Royal Assassin

Prologue

Prologue.

Dearest Brother.

I am afraid businesses will bring me henceforth to York in the coming weeks. I am displeased to have heard of the unrest within this region, whilst my hopes reside in your capable and swift resolution to the problem, the Lord Chamberlain and Lady Duchess of York do think it right I should visit the ancient city you do favour. A ghastly place as full of plague and illness as London, with people who like me little. No matter, for I heard trade is good with Italian merchants preferring the northern winter air.

I shall send word before my journey.

Edwardus Rex.

The neatly form letters lay smudging on wet, frozen ground whilst inches away thick blood crystallized on the ice it slowly thawed. Blue velvet turning purple as it spoiled. No one spoke as they crowded round, men nudging one another and glancing with curious faces whilst covering their wives eyes from the horrors that lay before them. Feet shuffled from side to side as the crowd fought to stay warm, unable to move enough to tear themselves away from the terrible sight.

“Move aside! I said move aside!” The voice shouted loudly at those curious unfortunates towards the back of the slowly dispersing crowd. Men jumped from the way as panicked horse hooves parted them, quickly they pulled their wives and children too as the white gelding forced its way. The rider jumped from the saddle with confidence moments after bringing the beast to a halt. “Sir Francis, have these people return to their houses.” The man spoke with a hushed voice as he huddled by the horse of one of his accompanying riders before he stepped away, removing fine leather gloves with delicate hands that were more befitting of a woman.

“Go on! You heard my lord! All of you, go home. It will be curfew soon.” The younger man addressed the crowd with a voice filled with authority.

Francis Lovell joined his master as he looked at the mess upon the uneven cobbles. The man was gently nudging the body with a tentative leather boot. Lovell's own foot turned the body onto it's back to reveal the face of a young man barely beyond boyhood. Both men cringed. “These clothes are familiar.” Lovell spoke in a whisper.

“The uniform the King's couriers.” Richard spoke with dissatisfaction. His eyes squinting as he investigated the man's body.

“You know him?”

Richard shook his head, his eyes falling upon the letter. Kneeling he used the glove to lift the blood stained parchment. “Jesu, this is a bloody mess. When treason is happening on our doorstep.” Richard rose to his full height, placing the parchment in the saddlebag of his distressed gelding, a hand stroking the beasts neck. “Shh Pegasus, calm boy.” He wiped the glove on the animals saddle rug. Placing his hand on the animal's mane, he looked back to the body and shuddered. Placing one foot in the stirrup, his eyes never leaving the corpse as he swung into the saddle. “Francis, have this mess cleaned up.”

He didn't watch to see his friend and servant nod, nudging Pegasus with his heel he pulled the reins tight. What a story this would be, what a mess. Men would be digging for gossip and it would be the morning before men were in taverns selling details.

All the while Richard himself had to prepare for a royal visitor.

What a bloody mess.