Sequel: The Chair

Sleeping With Lions

1. Sleeping With Lions

Things are getting worse. I don’t know how much longer I can keep things up. It isn’t like life has always been peachy-keen rainbows and unicorns, but I really messed up this time. Big. Ever since I turned 18 I have earned my living in an unconventional way, and you can’t really blame me, the only places who attempted to give me jobs were shit-holes where I got minimum wage, not enough hours, and harassed by my bosses. No thank you, and how am I supposed to live on 15 hours a week at under $8 an hour? You can forget about trying to juggle three jobs just to get a ghetto studio apartment, too. When I got this job offer, it wasn’t too hard of a choice to make.

I am a privately contracted escort. My details are a bit different than the usual “escort” you hear about as well. “Mistress” would almost be a more appropriate term for what I am. Basically a couple of perverted rich men pay me to do what they want me to do, or who they want me to do. I get my money from one man, he is the boss of everyone I am with, and it is more than enough to have a nice home for myself. They even pay for my medical check-ups, to make sure none of us are unhealthy. I know, it’s a weird “job” to have. One big rule I gave them though, was no cameras, ever. When the time comes that I am ready to do something else, I don’t want any of this to come back to haunt me.

I even managed to get myself a very sweet, albeit not completely understanding boyfriend. We don’t live together, but he does spend a lot of time in my home. The thing is, I am on-call for work, so I do have quite a bit of down time. My boyfriend’s name is Aleksi, he is a tall, has long black hair and tends to wear black leather, a lot. People who don’t know him would consider him to be gothic, but he’s really a regular person, not really more one thing than another. He definitely doesn’t like it, but he knows I have sex with other people as part of my job, and he just tries to get me to leave the job, instead of being demeaning to me about it. What he doesn’t know, is that I recently stumbled upon the true identity of my employers, and now I don’t think I will be able to get out of this game alive. I don’t know how to tell him, my boss happens to also be a local mob-boss.

A couple of days ago when I was showing up to the big mansion I always go to for these people, I accidentally walked in on a murder. I’m still not sure if it was actually something they considered an accident. They are the ones who told me what time to be here, and a few visits ago gave me my own key to let myself in. I definitely wasn’t expecting what I found though, nor was I ready for it. They were right in the entry way, I walked in, heels clicking on the marble floor as I entered, and I turned to shut the door behind me. When I turned back around, two men had entered the same parlour that I was in. One was a familiar face whom I had serviced many times, and he was yelling at the other unfamiliar man, who was begging for his life. It all happened so fast, when Jim pulled the trigger I couldn’t stop myself from screaming as I was sprayed with the dead man’s blood. My platinum hair and white dress and coat had a fine red mist coating them.

Panic instantly broke out in the house with higher ups in the household calling him an idiot, while he tried to quiet me by telling me to shut up with a hand over my mouth and gun to my head. My boss made his way to the situation and they made me an offer, this one wasn’t as nice as my original offer. I asked for a few days to think about it. They granted my request on the condition that someone tail me to make sure I wasn’t going to the cops.

This was the first night that I was a complete bitch to Aleksi when he definitely didn’t deserve it. All he had asked me was his usual, “When are you going to quit your job? You know you have enough saved up, and I can take care of the house if you want to go to school or something.” He was always sweetly pushing me to be a better person, and who I wanted to be.
“We’ve been over this a thousand times Aleksi!” I screamed at him in irritation. “I don’t want to have to rely on someone else to pay my bills, I work for what I have! Stop trying to change me, you knew what I was before you got involved with me.”
“Yeah, I knew you sucked dick for a living, but I didn’t realize you were just a whore.” He countered my anger. This spewed an argument that seemed like it would never end. And even though we keep making up, we have been having these long, mean fights every night. I just don’t have the heart to tell him that I can’t quit my job now, not without being dead. That was what they offered me, death, or to move into their mansion and become a part of the family. Not really, I was a whore so it wasn’t like they were going to have someone marry me and treat me with respect, but now I was a liability, and their favorite fuck-toy. So, they figured they could just keep me closer to them, and just get an allowance instead of my usual payment. I don’t want to die, but I don’t know if I can take that offer. That has caused us a lot of stress.

Truth be told, we had been having problems in our relationship, Aleksi and I, for a little while now. He loves me, and wants me to quit this job and be with him. I’m not ready for that kind of commitment to anyone or anything. I care about him deeply, but I don’t love him the same way that he loves me. Whenever he and I are intimate, I can tell he is disturbed, knowing I have done things with others. There have been a few times I have come home with bruises and he just makes this face, and traces them with his fingers. Every time I could see his heart break a little bit more, and every time I felt a little bit guiltier for it. I had made my choice.

I didn’t want to completely break my dear Aleksi’s heart and I knew if I faced him he would find a way to talk me out of it, so I wrote him a note:

My Dearest Aleksi,

I’m really sorry to be writing you this letter. I always kept a lot of the details about my job a secret from you, and I still need to. I have gotten into some trouble, I just can’t get out of, and I can’t bear to get you involved. So, I am leaving. I love you. You are a very strong person and I know you will be fine without me. Please, move on, forget about me and go find someone who can love you the way you deserve to be loved. I don’t have a lot of time, but just know, you did nothing wrong, I’m just not the kind of person you need. For that I am truly sorry.

All my love,

Misty


Then I drove to the mansion and I hesitated outside for a moment, drinking in the silence in the car. I knew once I gave them my decision I was dead, I just wanted to see it rain one last time before my death. I cried to myself, I had thought about suicide many times, this isn’t all that different. It’s someone else pulling the trigger, but it is still my own choice. I’ve wasted my life anyway, I never did anything good and I made all the wrong decisions to lead myself into the arms of this murderous family. I couldn’t really see any other options. I took a deep breath and got out of the car and walked up to the door. Even though I had a key, I knocked. The disappointment in my boss’s eyes was heartbreaking when I told him, as it was the only emotion he showed. He told me he was sorry to hear that I just couldn’t be a slave to someone, and he raised his gun to my face. I closed my eyes, crying in fear, and heard a loud pop, and then nothing. I slowly opened my eyes to see a man I hadn’t seen before standing over my boss, with a gun pointed at him. He extended his hand to me and said, “Let’s go. We need to hurry.”

I took his hand and he pulled me to my feet, and drug me through the mansion, past a few more dead bodies, and out to his car. “Who are you?” I asked him in awe.

“My name is Douglas.”

“Okay, what is going on, where are you taking me?” I asked, a name doesn’t really give me much.

“I’m taking you somewhere safe, where you can start over.” And that was all he said. He continued to drive on, out of the city and finally out of the state. I just gazed out the car window as he drove and smiled as the rain started to pour.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next piece will be "The Chair".

Thank you for reading!