The Heart Wants What It Wants

The Heart Wants What it Wants (Chapter 4)

VIOLET
I was extremely tired and my feet hurt. The dinner was really busy tonight and I couldn't wait to get home and go to bed. I definitely wasn't ready for the surprise I got when I got home. All the lights were on and music was blaring through the open windows.

"Ella!" I really don't want to have to deal with complaining neighbors tonight. I walk into the house looking around for her. I push past a bunch of people and into the kitchen. "Alright off the table!" I shouted to the couple who was making out on top of it. They glared but got off anyway. "Ella you're so dead when I find you."

SAM
Jimmy, Ella and I were sitting on the couch at Violet's house while teenagers danced wildly around us. I couldn't keep myself from glancing at the door and wondering when Violet would get here. It was already 2am.

As if on Que the front door flew open and in came a very upset Violet. She was still in her work uniform and her hair was in a messy pony tail.

"Hey, Ella, she's here and she doesn't look to happy." She glances at the door and hops behind the couch with aloud thud. I laugh.Violets eyes scan the crowd before she made her way to the kitchen. Yeah Ella's screwed.

"Is she gone?" Ella asks from behind the couch.

"Yeah." She sighed and sat back down between us. Suddenly the music stopped and everyone was running towards the door. I looked around for the source of the panic and had to hold in my laughter when I saw Violet swinging a wooden baseball bat at everyone and yelling something I couldn't make out. Ella jumped up from the couch going to stop her.

"What the hell are you doing!"

"You!" Violet yelled, swinging the bat around to point at Ella, narrowly missing her. She backs away with her hands up in an I surrender gesture.

"Now I know you're angry but you-"

" I come home from a long day at home wanting to sleep! And I find that there's still a party here!" Right now it's hard to believe they're best friends.

"You still didn't have to chase them out with a bat!"

"Well they wouldn't leave!"

"That doesn't mean you get the bat!" Violet growled and stomped off to the kitchen and returning with a broom and trash bags. She handed the broom to Ella and took a trash bag for herself. Ella sighed. Violet turned to Jimmy and I and tossed us the roll of trash bags.

"You can help or get out." I didn't even know she knew we were here. Jimmy got up to help and I contemplated leaving but then I looked over at Violet. She looked so tired I thought she was gonna pass out. I walk up to her and take the trash bag from her.

"Go sit down." I said. She looked at me with question in her eyes but I pushed her towards the couch. She sat down with a huff and I began to clean.

It took us about an hour to fix everything up and by that time Violet was out. I laughed at her goofy position on the couch and lifted her feet onto my lap so I could sit down while Jimmy and Ella sat on the other couch.

"Poor Vi, I didn't want to make her angry. But I guess I'm glad today is Friday and she can finally sleep." We all look at Violet and as if sensing our gaze she shifted positions.

"I'm sure she'll be perfectly fine tomorrow." She nodded but didn't look so sure.

"Maybe I'll just make her breakfast." She sighed while I took off Violet's shoes.

"Why'd you have a party anyway?" I asked.

" I wanted to give her a chance to meet someone but after what she did tonight I don't think that any guy that was here would want to get anywhere near her." I laughed. I know that if she swung a bat at me I wouldn't either.

"You know for someone who doesn't believe in love she sure does care a lot about you Ella."Jimmy commented.

"I guess so or it could be the fact that I'm her only friend and she doesn't want to be alone."

"Somehow I doubt being alone has anything to do with it." I said. "She seems like she'd be fine on her own."

" Yeah. I just want to feel like she needs me. I know she doesn't...you know she's convinced herself that no one cares about her?" She said thoughtfully.

"How does that even happen?" I ask. How can someone think that when they have people who care right in front of them.

"I don't know."

"Then how-"

" I read part of her journal once, maybe like half of the first page but I felt really guilty and quickly put it back where I'd found it. She just never talked about her feelings or anything so I was curious."

"If that's what's on the first page I'd hate to see what's in the rest of it." Violet suddenly jumped off the couch and ran into the coffee table, flipping over it.

"What the hell!" She yelled from where she lay on the floor. Ella jumped up to help her up but she ignored the offer. she stood up looking around at all of us.

"Are you ok?" Jimmy asked. she nodded sighing.

"Just a bad dream. It doesn't matter."

"That must have been some dream to make you bolt up like that." She shrugged and sat back down.

"What's today?"

"Saturday morning." I replied. She looked up at the clock and I could see the bags under her eyes and her face was really pale. This girl has to worry about a lot of things she shouldn't at her age.

"Is there any hot coffee?" She asked.

"No, do you want me to make some?" Ella offered.

"Nah, I'll do it." She got off the couch and disappeared into the kitchen. We all sat there quietly as everything went silent in the kitchen but Violet stayed in there.