Finding the hall clear, she darted out and into Tyler's bedroom.

On his bed were three shirts and she smiled to herself as she looked them over. She grabbed the white v-neck and slipped it on before heading to the kitchen, stopping to pet the two dogs who were stretched out on the couch.

"Need any help?"

Tyler turned at her voice and stared for a second before snapping out of it. "I've never had a girl wear my clothes."

"That you didn't fuck first."

Tyler blushed. "They don't stay the night often."

"It's fine, Tyler. You're not a saint."

"No one's ever looked better if that counts for anything."

"It does," she smiled, walking over to him and kissing his cheek. "What are you making?"

"Omelettes and turkey bacon."

"Turkey bacon? Don't you have the good stuff?"

"I am an athlete, Camryn. My body is a temple."

"And you let any girl worship it," she smirked.

He caught her around the middle and pulled her to him. "Only you now. If you want."

"Is there real bacon hiding anywhere in your fridge?"

He smiled. "There is. I don't actually have any turkey bacon."

"Things are looking up for you, Seguin."

He kissed her. "Very glad to hear it."

She wiggled out of his hold and walked towards the fridge. She found orange juice and poured herself a glass and then a second one for Tyler. She leaned back against the fridge and watched him work at the stove.

"So," she started as he grabbed for some chopped vegetables on the counter beside him. He looked back at her over his shoulder.

"Hmm?"

"Girlfriend?"

He paused and turned to look at her. "Yeah. Is that not okay?"

"It was very presumptuous of you."

"Presumptuous...that's a big word. Don't you know I'm a hockey player?"

She giggled at him. "It's a word that perfectly describes you though. Bold. Forward. Cocky."

"Yes, I am all of those things. Was it bold and forward and cocky of me to call you my girlfriend?"

"No," she answered shyly, looking away from him.

"Seriously?" Tyler said incredulously. "Like that's it? We're a couple for real?"

"If that's really what you want."

"Hell yes it is!" He exclaimed. He surged towards her and lifted her into a happy hug. "I know I'm probably gonna be shitty at this in the beginning but I want this, Cam. I only want to date you. And I mean really date you. No half assed bullshit just to get you in my bed. So when I mess up, you gotta call me on it so I can be better, for you."

She smiled as he set her on the counter top and stepped between her legs. She leaned into him and kissed him, running her fingers through his short hair to wind her hands behind his neck. "As long as you are always faithful to me, we'll figure it out together, I promise."