Status: An ongoing story of mine; Cover was made by Book-Cover-Creator from Wattpad, it is only temporary

The Hidden Shadows Within the Clouds

Chapter 4

I opened my eyes. I was in a dull blue-gray room, the temperature not cold, yet not quite hot, a comfortable in-between. The wings on my back were sore. I ruffled them, not sure how they quite worked, but seemed instinct to me.
I realized I must’ve been asleep for the rest of the day.
Was it nighttime? I thought. How did I know so much of this world? My memories were mysterious to me, but it was time to stop questioning it.
The room, as I suspected it would have been, without a door. The room was large to me, very spacious. There was a bedside table beside the queen-sized bed. It smelled like clouds in here, and I didn’t know where the image of clouds came from this type of smell, but, again, didn’t have qualms about it.
There was a tall window, as if the function were to be a full-sized mirror and a window as well. The view was beautiful, overlooking the Pale Palace, the buildings floating on the clouds, as if the hundreds of tons of marble didn’t matter. There were houses of different structures, not all the same. Roads and streets and shops and stores…it looked almost like a normal town would.
The floor was marble as well, but wasn’t cold when I placed my feet on the floor. It was quiet, a bit too quiet for my liking and decided I needed some fresh air.
I got up from the bed and searched along the walls where I thought a door would be. I found a notch in the wall, a slight indent. I stood back somewhat and touch in the middle of where the door would be. Particles made way for my finger before I could touch it. I slowly walked through it, amazed by it. I walked all the way through, the particles rearranging themselves back into the wall again.
I tried to be soundless. There was a narrow hallway that probably led to Sky’s room. I felt along the wall again and found another particle door that opened up to a stairway leading to the downstairs.
I tip-toed down the stairs, somewhat flapping my wings to steady myself and also to keep quiet. I was still getting used to the weight I had to carry on my back. I found the door and went through to the living room.
It seemed slightly creepy with the dark room. There were still designs on the wall, black circles, against a gray wall, floating around randomly as if they’ve got no exact location they wanted to go to. I found the outside door, went out, and flapped my wings, embracing the wind and purity. I wasn’t cold. I wasn’t scared. I found myself trying out my bravery, flapping my wings in preparation. I needed to have some independence, especially in a place holding no friends, as such.
I backed up to the perimeter of the house and started running. I picked up speed, though it was harder with my wings holding me back, but gained enough. I flapped my wings with sudden strength and confidence, flapping more the faster I got.
Now, the house, I have to say, was quite tall. I had second thoughts about this tactic and thought going through the window would be easier, but I kept going. My feet left the ground as I started to breathe heavier.
I can make it up there, I told myself, and I was getting up there.
I kept flapping and gained more altitude, my heart beating out of my chest, crawling towards my throat, threatening to fly up as well.
The view was amazing, even better than from the window. I could see each and every house¬¬-
I faltered, dropping a few inches, as well as my heart, as if my heart were flying right beside me. I was so tired, feeling like I wouldn’t be able to make it up all the way. Beads of sweat ran down my temple.
I wanted to scream in frustration; something like this shouldn’t take this much effort. I remembered a shred of memory that pretty much told me, “This too hard for you? You’ve done it before, you idiot.” Seems like what Flame Guy would say.
I finally got up. Well, I mean, almost. I had gripped the edge of the roof. I mustered up my last bit of energy and strength to flap my wings just enough to swing my legs over.
I was heaving in and out, totally exhausted. It wasn’t much of a feat to be proud of. I got up on one knee and looked over the edge. I wasn’t afraid of heights, but that’s nothing to boast about either. I bet anyone living here already, even the young ones, and could have done that in a few seconds. I sighed, my heart still beating at a high rate, glad I couldn’t see anyone around to snicker at my effort.
The view from the window was good, but this was way better, even if it had to take a while to get up here.
I looked back at my wings, examining them . I didn’t fancy the clothing I was in, but it was all I got.
The air seems to shoot through my soul and cleanse it from all bad things the world has contaminated it with. I stretched my wings and all of my limbs, feeling free. I don’t know if I’ll ever get the chance to feel this ever again in my life, but I’ll try to cherish it while it lasts.
I finally sit down, facing the rising sun. I felt dark shadows creeping under my eyes. Yup, I sure got my beauty sleep.
The sun was a rising fireball, ready to take its way around the Earth, just to keep going on and on, forever.

Not forever.
There is no forever.
Everything has its end, even the sun, even the world. Nothing lasts forever.
I let my legs dangle off the edge of the building, happy I am alive, if not in the best place. Today will be the day I’ll understand more, even if I cannot understand everything about this place and these people. The sun was beautiful, a mixture of reds and oranges and yellows, making colors that only last for minutes. Bright colors that leave marks on your mind, images that I will not forget.
I had dozed off for a while now, picking the most likely theories on the meaning of why I am here. I didn’t have a great one of course, and I couldn’t decide on one complex or even simple enough to make sense to me.