‹ Prequel: Silver Spirits
Sequel: Blurred Horizons

Dark Tides

Chapter Ten

Emily was pondering faking sudden illness as she approached the Harrington house. Although more than likely it wouldn't need to be faked, as the mere sight of Gregory Harrington tended to make her queasy. She walked slowly, though she knew it was only prolonging the inevitable. She marched up to the front door and knocked like a woman meeting her executioner. The Harrington's butler opened the door.

"Miss Weldon, how nice to see you. Do come in, Master Gregory is expecting you in the parlor."

"Then perhaps I should head to the library," Emily quipped, and was surprised to see the butler smile.

"I must admit I wouldn't be able to blame you, Miss Weldon." He winked and Emily decided she liked him. She entered the parlor and found Gregory standing with his back to the doorway, gazing out the window. The table was adorned with small pastries and sandwiches.

"Miss Weldon is here, sir."

"Thank you, Rogers. You may go now."

Rogers bowed and stepped out, shooting Emily an apologetic glance as he shut the door. Gregory was across the room in several quick strides, taking her hand and planting a kiss on it before gesturing for her to sit down. While he wasn't looking Emily wiped her hand on her skirt. She sat stiffly at the table while Gregory beamed at her.

"It's wonderful to see you again, Emily. I apologize for that fiasco at the Industrial Faire, it was quite shameful. Those inventors need to take better care in making sure their creations work. I could have been killed."

"Yes wouldn't that have been a tragedy."

Anyone but Gregory would have heard the derision in her voice, but naturally he missed it completely as he stared at her face like it was the most interesting thing he'd ever seen. Emily couldn't believe how many girls fell for this nonsense. He was probably staring into her eyes in hopes of seeing his own reflection. Emily took a small cake and nibbled it so she didn't have to look at him anymore.

"Aren't we supposed to have a chaperone present?" she asked. Normally she loathed being chaperoned, but it made her feel on edge to be alone with Gregory. He smiled.

"I thought you'd prefer not having one," he said. "You are known for being a bit of a rule shirker." He chuckled and she bristled at his condescending tone.

"I have something for you," he added, rising from the table and plucking up a bouquet tied together with a green ribbon from a vase on one of the bookshelves.

"I put it together myself," he said. Emily accepted the flowers reluctantly. It was a bright and beautiful display, and her first thought was that it must have come from a florist. Gregory would never root around picking flowers. He must have sent a servant to pick it up. But as she spun it around to look at each flower, she noticed a tiny flash of yellow amid the leaves. Upon closer inspection she realized it was a dandelion. She couldn't stop the smile that spread across her face.

"I knew you'd like it," Gregory said proudly and she was immediately irritated that he'd take credit for someone else's work, not that she was surprised.

"I had to have some words with the gardener's new helper when I went to pick them," Gregory said and Emily's head snapped up. He was frowning in a most put out manner.

"Honestly I can't imagine why Mr. Daly chose such a man to work for him. He looks like he must have been in prison at some point in his life. Very shady and unsavory looking fellow. Do you know, his mother is some sort of fortune teller or other such nonsense. He took the job on to try and provide for her, though I tried to tell him it hardly seems worth the effort-"

"You what?" Emily gasped, horrified. Gregory seemed to misread her reaction, as he always did, and nodded solemnly.

"He'd be better off just trying to get his own life together. It was a bit of friendly advice, is all. But enough about that. I must admit I'm quite taken with you, Emily. I'm as surprised as anyone else. There's talk about you, you know. You are a remarkable beauty but you're much too spirited for a woman of your station. People speculate that you'll never find a husband, with all your quirks. I think they're wrong, though. I think you're just in need of a man who's willing to remind you of your place. That's why I asked you to lunch today." He smiled at her like he'd just offered her the Crown Jewels.

"My place?" she repeated icily, when her throat worked again. She had never felt so belittled in her entire life.

"Of course," Gregory said. "Your eccentricities and impropriety are difficult to swallow, but I think you can still be molded into a suitable match, with some work."

So furious she was shaking, she pulled her electrocution device out of her glove and pointed it at Gregory under the table. She shot him in the leg and he convulsed rather comically before falling face first into his plate of sandwiches, groaning.

"Clearly you're not feeling well, Mr. Harrington. Perhaps we should speak some other time." Emily swiped the bouquet off the table and marched out of the room. She encountered Rogers on her way downstairs.

"Mr. Harrington requires attention," she said. "I can show myself out." She was still trembling when she made it home, making her way to her room in a daze. She sat on her bed and stared out the window until the sun began to set. She didn't know even Gregory could sink so low. Did he really think insulting her was going to make her want to marry him?

