The Heart Wants What It Wants

The Heart Wants What it Wants (Chapter 5)

VIOLET

I finish making the pot of coffee and sat down at the table. I guess since there's no way I'm getting back to sleep after this I'll just go grocery shopping. The coffee finished so I put some in a portable mug and set it on the counter. I quickly walked down the hall and changed out of my clothes. Only to come back to find Sam drinking MY cup of coffee!

"Hey!-"

"Shh. They're sleeping."

"That's my coffee." I whispered furiously.

"Oh sorry, here you want it back?"

"Ew now way." I reluctantly made myself another cup and put on a jacket.

"Where are you going?" He asked curiously.

"Grocery shopping." I pause at the weird look in his eyes. Sadness? No it can't be. Must be a trick of the light. He doesn't even have a reason to be sad.

"I'll come with you, I have a car." He offered. I thought it over and agreed. This way I can get everything I need and not have to worry about carrying it all back.

"Alright." I wrote a note telling Ella where I was going before I followed Sam out the door and into the car.

"Thanks." I said as we pulled into the parking lot.

"No problem." There's that look again.I shook my head and got out and walked into the store. "Ohh I'll get the cart." He ran off coming back a few minuted later with a cart. I took it from him and started down the first aisle.

SAM

By the end of the shopping trip Violet had stopped talking. I tried asking her what was wrong but she kept ignoring me and I'm beginning to worry about her. I pulled into the driveway and she shot out of the car heading for the back where she carried as many groceries as she could and headed inside. I followed grabbing the rest of the bags.

When I got inside she was nowhere to be found. I set the bags down on the kitchen table where Ella was putting groceries away. Jimmy sat watching her.

"Where's Violet?" I asked.

"Probably in her room." Ella answered.

"What's wrong with her?"

"I don't know...she gets like this sometimes and she'll never talk to me. She always has that look on her face though, like somethings bothering her. She'll become emotionless and won't speak. At that point she runs to her room."

"Do we need to check on her?"

"No, she locks the door and won't answer. Don't expect to see her again today." I've never met anyone who's so hard to understand. I don't know how Ella deals with it. I would be so frustrated that I didn't know what was wrong or if it was my fault. I looked down the hall wondering what Violet was doing.

"Don't worry about her. She's probably just writing in her journal or something." I tore my gaze away from the hall and looked at Ella.

"She was fine this morning." I mumbled, sitting down at the table. A few minutes later Violet was standing in the doorway with her work uniform on.

"I'm headed to work." She said monotone.

"So early?" Ella asked.

"Yeah, someone called in sick and she asked me to fill in for them." She shrugged heading for the front door.

"When will you be back?"I asked.

"Around three." She mumbled walking out the door.

"How does she get to work?"

"She walks."

"I could take her then." I went to get up but Ella grabbed my arm.

"Don't. She needs to be alone for now." I slowly sat back down staring at the door. I can't imagine someone having so much emotion bottled up inside of them and not letting someone in.