‹ Prequel: How I Feel
Sequel: Cherry Lips

Chandlier

Six

I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist

Being in a relationship came easier to Tyler than he ever expected it would. He liked knowing Camryn was at his home games, cheering for him alongside Stella and Avery, that he could text her about stupid things that happened out on the road, and that she was going to be in Dallas when he got back, there to support him.

In return, he was there to support her and when she graduated from culinary school in March, he threw a huge party to celebrate. She hadn't found a job yet but Tyler had faith the right opportunity would come along for her. She was a great cook, and Tyler especially enjoyed what had become their weekly Sunday taco night, and the different combinations for fillings she came up with.

When the season ended after a second round exit in the playoffs, reality set in for Tyler. He always went back to Toronto in the summer, to see his family, hang out with his friends, train, and goof off. But Camryn wasn't in Toronto. She was in Texas, with friends and family of her own.

The realization hit him hard and when he picked her up on his last night in Dallas until the end of summer, his mood was sour. He didn't mean to be short and brusque with her but his greeting was clipped and when she leaned in to kiss him, he turned his face so her lips landed on his cheek.

The ride to the restaurant was quiet; Camryn tried to start a conversation but his answers were one worded so she dropped it and looked out the window. He didn't want to take his feelings out on her but he couldn't stop himself. His head was trying to protect his heart when it was too late for that.

They were seated and looking over their menus when Camryn sat hers down and stared across the table at him. He kept studying his menu but could feel her eyes on him.

"Tyler Paul Seguin, I swear to god, if you don't tell me what's eating at you and making you act like a five year old brat, I will walk out of here and never speak to you again."

He looked up, wide eyed. "Don't do that."

"Then talk to me. I'll tolerate your moods during the season because I can accept the ups and downs of a hockey season and you get over it in about ten minutes but the season is over, and you have no excuse. Speak your mind."

"I don't want to go home without you," he blurted out.

“That’s it? That’s why you haven’t spoken to me since you picked me up? Because you leave for Toronto tomorrow and I’ll be here? You know you’re a baby, right?”

“I am not,” he pouted, folding his arms across his chest. She cocked her head to the side and gave him a pointed look and he quickly unfolded his arms. “Okay, maybe I’m a baby.”

“Why haven’t you said anything?”

“I hadn’t thought about it honestly. Everything's been so great, and we’ve been having such a good time together that I never thought about what happened when the season was over. And then it hit me that you’re going to be in Dallas and I’ll be home and I don’t like it.”

“So then why didn’t you ask me if I wanted to go home with you?”

“You have a life here, family and friends. I didn’t expect you to move your life for a few months when we’ve only been together for six months.”

“So you don’t want me to go with you.”

“Of course I do!”

She nodded. “I got a job for the summer, working for a really great chef. It pays shitty and it's not much more than a glorified internship, but it’s a start, a chance to see someone amazing work and to learn from them. One of my teachers knows him and recommended me when he knew I was looking for something.”

“Oh,” Tyler replied quietly. “Well that’s really great, Cam. I’m happy for you. Hopefully it turns into a really great opportunity.”

“I hope not,” she smiled.

“I don’t understand...”

“It’s a summer job in Toronto. I’d hate to have to stay in Toronto for winter.”

“You....you got a job in Toronto?”

“For the summer. I got my work visa two days ago. I didn’t want to tell you until I knew for sure it was going to happen.”

“You’re coming to Toronto?”

“I have to find someplace to live but yeah, that’s the plan.”

“With me; you’ll live with me.”

“Don’t you have roommates in the summer?”

“Just Michael. You’ll like him.”

“Are you sure it’s a good idea to live together?”

He shrugged. “Sure. It’ll be great. What could go wrong?”

Camryn laughed. “Oh, you know, just everything.”

“What? No, it’ll be great. I love you, and you love me. I mean, I’ll probably annoy you once or twice, but you can’t resist me.”

“Tyler....do you want to back up a minute and think about what you just said?”

He opened his mouth to speak but paused as he realized what Camryn meant. They hadn’t said that to each other and he was surprised it had slipped out so easily. But it was easy to say, because he meant it. He loved her.

“I love you, Cam.”

She smiled and reached across the table to squeeze his hand. “Are you just saying that so I’ll go to Toronto with you?”

“No,” he laughed. “I mean it. I like being with you, spending time with you. I like being in a relationship; I like being in it with you. I’m happy, happier than I ever thought I would be being with one person.”

“I love you too, Tyler.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really. Now can we enjoy dinner and speak to each other?”

“Yes. And I’m sorry for being a brat before.”

“You’re forgiven, this time. Next time I might not be so nice.”