"Telling a girl she needs fixing is hardly romantic," she told the kittens, who were chasing a ball of yarn around on her floor. She stared down at the flowers in her hand, plucking out the dandelion. And the way he'd spoken to Percy, telling him to give up on his own mother. The man deserved to be hanged. Barely thinking about it, she rummaged through her jewelry box and pulled out a small pendant she had made with some of the glass shards she had picked up back on the magical island. She put her flowers in a bar safely out of the reach of the kittens before climbing over her balcony and shimmying down the wall.

She pulled her coat around herself and set off toward The Smokes. Of course in her half crazed state of enraged indignation, it didn't occur to her that she hadn't the slightest idea where Percy actually lived. She let out a small growl of frustration. She couldn't exactly go door to door asking for him. She jumped as someone moved out of the shadows.

"You seem lost, darling."

"I should warn you," Emily said tersely, "I've already a most trying day and people who attempt to rob me end up regretting it."

The man held up his hands. "Easy, now. I don't rob people. I was merely wondering if I could be of some assistance. A pretty little thing like you shouldn't be wandering around these streets this late."

"Yes so I've been told," Emily said impatiently. The next person to tell her that was getting electrocuted. The man approached her, holding his hands up again as she tensed.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he said. "I just have a terrible weakness for damsels in distress."

Emily opened her mouth to snap that she wasn't in distress at all, but she paused. The man must live around here. She squared her shoulders.

"Maybe you can help me," she said. "I'm looking for someone."

"Aren't we all?" The man grinned.

"His name is Percival Everett."

The man's entire demeanor changed as soon as Emily said Percy's name. He stepped back from her slightly, his grin fading into a small grimace.

"I see," he said.

"Do you know where he lives?" Emily pressed. The man ran a hand over his face.

"I do. Well come on then."

Emily followed him, wondering what had promoted such a change in his manner. Perhaps he and Percy weren't on the best of terms. He led her to a small house and knocked on the door.

"Open up, Everett. I found something of yours."

"Luke, if this is another one of your pranks I swear I'll snap your neck." Percy opened the door and eyed the man skeptically. The man jerked a thumb over his shoulder at Emily.

"This one said she was looking for you."

"Emily?" Percy looked positively stunned and not altogether happy to see her. Emily gave a timid little wave.

"I'm sorry to just come barging in," she said meekly. "I saw Gregory today and....well I just wanted to apologize because he's such a horrible person."

Percy's brow furrowed. "You're not responsible for Gregory," he said.

"Well someone ought to be. I just feel so awful. I brought something for your mother."

That just seemed to confuse Percy all the more. Suddenly he winced as a crutch struck him in the back of the head. Emily jumped but no one else seemed taken aback.

"Don't be rude Percival. Let the girl in. Not you, Luke," a voice added sharply. Luke stepped aside and Emily slipped past him, eyeing him warily. She felt something on her foot and looked down to see Percy's kitten attacking her boot laces. It eased some of her pent up anger.

"Well," she said, kneeling to pick him up. "Aren't you just the cutest little ruffian?" She nuzzled his nose. "Your brothers and sisters are doing fine, in case you were wondering. Wreaking all kinds of havoc for poor Mrs. Browne. They've destroyed nearly every duster in the house."

She cuddled the little thing against her face, smiling as he swatted at the ribbon in her hair. She straightened up as she noticed the older woman sitting at the table, watching her. Emily felt suddenly self-conscious.

"Hello, Mrs. Everett," she said. The woman's blue eyes were piercing, even in the dim light and Emily tried not to squirm under her gaze.

"You're a friend of Percy's."

"Yes. My name is Emily. It's very nice to meet you."

Mrs. Everett smiled slightly and Emily relaxed a little. The woman seemed stern but her smile was kind. Percy was standing in the corner, looking uncomfortable. Emily pulled the small glass pendant out of her pocket.

"I really am sorry for just dropping by unannounced," Emily said. "It's been sort of a strange day. I just wanted to come by and apologize to Percy for something. And I wanted to give you this. I suppose it seems rather silly but I couldn't think of anything else to bring. From what Percy has told me about you I thought this was the only fitting thing I had."

She set the little necklace on the table and Mrs. Everett picked it up and appraised it.

"It's very beautiful," she said. "And sincere gifts are never silly, child. Please, sit."

Emily pulled out a chair and released the kitten, who scampered to Percy. Emily smiled. He seemed to like his new home.

"I also wanted to thank you, Percy," Emily said, daring to sneak a glance at him. "For the dandelion."

Percy smiled faintly and she felt relieved. Hopefully he wouldn't be too angry at her for bothering him at home. The tea kettle began to shrill and Percy moved to retrieve it, laying a hand on his mother's shoulder as he went by.

"I'll warn you now, Emily," he said. "If she offers to read your tea leaves, just let her do it."

Emily gave him a puzzled little frown. "Why on earth would I refuse? That sounds completely fascinating."