Status: An ongoing story of mine; Cover was made by Book-Cover-Creator from Wattpad, it is only temporary

The Hidden Shadows Within the Clouds

Chapter 6

When we left the building, I felt my breath push out of my throat, as if I had been holding it the whole time. Meeting a king, who didn’t state his title aloud, was strange; I would have thought that a king would be more...outgoing and proud, perhaps. This place was very strange and alien to me. Though...I didn’t even know who I was.
Pyrros turned to me and said, “Alright, where haven’t you gone?”
“How am I supposed know? I didn’t know you were all formal and proper,” I replied with a smug smile as his fiery hair flared up.
“We’re supposed to honor the king. I don’t think an outsider like you would understand.” He sniffed at me, and then walked away, probably expecting me to follow him. I looked towards Sky, but he shrugged, and seemed to stifle a glare. I didn’t think Pyrros had much power over Sky, but I suppose I was wrong.
“Pyrros is the king’s right-hand man, and is, unfortunately, powerful in rank.”
“But...–” I thought for a second, “–but he doesn’t have wings.”
“Not all people of Aryll have wings. We usually find them fighting for the Phthorians. Usually, they’re forced to fight, but some actually believe they’re meant to be Phthorian. I don’t understand that.” His eyes lingered on my wings for a second, and then turned away, following Pyrros. I shook myself, feeling suddenly contaminated, as if his look had infected me somehow. I followed, a bit reluctantly.
We travelled for a bit on the wide roads, passing stores and people shopping. I still hated the way everyone looked at me, but I was becoming used to it rather quickly.
Pyrros and Sky led me to a small but wide building. Before they opened the doors, I saw Pyrros smirk at me, and he said, “I want to see how much you fail.”
He opened the double doors and gestured mockingly to let me go before him .
“Ladies first,” he said. I rolled my eyes and walked into the room.
It wasn’t quite a room, more like an inside field; it looked like it could fit (about three football fields), and it was filled with various equipment and obstacles, like hurdles and rings, scattered all throughout the room, even on the ceilings. There were people, more young than old, running and flying the obstacles with grace, as if they didn’t need any of the practice. Though, some little ones stumbled through some of them, they were probably just learning. I’d probably be worse, considering I was bigger and heavier than they were, and still just learning.
A lean man with large white wings with brown spots on the tips of his feathers approached us. He wore a thin shirt, and I could see the stretch of his muscles that were slightly bulging. He had a five o’clock shadow, but it was cut clean .
“And who is this?” he asked with a deep voice, not trying very hard to hide the suspicious tone.
“This is Topaz. She’s new here,” said Pyrros, giving the man an almost stern look, as if to tell him telepathically to extinguish his suspicions, “Topaz, this is the Flying Instructor, Steel.”
I smiled at him instinctively and shook his sweaty outstretched hand, wanting to wipe my hand against the dress, but didn’t, being polite.
“So, you’re new…? I would’ve thought you’d already had some training in flying…” He trailed off, the words he hadn’t spoken ringing in my ears.
She’s a spy…
I shivered, chills running down my spine. Steel seemed to take this as a shiver of anxiousness or excitement. He put his hand on my back, leading me over to another doorway. I looked back at Sky and Pyrros. Pyrros smirked at me while Sky smiled and waved at me. I waved back as Steel led me to another doorway. We walked through it as I realized it was another extension to the building, but this room was empty and smaller. There were various equipment and obstacles scattered around the room in a sort of obstacle course.
“Okay, so you can’t fly?” he asks.
“Barely.” I answered.
“Alright, well–”
There was a sound of pounding feet and flapping wings, becoming louder and louder, closer to the doorway. A short, elfish teen with white wings (with each feather tinted a sky blue) came blundering in the doorway, breathing heaving breaths and putting a hand to the doorway.
“Steel! Steel come quickly! There’s been a carriage accident and they’ve been injured–”
“Who’s been injured?” Steels friendly appearance had been replaced by a serious and almost frantic expression. I could tell he was somewhat panicked, but he controlled it.
The elfish boy started babbling on about what happened. I never knew someone could talk this fast .
“The Head Officer, sir! A broken wing I think it was–” But Steel was already bustling out of the door, and I was left alone. I wasn’t sure what to do. Seconds later, Sky came in and leaned against the doorway and gave me a smile. It was friendly, but also seductive. I knew that was his intention.
“So, it seems I’ll have to teach you myself.” I shuddered inwardly from the fantasies floating through my head. I don’t know how this will turn out. He walked over to me gracefully, and I thought to myself that he resembled a cat, with his graceful steps and positioning, as if he might take a step out of place. He was confident, but also slightly careful, as if making sure he did everything right. He was angelic, with his pure white wings brushing behind him. His stride was long, and it did not take him too much time for him to come over to me, although it felt to me as if the world were in slow motion.
“Okay, so you can barely fly. I can help you with that, Little Bird.”
“’Little Bird’? What’s with the nickname?”
“I felt it was necessary.”
“Well, your definition of ‘necessary’ is quite different from mine. And perhaps the rest of the worlds’.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not finished