“Part of the deal was that you call me on my bullshit so if you have to put me in my place, so be it.”

“I do so enjoy calling you on your bullshit.”

“You, and Avery and Stella.”

“That’s what happens when your best friend is engaged to a ball buster and her sister wants the best for you.”

“I’m pretty lucky though; they look out for me, and you keep me on my toes. It’s a win-win for the world.”

Camryn laughed. “You’re right; Tyler Seguin giving up his fuckboy ways is definitely a win-win for the world.”

~*~*~


Summer in Toronto flew by but it was more fun than any summer before. Camryn worked most nights and would fall into bed sometime around one or two in the morning. Tyler was up at six to train and by the time he got home at ten, Cam was up and making breakfast.

They would hang out during the day, relaxing by the pool or exploring Toronto. On one weekend she was able to get off, he took her to visit his mom and sisters. They had met in Dallas once but hadn't had the chance then to really talk or get to know each other.

The women in his life hit it off better than Tyler could've hoped for. Even his sisters, who were notorious for being evil to girls he had around, really liked Camryn and told him not to screw it up.

Even Michael Del Zotto, Tyler's summer roommate and good friend liked her. When Tyler had told him that his girlfriend would be living with them too that summer, Michael had been less than thrilled. And then Camryn won him over with taco night and Michael realized that having a girl around wasn't all that bad, except for when she ran off an easy lay because she was trashy, or cheap, or a gold digger.

For her part, Camryn found that living with two guys was not quite as exhausting as she expected it to be. Tyler was messy but Michael wasn't and the chores around the house didn't automatically fall to her because she was a girl. It had been fun to hear Michael tell her stories about Ty, even though she could read the alarm and horror in Tyler's face when he did. Camryn had long ago accepted Tyler's past as his past. She knew Tyler, and she knew he wasn't his reputation.

Camryn's job ended the week before they would return to Dallas so they spent their last week of summer getting away from everything and going to Hawaii. Then they were back in Toronto for to pack up and make the drive back to Dallas with Tyler's two dogs.

They made the drive over two days, stopping at a few touristy places on the way. They took turns driving and mostly agreed on the music they listened to. When they arrived in Dallas, Tyler drove straight to Stella and Jordie's, where they also found Avery and Jamie.

"Hey, you're back!" Avery greeted the pair as they got out of the car. Cash and Marshall raced across the yard and into the open front door.

"Tyler Seguin!" They heard Stella shriek. "Come get your dogs before they destroy my house!"

"They won't destroy it," he called back. "Just cause a little mayhem, he grinned at Avery and Camryn. " He kissed Camryn's cheek and then Avery's. "It's good to see you again, Aves," he told her before heading inside.

"How was your summer?" Avery asked.

"Great actually. Work was hard but the experience was worth it. And living with Ty wasn't bad at all."

"What about Del Zotto?"

"Mikey is a sweetheart," Camryn smiled. "I think I managed to even put some ideas in his head about finding himself a good woman and stop chasing a bunch of puck bunnies who don't give a shit about him."

"Good for you. I met him once when Philly played here last year. He seemed nice, definitely very sure of himself. Damn if he isn't really good looking though."

The girls laughed as they headed inside. "It wasn't bad to look at poolside all summer, I'll say that."

"Says the girl dating Mr. Body Issue himself."

"That was really great to look at all summer too."

They were laughing as they walked into the kitchen where they found Stella and Jordie, along with their sons, Alex and Connor. Connor had been born the first week of June and they had seen pictures, but hadn't met him yet since she and Tyler had already left for Toronto.

She hugged Stella and Jordie before holding her arms out for the baby. Stella placed him there with a smile.

"He's gorgeous you guys. Congratulations," Camryn said. "Stels, you look amazing."

"I started going to the gym with Jordie when he went to train as soon as I got the okay from my doctor. Jordie's mom was happy to keep the boys for us for a few hours every day."

"And she wanted to look amazing in a dress for my wedding," Avery added. "I think she wants to outshine me."

"Speaking of which, are you nervous? Excited?"

"Both," she replied. "But I'm happy and that's what is important."

"I can't believe I just left Canada after spending my whole summer there and you're making me go back in a week for your wedding."

"Wait until you see it, Cam," Stella spoke up. "It's so beautiful."

Jamie and Tyler walked in to join the others then and Tyler went right to Camryn's side. He loved how easily she, Stella, and Avery had gotten along and how quickly they became friends. It would've sucked if the sisters hadn't liked her.

"The dogs are in your backyard eating their dinner," Tyler told Stella. "So what are we having?"

"Is that why you showed up unannounced?" Stella teased.

"There's no food at my house, and I couldn't expect Cam to stop at the grocery store first and then whip us up something out of this world; we've been in the car for two days."

"You're lucky I like you, Seguin."

"You love me."

"Of course I do; you're a part of the family. And we're having spaghetti."

They stayed for several hours and Tyler and Jamie did the dishes alongside Jordie while Stella put her two boys to bed and then enjoyed a glass of wine with Avery and Camryn. When they got back to Tyler's place, he brought their things inside while Camryn got the dogs situated.

Marshall and Cash followed Camryn to the bedroom where Tyler was just finishing putting clean sheets on his bed. He looked up as they entered and Tyler snapped his fingers at the dogs, pointing at the dogs as he commanded them.

"Place."

The two dogs turned and trotted out of the room and Tyler looked to Camryn with a grin. "No way I'm sharing you tonight," he said as he went back to fixing the bed.

She laughed. "You're jealous of your dogs."

"My dogs love you and hog your attention. I want some of that attention too."

"Jealous," she sing songed.

"Of my dogs monopolizing my hot as hell girlfriend? Fuck yes!"

Camryn laughed as she flopped down on the bed and Tyler crawled up beside her, laying his head across her lap. She stroked his hair with a smile. "You're adorable, Segs."

"Adorable?" He pouted. "What happened to sex on legs?"

"That's when you're naked."

"Well in that case..." He smirked, sitting up and pulling his shirt off, "let's get naked."

~*~*~


After training camp and a month into the season, Camryn had found a job, replacing the head chef at Tom and Pete's catering company who had left for Vermont. It left her a little bit of flexibility to attend most of Tyler's games that fell on weeknights, and weekends whenever there wasn't an event happening.

She had let her apartment go when she left for Toronto, and hadn't looked for someplace new when she got back. Tyler didn't seem to mind that she had taken up space in his closet though and had given her a key shortly after they returned to Dallas, although he had never actually asked her to move in.

They were enjoying tacos, watching football on TV on a Sunday night in November when Tyler looked over at her. "Do you have enough room in the closet?"

"Your closet? Um, yes."

He nodded. "I was thinking we should get a bigger dresser though. Something with six drawers. Or a wider and taller four drawer one and an armoire maybe."

"You want to buy new furniture?"

"Yeah; I want to make sure you have enough space. You are living here after all."

"You didn't ask me to though."

"You lived with me this summer. I thought it was just a given; that's why I gave you a key. Plus you never left."

"I don't have my own place here anymore."

"So you were planning on staying."

"No. Well I mean, maybe. It is kind of nice to live in your giant house."

Tyler laughed. "It's kind of nice sharing it with you. Thanks for kissing me outside a hotel bathroom."

"I was saving you from those gigglers."

"Thank you for that too."

"You're welcome."

"You know, I told Stella and Avery I wanted to meet someone, someone that I could be happy with like Jordie and Jamie but I never thought it'd be this easy. I've got a reputation, a past, and you didn't even bat an eye at it."

She smiled. "It gave me pause, that night I met you. But you were so earnest. I thought that there was no way you were a good guy but then you made my birthday pretty great and you didn't push when I came to your house. Everyone has a past, and we're not limited to that, and you're definitely not limited by that. You're better, Tyler. And I love all of you, good and bad."

He leaned in to kiss her. "I'm really glad to hear that because otherwise this next part would be awkward."

"Awkward?"

He whistled for the dogs and the pair came crashing into the room, sitting at his feet. He nudged Marshall towards Camryn. "Marshall has a present for you."

She looked at him and then to the dog who sat looking up at her expectantly. Light glittered off his collar and she peered more closely before letting out a gasp.

Tyler slid from the couch to the floor, kneeling in front of her. "If I could have described and conjured up the perfect girl for me, I never would've gotten anywhere close to how perfect you actually are. I'm glad we got the summer together, and I'm really glad you're living here with me. But what would make me the happiest is if you would marry me. So what do you say, Cam? Wanna make an honest man out of me?"

"Yes! I say yes!" She squealed, launching herself at him. She fell on top of him in the floor and Tyler laughed before rolling her off of him and standing, offering his hand to bring her to her feet as the two dogs barked.

Tyler untied the ring from Marshall's collar, slipping it into her finger. "Perfect," he grinned. He pulled her to him, lifted her off the ground and twirled her around before setting her down to kiss her.

The kiss was long, slow, and sweet. When they broke apart, Camryn smiled at him. "Now you have to break the news to your adoring public."

"Tomorrow," he laughed, tugging her forward and heading towards the bedroom. "We'll break hearts around the world tomorrow."

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
I am working on another story in this universe with Jason Demers. I'll post it as a sequel to this so if you're subscribed, you'll get a notification when it's starting. Thanks for joining me and thank you for your comments. :)